Wounded animal help.

TheGDog

WKR
Farvecknugen man... you ain't kiddin' with that foolishness. I couldn't believe it man... among all the various trainings we gotta do every year for my more corporate gig I got goin' on... since I'm in Cali, and we gotta a total Douche for a Gov, which passed some legislation which looks science and logic in the face and spits on it... they make you take one re: participating in the delusional persons fairytale of going against the evidence of their very own DNA and being forced to disregard my 1st Amendment right to call it like I see and make me HAVE TO call a She-him a freakin' SHE... or risk losing my job!!!

Taking away my rights... makes Mr. Bigglesworth very unhappy. And when Mr. Bigglesworth is unhappy.. people DIE!!! (Austin Powers Dr Evil movie reference)

TheGDog

WKR
nobody in my family tree i know of hunted, i'm the first (but have sucked others in) i will say, the lessons i have learned ... ... were from doing dumb stuff and making mistakes, and i'm certainly not immune today... i still make my share of mistakes, and that's how we learn.... nobody learns anything from the guy on the forums on his fake high horse.... i too appreciate honest stories, it really is something someone can take something away from....

Oddly enough. My Dad had hunted a lil bit after he and my Mom split. Also I didn't know it but my older brother hunted a lot when he moved out of state to both UT, then WY.

So when I got the bug.. the thought coming around again of trying it out in 2014... then finding out all this other stuff after the fact about the two of them having their own adventures of their own free will.

And me feeling the calling too? That's when I knew... that never give up attitude in terms of taking on, and solving, those seemingly insurmountable tasks.... was part of my DNA.

In my research, most new hunters in SoCal go between 3-5 yrs before they make their first kill. Due to my relentlessness... scouting minimum 2 weekends each month, usually 4 during that year. I made it happen in 1yr and 13days. Then I went back and made it happen again the next year. Then I went back and made it happen again the year after that with a bow, from the ground. 2018 only gave me one bow opportunity where the arrow went just over his back as it ducked the string. 2019 sent a Bobcat my way as a consolation prize last day of the season. Just before the ban went into affect. My intent was this was the year I'd make it right.

But then... these wicked men... these lazy wicked evil men... go and exercise their will upon us... due to the power all these 'tarded voters bestowed upon them for the last 5 decades. And closed off bunch public land.

Last edited:
Since everyone else has said it, I'll say it too....if I was designing a broadhead that would fail to penetrate and get hung up on everything as it went it, it would look like those things. Not trying to give you a hard time but its worth pointing out some flaws in the design there. I don't think you were intentionally trying to do anthing poorly either. Good job getting after it out there.

Reactions: Zac
OP
Z

Zac

WKR
Since everyone else has said it, I'll say it too....if I was designing a broadhead that would fail to penetrate and get hung up on everything as it went it, it would look like those things. Not trying to give you a hard time but its worth pointing out some flaws in the design there. I don't think you were intentionally trying to do anthing poorly either. Good job getting after it out there.
You know I found that arrow a while ago and the broadhead looked just fine. So definitely not a broadhead failure. After watching some of Ranch Fairy's quartering to videos I think the lope was probably quartering harder than I may have thought. Gonna have to chalk that one up to user error.

Attachments

• 20210213_134501.jpg
    20210213_134501.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 28
You know I found that arrow a while ago and the broadhead looked just fine. So definitely not a broadhead failure. After watching some of Ranch Fairy's quartering to videos I think the lope was probably quartering harder than I may have thought. Gonna have to chalk that one up to user error.

You said you were shooting 272fps? I feel like you would want to be 15-20fps faster to even think about using those. Like someone else mentioned, the tips are just like small game blunts. Every single person I've known to use and have good luck with them are shooting like 300fps+. I know Gillingham pushes them, but he has a 33'' draw. I personally don't think anyone shooting under like 275fps will have good penetration with mechanicals.

Dennis

WKR
Zac, I have had some issues with arrow penetration using mechanicals and fixed blades that I now believe were caused by deflections caused by decreasing total arrow weight and decreased FOC. Sometimes I'll get total pass throughs, but more often than not I see a deflection upon impact. I think some shots miss ribs but most hit a rib at some sort of angle. Over the past few years I noted my penetration and deflections have increased resulting in poorer results. After fifty years of bow hunting I now realize my success was higher with my older arrow builds than it is now. My old arrows weighted about 590 grains on average and after watching the Ranch Fairy I realize his experiences are similar to mine. I have reviewed Dr. Ed Ashby's research and am now working to build a better arrow for me after the hit. A plan B arrow if you will.
Good luck and all the best,

OP
Z

Zac

WKR
You said you were shooting 272fps? I feel like you would want to be 15-20fps faster to even think about using those. Like someone else mentioned, the tips are just like small game blunts. Every single person I've known to use and have good luck with them are shooting like 300fps+. I know Gillingham pushes them, but he has a 33'' draw. I personally don't think anyone shooting under like 275fps will have good penetration with mechanicals.
I don't think velocity has anything to do with penetration with a compound bow. I would argue that arrow weight is a much larger factor. That setup was with a 492 grain arrow. The same setup went through a rib and two scapula's on a broadside mule deer at 27 yards.

I don't think velocity has anything to do with penetration with a compound bow. I would argue that arrow weight is a much larger factor. That setup was with a 492 grain arrow. The same setup went through a rib and two scapula's on a broadside mule deer at 27 yards.
I'm less concerned with velocity and more concerned with momentum, which agreed, has more to do with arrow weight.