Wood Burners

hunterjmj

WKR
Folks burnt wood growing up. Have no idea what brand they used over the years but I plan buying a QuadraFire here shortly.

Wheels

WKR
What kind of stove is everyone using ? Indoor vs outdoor . Brands ? Pros and cons . We have an indoor Lopi. Used hard over the past 22 years . Replaced door gasket but otherwise bulletproof
We have a Napoleon fireplace, installed when we built 20 years ago. Also replaced the door gaskets and new fans a couple years ago, but it’s been awesome. Heats the entire main floor, the kid sleeps downstairs and has to keep a heater in his room because the furnace never runs in the winter.

OP
P
We have a hearthstone on the west side of the house and a quadrafire on the east side. They have been very good.

I think the quadrafire is the most efficient but only slightly. We burn both when it is well below zero but most of the time we depend on the hearthstone becuse it is in the living room.

We usually get up in the morning, put fresh wood on the coals and pick up where we left off.

The house is a two story log house around 3200 sq ft. This year most nights were below zero for five months. Daytime temps ranged from below zero to 20. The house was very comfortable.

The only complaint has been the fan. The hearthstone fan is temp controled but you have to keep it clean and it is somewhat shortlived. The quadrafire has lasted but tends to vibrate the sheeting on the stove.

Both stoves burn very clean and have yet to see any buildup of creasote.

49ereric

WKR
What kind of stove is everyone using ? Indoor vs outdoor . Brands ? Pros and cons . We have an indoor Lopi. Used hard over the past 22 years . Replaced door gasket but otherwise bulletproof
Split rock fireplace with acucraft heavy duty insert…

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I have a Quadrafire insert in our fireplace that easily heats our house (2400 SF). I only burn about 1.5 cords a year but we live in Western WA where it's not real cold. Plus, I put in a heat pump a few years ago so the propane furnace doesn't run real much. Electricity is a lot cheaper than propane right now. I keep 3-4 cords in the ready. A couple neighbors have been cutting down mass quantities that don't burn and I have enough for 3+ years now.

Mine is indoor True North. It doesn't have the catalytic reburn tech, so it's limited to about 75% efficiency. However, it can get the temp on the main level of the house (1500 square feet) to 80+ when I load it up.. It sets on a hearth stone and with heat sinks on the sides and back I was able to mount close to the walls without additional hearth or fire preventives. It has the attached squirrel cage fan mounted on the back the pushes heated air from top of the stove out into the room. Then I run a ceiling fan in the same room slow to distribute.