WSA 22-02 affects Sheep hunters in GMU 24A and 26B (Dalton Hwy Corridor)

jhm2023

WKR
Maybe I'm looking at it wrong and misremembering, but isn't most of the land west of the Sag within the corridor?

Last edited:
Maybe I'm looking at it wrong and misremembering, but isn't most of the land west of the Sag within the corridor?

Yeah, you're not reading a land status map correctly, or not reading the regulation in full. The language says, in part; "..... all federal public lands in GMU 24A and GMU 26B west of the Sagavanirktok River ....."

jhm2023

WKR
Yeah, you're not reading a land status map correctly, or not reading the regulation in full. The language says, in part; "..... all federal public lands in GMU 24A and GMU 26B west of the Sagavanirktok River ....."
I understand that part, I'm only looking to clarify that it seems there is more federal land to the east of the Sag in 26B versus west of it. My go to spot in 24A is a no go now due to this ridiculous decision. This, just like the other b.s. closures made by the feds, seems to do nothing more than eliminate the competition for the locals and has little to nothing to do with sound resource management. For a guy that enjoys walking into the Brooks for sheep, this is a giant kick in the nuts from the government that sure takes a lot of money out of my paychecks.

This, just like the other b.s. closures made by the feds, seems to do nothing more than eliminate the competition for the locals ......

Yes, that's the way the law is written and that's how it's supposed to be enforced. There's really nothing any of us can do about it. Congress isn't going to change the existing law. And it's only going to get worse from here.

akbrett

FNG
that’s how it’s supposed to be enforced?

one guy driving the dalton highway and doesn’t see a few sheep that should be in a certain spot?

shut it down

YellCoAR

Lil-Rokslider
All these closures has to playing havoc on guides and hunters. Deposit are nonrefundable and sheep hunts are expensive. Most hunters need time to plan and fund a hunt like this. I don't think I would book a hunt in any of these areas.

All these closures has to playing havoc on guides and hunters. Deposit are nonrefundable and sheep hunts are expensive. Most hunters need time to plan and fund a hunt like this. I don't think I would book a hunt in any of these areas.

Yep, nonresidents definitely won't be hunting caribou in the West Brooks Range or sheep in the Central Brooks Range Mountains for a long time, if ever again.

JBrown1

Lil-Rokslider
I am bothered by the amount of misinformation in this thread.

First, this closes sheep hunting to ALL users. That includes subsistence hunters. The aim is to give the sheep a breather after the rough winters of 13-14 and 18-19 took out most of the lambs during those years.

This is not designed to eliminate non locals from hunting the sheep. It closes hunting in this area to all users including locals.

Second, the sheep population in that area is way down. Neither side refutes this. I talked with the guys at the Fairbanks F&G two weeks ago. They had just finished the count and confirmed that the population is way down. They disagree with the closure, but they don’t disagree that the population is far below recent and historic levels.

I met with Jack Reakoff in Wiseman and to my mind his heart is in the right place. I have mixed feelings about the closure(mostly due to the precedence it sets), but it is clear that he wants to see the sheep in the area rebound and he believes that this will help.

I hiked the area around Antigun Pass and I saw very little sign of sheep. What I saw is supported by what both Jack and F&G are saying regarding the sheep in the area.

I don’t mean to disrespect anyone here, I just don’t like that this usually knowledgeable group is getting some basic facts wrong.

First, this closes sheep hunting to ALL users. That includes subsistence hunters. The aim is to give the sheep a breather after the rough winters of 13-14 and 18-19 took out most of the lambs during those years.

This is not designed to eliminate non locals from hunting the sheep. It closes hunting in this area to all users including locals.

Second, the sheep population in that area is way down. Neither side refutes this. I talked with the guys at the Fairbanks F&G two weeks ago. They had just finished the count and confirmed that the population is way down. They disagree with the closure, but they don’t disagree that the population is far below recent and historic levels.

I met with Jack Reakoff in Wiseman and to my mind his heart is in the right place. I have mixed feelings about the closure(mostly due to the precedence it sets), but it is clear that he wants to see the sheep in the area rebound and he believes that this will help.

I hiked the area around Antigun Pass and I saw very little sign of sheep. What I saw is supported by what both Jack and F&G are saying regarding the sheep in the area.

I don’t mean to disrespect anyone here, I just don’t like that this usually knowledgeable group is getting some basic facts wrong.

Jack is a good guy. During the past 30 years, I've had long conversations with him as well, mostly about Dall Sheep.

Management of a herd should not be dictated by how much money a guide (who probably doesn't even live in the state full time) is going to make or not make.

Great info, thank you for sharing this. Some hard decisions will need to be made, hopefully they severaly limit or close down more areas in a responsible way

KBaird

FNG
Seems like it’s flying under the radar, but the subsistence board has a proposal to extend the closure by two years. Public comments are due by June 30.

This below went out to all RHAK members, more than just extending the sheep closure:
The Federal Subsistence Board (FSB) will consider several Wildlife Proposals for the 2024-2026 cycle that will restrict or close hunting to non-federally qualified users (NFQU) on fed lands.
These include proposals to:
  • Make permanent the Western Arctic Caribou Herd hunting closure to NFQU on fed lands in Unit 23 (WP 24-30, WP 24-31)
  • Extend the sheep hunting closure on fed lands for all users another 2 years in Unit 24B & 26B west of Sag River (WP 24-26)
  • Close all deer hunting to NFQU on fed lands on the ABC islands in SE Alaska during peak of season (WP 24-04, WP 24-05, WP 24-06)
RHAK opposes all of the above proposals and will be sending in our comments. If you'd like to send in individual comments on these proposals, those are due by June 30th.
The links to the Wildlife Proposal books and info on how to comment are on this page: https://www.doi.gov/subsistence/proposal/current
Comments must reference the proposal number and should be sent to Theo Matuskowitz by email at [email protected].
The FSB will hold a public meeting in January 2024 to consider these proposals.

The RHAK Team