Would you eat this? (Infected deer due to old injury)

Finch

WKR
I killed a doe this morning which was gonna be for a buddy since my freezer is full. I knew something was off with her when she let me get about 10 feet away. Turns out she had a broken front right leg. I shot her and she died fairly quickly. I felt pretty good about it since she likely would have died from infection or coyotes.

I could tell right away that she had some infection in the wounded area of the front legs. Got her home into my garage to skin her out and the smell was pretty unpleasant. I'd already decided I'd just keep the tenderloins, hind quarters, and backstraps. Actually, only kept half of one of the backstraps as the yellowish infection had moved up to it as well.

My dad and another old timer both told me they'd throw the whole thing away. Reason being is the infection is in her blood and no reason to chance eating bad meat. I already felt bad throwing half of her away. The meat I kept looks and smells like any other good deer meat.

Thoughts?

20211119_120014.jpg
20211119_120004.jpg

2muchhp

WKR
I have harvest a few deer with old arrow and gun wounds. Kept away from the wound area of course but packaged up everything else though.
Its hard to get out of your head...the what if though .

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn’t eat it, but I would trim the “good” parts and feed it to my dogs. If it’s legal where you hunt I’d use the rest of the carcass for bear bait.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
I think I'll heed everyone's advice on this one. Forgot to mention one thing. She had this weird mushroom shaped growth coming out her rear. Very hard to the touch. Poor thing had been pissing and pooping on herself while bedded down. Still feel good about shooting her... just hate she's going to waste. The local scavengers will have a feast I guess.
VideoCapture_20211119-172448.jpgVideoCapture_20211119-172417.jpg

FLATHEAD

WKR
I'm generally not real squeamish about eating stuff but that one would get
a pass from me. Dont think I'd have one bite.

I don't even eat anything questionable from the refrigerator. LOL I don't eat anything that's outdated even by a day. Guess what I'd do with that deer ---------

True story - I shot a deer that was loaded with tumors. When the deer was checked in with the biologists I asked about the safety of consuming the deer. The biologist said "just don't eat the tumors". YUCK Tossed that deer.!!!!

Wrench

WKR
Your nose will know when to say when.

My pard killed a bull that had a puncture wound clear through the tenderloin. He never acted off. When we got to work on it, the loin was swollen and off color. When we cut into the t loin....the smell cleared the area INSTANTLY.

I fancy myself to be pretty tough gutted, but I'm here to say that I had NO problem running.

My pard cut everything nasty out and the 40oz of puss stayed clear of the meat.

No foul flavor and nobody died.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
Thanks guys for the reassurance of trashing the meat. Why risk it seems to be the general consensus. The kids and I are going to throw a camera over it in our woods today. At least they'll see what critters come to get a free meal.

On to the next one...

If you knew a package of beef (in the store) came from an infected animal which was put down, would you purchase it and feed it to your family?

With the deer in question, I wouldn't have even skinned it. That's partly because a diseased deer once made me sick for over 2 months and I was on medication most of that time.