Working out around shift work

I do shift work, 7 days on, 7 days off. On work days it's a 12.25 hr shift and 1.5 hr round trip drive , shower, sleep ect. I'm considering hitting the gym but simply won't have time on work days. Is a 7 on 7 off workout schedule a waste of time and money or is a case of "better than nothing"?

Rokbar

WKR
Yes, anything is better than nothing. I have found just doing push-ups help my strength. Plus, I don't feel the wear and tear. You can do them about anywhere descreetly. Pull ups are another good, quick exercise if you have access to a bar.

bascott1

WKR
What kinda badass job do you have to get 7 on 7 off? lol. I work on call and shift work as well, anything is better than nothing. But proper rest is key also. 20-30 mins a day on work days is better than nothing at all thats for sure.

JD7721

WKR
Do what you can when you can. Time management. Make it a priority to get something in on your work days even if it is only body weight at the house. Something is better than nothing. Proper nutrition will be beneficial during the consecutive days off. I struggle with a scheduling / consistency issue as well. I rotate shifts each week (days, evenings, and midnights.). We only get one scheduled long weekend off a month as well. Due to my career path and busy lifestyle, i feel as if i am maintaining more than anything and not making the strength or endurance gains that i feel as i should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elkangle

WKR
Its just dang tough to find time when 12-14 hours a day is spent on work....i find myself constantly trying to make work harder...take stairs, wall squats, jog when i can....im really not too far from getting a weighted vest I can hide

When at home in my few hours of down time I try and ride a stationary bike thats directly in the middle of my bedroom...and i dont have a big room

Block

WKR
If possible buy a set of small dumbbells to keep at work,, I work on a boat and I’m gone for 20-35 days at a time then home for 7-10.,, with a bar/plates/bands, couple sets of dumbbells I’m able to get in some killer workouts b4 bed or on night watches...

@WeiserBucks did you get anything going with your schedule and working out? I had a 12.5 hour work schedule with a 3 hour round trip commute thing as well. I tried to focus on quality of sleep during my work nights and then hit the gym hard on my days off. With a 7 on, 7 off, I would focus on body weight movements during my work days, but really managing sleep and recovery, then hammer the 7 days off in the gym. Hope you're getting it done!

jikkyo

FNG
That’s a rough schedule. I’m 4 on 4 off with 12 hour shifts and 1 hour commute. Used to get up at 330am in the morning to gym. Now I concentrate more on getting good sleep.

I’d hit the gym hard on days off. But still try and get something quick in on your work days. Even 1-2 quick workouts will be fine. Maybe a kettlebell complex or just some quick HIIT on a hill or bike

slivver71

FNG
I am a RN and work 12 hr shifts. i work an additional job so usually will do 3-4 12 hr shifts in a row. On my work days, my main concerns are making sure my 3 boys (basically a single dad here) and our animals are good, and getting my ass cleaned up at some point. Days off are spent cooking multiple meals in the kitchen (which i don't mind cause i love to cook) for the coming work days, doing laundry and cleaning the house (my kids are super helpful and clean on my work days, but don't clean as well as i do). So I've switched to home body workouts and it's been great mostly. But, at 49 my sleep needs have increased unfortunately LOL, so i gotta get my workouts done early or I'll come up with an excuse to "do it later", aka not at all. getting in short but effective workouts will work definitely help in the long run. Doing something rather than nothing is always best in my opinion.