Wolf Biologist Video

jolemons

WKR
This 20 minute video was produced by the Mountain Journal about a wolf field biologist. If you are a die hard wolf hater, do not waste your time watching this video and then posting negative comments. If you are fascinated with wolves or would like to know more about work being done to better understand their behavior and impacts on the environment, please enjoy.

True Wild: The Real Story Of Wolves On Ted Turner's Montana Ranch (mountainjournal.org

This 20 minute video was produced by the Mountain Journal about a wolf field biologist. If you are a die hard wolf hater, do not waste your time watching this video and then posting negative comments. If you are fascinated with wolves or would like to know more about work being done to better understand their behavior and impacts on the environment, please enjoy.

True Wild: The Real Story Of Wolves On Ted Turner's Montana Ranch (mountainjournal.org

I think we all know their impact on the environment without watching the video. Sorry but I think you’re preaching to the wrong crowd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’m not sure what pint night you’ve been to but if you shared that at one here in Idaho it definitely wouldn’t be welcomed lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s where the BHA crowd goes with their flat brims and craft beers to make friends and talk about their EPIC, once in a lifetime, back country adventures.

OP
jolemons

jolemons

WKR
Thanks guys, just here to spread the love. Fact is, they're here to stay and will likely be in Colorado soon. Competent biologists have told me that it is likely that their range will extend from the Canadian Rockies down to the Sangre de Cristos in New Mexico within a decade. I'm doing my due diligence in fact gathering and trying my best to understand them as a species. They are polarizing and I completely get the hatred and resentment, but those aren't my personal sentiments.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Okay, I watched it. It provides zero evidence, yet 100% feel good opinion. Zero stats on impacts. Zero stats on population changes in elk and bison. Zero stats on animals land use changes... All it is, is a film on hey, this is are opinion, and this is what you should believe. Zero evidence.

BuzzH

WKR
When it comes to wolves, evidence and facts do not matter. Its been presented on this forum a ton, from all kinds of peer reviewed sources, and emotion trumps facts every single time...

Bitterroot elk calf mortality study is not believed.

Idaho Statewide elk mortality study is not believed.

Studies on declining habitat in the Selway, not believed.

GY elk harvest statistics, not believed.

The list goes on and on and on...facts mean nothing in a wolf discussion, minds are already made up in spite of facts.

Lawnboi

WKR
I figure I spend about 3 hours a week on the toilet staring out my window where wolves live. That means over the next year I’ll spend 150 some hours studying wolves. Not as much as the lady in the video, but enough to know I don’t want them in my back yard. Takes a lot of dedication.

There I fed the troll.

Different animal in the Great Lakes region, we are still fighting for any real management.

TxxAgg

WKR
I enjoyed the video.

I've never seen a wolf in the wild so I don't have anything to contribute.

elkguide

WKR
Having guided on the edge of Yellowstone and having watched the decline of the elk herds and the complete obliteration of the moose and sheep herds, I can't say that I would agree with what this video portrays. Yes, wolves are an incredible animal. I enjoyed watching the native wolves before the new species of Canadian gray wolves were introduced and have to a point, enjoyed watching this new wolf. I am sure that on the Flying D Ranch, they can accept the "balance" of nature that they create.

However, when it comes to where the rest of society wants to venture and where we have been balancing "Mother Nature" and the animal populations with biological solutions that include hunting opportunities for the masses, without strict control over an incredible predator like the wolf, those of us that can't afford to buy a Flying D property and be able to decide that because of sagging numbers, we won't hunt this year, those of us "average Jacks and Jills" will be shut off from the opportunity and thrill of being able to feed ourselves and our families with some of the bounty of Mother Nature.

Is it awesome to see a wolf? Absolutely.
Is having wolves around the end of hunting? No BUT hunting will be less and less of a management tool and definitely only for the wealthy.

If and since we have these new Canadian wolves here among us, we now have to get to the point of balancing this new animal with the current (past and future) uses and management of wildlife and that's where we get into the Ford vs: GM debate. Unfortunately those of us on the hunting as the best management and use of a natural resource team..... don't have deep enough pockets.