With the growing popularity of

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
handgun hunting how about a dedicated handgun forum on here?

OP
K

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
Is the popularity of it growing?
I think so, there is growing interest in it. I don't strictly handgun hunt but if someone called me to go deer hunting I would grab a revolver. Depending on the conditions/terrain I may also take a rifle. The biggest buck I ever shot was taken with a .44 magnum S&W Model 29. There has to be others on here who enjoy handgun hunting.

rob86jeep

WKR
It's hard to determine if there's actually a growing interest or it's just something you recently got interested in so you hear/read about it more now. When I was back east, I was interested in getting a handgun that would work for deer/pigs but have no interest in it now that I'm out west again (and I never hear about it anymore now that i'm not interested in it). I guess we'll see how much interest there really is based upon how many people chime in on this post. I'm kinda curious now.

OP
K

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
It's hard to determine if there's actually a growing interest or it's just something you recently got interested in so you hear/read about it more now. When I was back east, I was interested in getting a handgun that would work for deer/pigs but have no interest in it now that I'm out west again (and I never hear about it anymore now that i'm not interested in it). I guess we'll see how much interest there really is based upon how many people chime in on this post. I'm kinda curious now.
Works for me

I’d like a handgun capable of shooting coyotes to 200 yds or so... was thinking contender in 223 but just haven’t researched enough.

fatbacks

WKR
Never really thought of it, but I have a heavy S&W heavy 44 mag laying around that I never touch... maybe I should scope it and mess around with it..... hmmmm

ODB

WKR
The handgun hunting thing has already had a big peak, back in the 1980s. If you don’t know the terms JDJ, HHI, Bob Milek, 6mm/7mm TCU, Magnaport Stalker/Predator, Bill Wilson’s 44 Redhawks, xp100, MOA and many more, you have a lot of catching up to do. Those guys laid down lots of road worth traveling...

16Bore

WKR
Oh crap....then they’ll be a long range handgun forum.

VernAK

WKR
It seems the handgun hunting crowd has diminished around here. A few try for black bears over bait yet. LGS seem to have lotsa very large bore, used handguns.

Rob5589

WKR
The handgun hunting thing has already had a big peak, back in the 1980s. If you don’t know the terms JDJ, HHI, Bob Milek, 6mm/7mm TCU, Magnaport Stalker/Predator, Bill Wilson’s 44 Redhawks, xp100, MOA and many more, you have a lot of catching up to do. Those guys laid down lots of road worth traveling...
Absolutely. I would read non stop about Bob Milek taking lopes at 300 yards with his 6mm/223, as well as other critters. To me, he was the king of killing stuff with a handgun back when. Plus he always wore those sweet 80's glasses :cool:

Reactions: ODB

ODB

WKR
Absolutely. I would read non stop about Bob Milek taking lopes at 300 yards with his 6mm/223, as well as other critters. To me, he was the king of killing stuff with a handgun back when. Plus he always wore those sweet 80's glasses :cool:

Ha! Those glasses!! And that hat! He was definitely the king of handgun hunting. He is the sole reason I ended up with a contender in 7-30 waters...

and the Dominator barrel for the 1911!! I was lucky enough to get to know its inventor, George Hoenig. A very fine fellow and one of the best gun builders to walk the planet.