Wisco Gun Opener 2021

kroppr77

FNG
Opening day here in WI, good luck to everyone out there. Thought I’d see if there’s many WI people in here. Kinda warm by me today, gonna hit 45. Let’s hear how your days go.
stay safe and shoot straight

Netloss

FNG
I was only able to hunt a few hours this morning and only saw does. A lot of movement this afternoon from what I heard.

OP
kroppr77

kroppr77

FNG
I started at my normal bow stand and had our neighbors blast up some basket racks and fawns…then they started tracking deer at 8am and wanted to cross the property line. Some people just have no clue I guess. Went to another property and saw 6 or so doe and two smaller bucks I passed on. Average amount of shooting I’d say, in Marquette county.

Hunted all day yes. Had a doe with two fawns visit a few times, is all. Not a lot of shooting heard this so far.
Sitting all day again. We’ll see.
Good luck to all Wisco hunters!

WI75

FNG
This morning has been better than yesterday. Deer have been moving all morning. Oconto County.

NEWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
More shooting in Brown County this year than the last few. Saw some does and fawns and a little 3 pointer. Odds that I’m going to see something worth shooting are about 2%. Good luck everyone

Not hunting this year. Haven't heard much shooting in Portage County. Walked through a city park with a high deer herd. Only saw one mature buck with a lone doe. Smaller bucks were with does, but no pushing.

OMB

WKR
I bow hunted my parents farm in the southwest part of the state quite a bit over the last month and never had any encounters with bucks I felt like putting a tag on, so I was really pleasantly surprised to have this buck come through at 715 on opening day.

I didn't run cameras at all but apparently the neighbors had been seeing him show up quite a bit. I saw that he was outside the ears, got the gun up and shot him at 35 yards with two smaller bucks behind him. Ended up being a 5x6 with a sticker and grossed out at 161 3/8".

I haven't shot a buck on the home farm in 10 years and it felt like when I was a teenager again calling my dad to come back with the ATV to help me get one out. To have it be one of my better bucks made it even sweeter, and to have him hanging up early enough to get a nap in before the football game was even better.

Attachments

• 2021 WI buck.jpg
    2021 WI buck.jpg
    653.4 KB · Views: 92
I saw one doe on Saturday on my one man drive for my son. Apparently she did not receive her script as she went away from my son instead of to him. Talked to the group next to us and they did not see anything except coyotes.

He is going out today with some friends so hopefully he'll get lucky.

msalm

Lil-Rokslider
Sunday was much better, more deer movement and with my brother in law and nephew we filled two buck tags and a doe. Nothing special, 1 1/2 yo bucks and a good sized doe, but we had a lot of fun and got some exercise getting 3 deer back to the truck 1 1/4 miles away…thank God for game carts!

OP
kroppr77

kroppr77

FNG
Sounds like a guy shot a collared Elk near Portage this weekend, apparently mistaken for a Deer.
4 years in a row now, what a joke. Dnr needs to heavily increase the punishment/fine for that. I can’t believe how many people just shoot at fur. I think the punishment should be very similar to shooting a wolf illegally. Need heavy fine/jail, and no hunting rights for quite a while. People might actually think before they pull the trigger, I don’t get how on earth you’d mistake the two.

Buck197

WKR
Passed on a basket racked 8 point Mon. Passed does Tues Weds, busted a 10. And now today goes a doe season opening

12wander

FNG
Got this one opening morning about 5 minutes after the season opened. Came down a trail nose to the ground down wind of me. Only thing I can figure is a hot doe went through before I got to my tree stand. The woods were like cornflakes and I would have herd the doe if it went through when I was there. I herd him before I saw him.

C2D805DC-D674-44C8-86D6-CCB2BB27FA18.jpegA7CC9A13-EFE8-415A-A88B-A24A3329B6CA.jpeg