WTB Garmin inreach Explorer +

kingfisher

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not trying to kill your thread, but have you thought about the Delorme Inreach. I was in a similar situation last season. I already had a Garmin 64, but wanted the ability to reach out and communicate. The 64 has birds-eye(satellite) imagery, which I find very helpful. The new Garmin Inreach does not last time I checked. The Delorme Inreach is cheaper than the Garmin Inreach. If I am not mistaken, I believe that you can not use the gps capabilities on the Garmin Inreach without having the subscription at the time, but I could be wrong on this. With the Delorme, I believe you can still use the gps and have the subscription on hold. Again, not trying to peel you astray, but I find the Garmin 64 paired with the Delorme a good fit. I would also imagine at some point garmin will have to make an inreach with Satellite imagery as an option. You may have already researched this a bit, if not, it may be worth some investigation.

OP
K

KSP277

WKR
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not trying to kill your thread, but have you thought about the Delorme Inreach. I was in a similar situation last season. I already had a Garmin 64, but wanted the ability to reach out and communicate. The 64 has birds-eye(satellite) imagery, which I find very helpful. The new Garmin Inreach does not last time I checked. The Delorme Inreach is cheaper than the Garmin Inreach. If I am not mistaken, I believe that you can not use the gps capabilities on the Garmin Inreach without having the subscription at the time, but I could be wrong on this. With the Delorme, I believe you can still use the gps and have the subscription on hold. Again, not trying to peel you astray, but I find the Garmin 64 paired with the Delorme a good fit. I would also imagine at some point garmin will have to make an inreach with Satellite imagery as an option. You may have already researched this a bit, if not, it may be worth some investigation.

Thanks if I can’t find a decent deal on a Garmin I may go that route

Rating - 100%
9   0   0

I have a garmin GPSMAP 62s & a Garmin Inreach Explorer +. A few things to know....

1. The explorer+ has the ability to add maps via the online portal. You can add satellite imagery, hunt maps with property boundaries, street navigation, and more. Additionally these can be applied as layers on the gps. The Hunt Maps compare almost directly with Gaia & OnX.

2. With the explorer+ You are able to have a month to month plan, or you can do a 1 year plan and get a discount on the normal monthly rate.

3. You can plan your trip & scout on google earth / maps and then simply import the map to your explorer+ and if you have added the openstreetmap or satellite imagery & hunt maps to the device, you get ALL the functionality you could really want out of a small device. Yes, the screen on the iPhone and the touch options is nice when your reviewing the area, but you can still do this if you load your maps on that as well for offline use.

You are NOT able to upgrade storage on the explorer+ (no sd card spot).
The detail of the standard maps is not very detailed but is pleasant. The added maps add a large amount of functionality and detail, but also take up space. Id suggest you look it to what places you hunt and what layers you want, then compare that to the storage specs on either device.

When I purchased both units, not much was out there comparing them for the type of hunting I do (western public land backpacking). Any questions I can answer, feel free to ask.

Units Ive been testing
explorer+
Gaia GPS PRO & Hunt Maps
ON X Chip
ON X Subscription and APP
Iphone 7 GPS
Garmin GPSMap 64, 62s, 60st
Garmin Oregon
Garmin Rhino (Crap)

gumbl3

WKR
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Order from academy

Use code CC201820PCT for 20% off and free shipping. I just did this exact thing, had to pay sales tax though, not sure if that'll be applicable in another state

mvmnts

WKR
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just keep in mind, the old inReach units (Explorer and SE) potentially have an issue where the SOS lock switch can fail causing an SOS request to go out without your express intent.

Garmin responds: S.O.S. lock switch failure on inReach SE & Explorer

Garmin has refused to acknowledge this issue. There are no reports of the Explorer+ having this issue. That being said, I have one of the old InReach Explorers and I like it very, very much. You are not meant to use either device as a navigational tool and I only bought the Explorer with the maps as a "life and limb" backup in case my phone, watch and paper maps somehow fail me. Otherwise it just stays in my pack and I interface with it exclusively through my phone for messaging purposes. You can do some limited GPS work via the phone interface as well and that works good. I've used it on ocassion when I've forgotten to cache a set of maps to my phone, but that's about it.

FWIW, I've also used the SPOT and there really is no comparison. The SPOT has no two way messaging capability, no way to confirm your messages were sent, and unsurprisingly failed to send messages on a regular basis.

AKMATT83

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Order from academy

Use code CC201820PCT for 20% off and free shipping. I just did this exact thing, had to pay sales tax though, not sure if that'll be applicable in another state
Where and when do you enter the discount code?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

shooter77

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The code does work, I have used it. Once you input your card info you have a chance to review your order and there is a tab that says something like “Have a discount code?”. It’s not easy to find but it is there!!

gumbl3

WKR
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
On the shopping cart page, look under the 'enter zip code to calculate shipping' or something like that, on the right side

OP
K

KSP277

WKR
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The 3 other guys I hunt with already have the inreach Explorer+, pretty sure they have them linked to a phone in airplane mode and never actually use the unit itself. They Bluetooth everything over the phone I’m pretty sure.

Bbell12

WKR
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Not to derail the thread but I currently use a Garmin Oregon 650 with an OnX chip and have also wanted to buy an inreach so that I could be able to communicate with family back home while I'm in the backcountry for a week at a time. But my question is, if I buy an inreach is there any use in having the Oregon 650? I've also contemplated ditching the GPS unit and going with a phone and just an OnX subscription but have wondered how that would work with an inreach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
K

KSP277

WKR
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not to derail the thread but I currently use a Garmin Oregon 650 with an OnX chip and have also wanted to buy an inreach so that I could be able to communicate with family back home while I'm in the backcountry for a week at a time. But my question is, if I buy an inreach is there any use in having the Oregon 650? I've also contemplated ditching the GPS unit and going with a phone and just an OnX subscription but have wondered how that would work with an inreach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m far from having that theory battle tested but that’s exactly what we are doing