Would you stay in an air bnb with a non-vented propane heater?

gearguywb

WKR
It's not weird at all. I am in the industry and have sold or installed.....I can't even think about how many, non-vented gas logs, heaters, etc. They work very well and are extremely safe.

My home (when I lived in the GA mountains) was heated upstairs by a set of non-vented logs, and downstairs by a 20K non-vented heater.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I would not run a non vented heat source, especially in small quarters, overnight without a fresh air source nearby.

Years ago when kerosene was cheaper I would use a kerosene heater inside when it got real cold. I’d crack a window nearby.

I’ve used propane heaters in tents but not overnight. Just as supplemental in the morning or evening.

My grandparents had a gas heater in the wall in the attic where we’d all used to sleep. On cold night grandpa would run it for us. I’m guessing there was enough of a draft in there.

I think you are missing the point in the response you made to @Archer86. The way ventless that I know of is safety controlled is in an O2 sensor, it is designed to shut the unit down if the amount of O2 gets low enough to transition from producing CO2 to start producing CO. Your biology/chemistry was all correct, CO2 is the product of combustion unless O2 gets low than CO is produced. The unit shuts off before that transition occurs, that is what the O2 sensor is doing.

There are a million of these units, they are a standard design. I wouldn't even consider not using one. A CO detector would be an addition, but I wouldn't worry about it.

I think his point was that it's not CO displacing O2 that causes the alarm/shut down. It's literally low O2, which causes the flame to burn lower and not contact the thermocouple that keeps the gas valve open. While that low flame might produce CO due to poor burn quality, CO had no role in shutting off the burner.

Last edited:

Archer86

WKR
Likely some confusion on my part I have been going between nights and days at work and get alittle tired. Didn't mean to say co was the cause of of the ods switch to shut off. More the o2 switch is there to protect from the equipment outputting co if the oxygen is to low which will absolutely cause more co output if there isn't enough oxygen.

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
I grew up in a house with unvented propane heaters! Actually, several different houses. NONE of them were airtight!
If it worries you that badly, crack a couple of windows for some fresh air. No biggie!

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I think you are missing the point in the response you made to @Archer86. The way ventless that I know of is safety controlled is in an O2 sensor, it is designed to shut the unit down if the amount of O2 gets low enough to transition from producing CO2 to start producing CO. Your biology/chemistry was all correct, CO2 is the product of combustion unless O2 gets low than CO is produced. The unit shuts off before that transition occurs, that is what the O2 sensor is doing.

There are a million of these units, they are a standard design. I wouldn't even consider not using one. A CO detector would be an addition, but I wouldn't worry about it.
An oxygen depletion sensor shuts off at about 18.5% O2, below the safe concentration of 19.5%, but probably well tolerated by healthy individuals, particularly if at rest. It is their to prevent the heater from consuming all the O2. It does not tell you if the heater is burning dirty, which can happen for a lot of reasons other than oxygen depletion.

The point is, that it is dangerous to think an oxygen depletion sensor replaces a CO detector.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
That was never mentioned
It was directly implied, by you no less.
Oxygen depletion Switch are used on ventfree fireplace. co displaces oxygen in the room and the oxygen gets below a certian oxygen level the flame on the pilot will go out and so will the main burner. no more co producedif the main burner is off. You would likely smell the aldehydes that are typical produced along with co before that happens
Let's see, you said CO displaces oxygen, causing the sensor to trip off. You then say the ODS tripping stops the production of more CO, adding to the impression that you believe the ODS protects from CO. The exceptionally caviler wording implies that an environment with well over 20,000 PPM CO is somehow safe.

The percentages are very simple, everyone in the room will be dead, beyond any help, before CO displaces enough oxygen to trip the ODS.

Of course, you corrected, which is why I only replied to Tod.
Likely some confusion on my part I have been going between nights and days at work and get alittle tired. Didn't mean to say co was the cause of of the ods switch to shut off. More the o2 switch is there to protect from the equipment outputting co if the oxygen is to low which will absolutely cause more co output if there isn't enough oxygen.

Tod apparently took what I said as implying that ventless units should not be used (not what I said at all), as he replied this to me.

So, I clarified my point. Tod's wording also strongly implies that he thinks the ODS is enough with the addition of "but I wouldn't worry about it" regarding a CO detector. He apparently is not aware the many things other than O2 depletion can cause a heater (vented or ventless) to produce CO and leak it into the living space.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Do tell please, but it just seems like you are looking to argue. I'm happy to accommodate your need to type a bunch of stuff.
So, you agree that you do not think CO detectors are needed and confirm that I correctly interpreted what you wrote.

🤷‍♂️ Your health, your families life. Not my concern. However, it is a disservice to others to let ignorant statements go unchallenged.

Archer86

WKR
It was directly implied, by you no less.
That's your opinion if I applied it i would have directly stated i never said a co detector is not needed. I don't beat around the bush. There are a few posters in here that mentioned the needed for a co detector if I didn't think it was needed I would have said that. I figure its commonly known that if you have gas appliances in your home you need to have a co detector

Your make alot of ASSumptions seams you just want to argue to argue enjoy arguing with your self from here on out

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
That's your opinion if I applied it i would have directly stated i never said a co detector is not needed. I don't beat around the bush. There are a few posters in here that mentioned the needed for a co detector if I didn't think it was needed I would have said that. I figure its commonly known that if you have gas appliances in your home you need to have a co detector

Your make alot of ASSumptions seams you just want to argue to argue enjoy arguing with your self from here on out
But, what you wrote initially is still patently wrong. Assuming I, or anyone else can read your mind and interpret something as ignorant as saying CO displaces O2 is beyond arrogant. Continuing to defend that statement and attack someone who pointed out the ignorance says a lot about who you are. The context of your initial post, replying to
Oxygen depletion switches and CO are two different things.
says it all.

You are free to be ignorant on any topic you want, you are not free to have ignorance, or horrible wording, go unchallenged.

Tod osier

WKR
So, you agree that you do not think CO detectors are needed and confirm that I correctly interpreted what you wrote.

🤷‍♂️ Your health, your families life. Not my concern. However, it is a disservice to others to let ignorant statements go unchallenged.

I absolutely appreciate the utility of a CO detector and never said otherwise. They are important safety devices, I never downplayed their utility.

I would, however, not "worry" about it. I have stayed a lot of places outside my primary residences and not once considered if there was one there. If they get there and there is not one, one could be purchased.

rayporter

WKR
besides myself a couple neighbors have wall heaters. i bet in this small town there are hundreds of them used.

Attachments

• 1707139812354.png
    1707139812354.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 4