Wy eighty

Oregon

WKR
I know getting info is tough, but I gots to try.
Have had phone calls into district Bio for over a month, with no calls back.

I will be chasing deer this year there.
My 2 questions are:
1. In the lower sections(BLM) are those roads typical Great Basin type roads once wet? (Gumbo)
2. Are deer spread out down through BLM or is the NF land the best thing going.

PMs or replies would be truly appreciated.

mcseal2

WKR
I was there in 2017 and it was a tough hunt. We got 15" of snow the first night and then it got warm and it crusted. It made hunting the cover very loud and tough. There isn't a ton of open country to glass except the BLM and a few pockets. We saw lots of does on the BLM but very few bucks and no bigger ones. We had a UTV and had to winch it out once from a snowdrift but didn't deal with to bad of mud. We saw more deer in the forest but still not a ton of deer. I recommend carrying a chainsaw in the forest, we had to cut our way out a couple times when the snow load and wind dropped trees across trails we had been down earlier in the hunt. The beetle killed trees fall pretty regular up there. My buddy ended up taking a small buck for the freezer. I missed a big one and didn't end up tagging out. I kept hoping the big one would show back up but he was to smart for that. We scouted for 3 days while they were in velvet during the summer and even then I only saw a couple good bucks. There are big deer in the unit I think but there is also a reason it's easy to draw.

OP
Oregon

Oregon

WKR
I appreciate the heck out of that. Still hoping to talk to the Bio soon, need to ask her a few questions I won’t ask on here.
Taking a good friend with me who just started with points last year. Between the 2 of us averaged we need a 3 point or so draw to hunt together, and I’ve come to the conclusion I’m not getting any younger and so tired of building points for a perfect hunt.
Just hunting in limited draw areas(fewer folks) is truly all I need to consider a hunt a success

mcseal2

WKR
One thing I might add is that I'd either be out of the forest a day before the end of rifle season or have the vehicle out of it if there is any weather. Lots of elk hunters with giant trailers were coming in as we were trying to leave and spinning out on the hills, blocking the main road. Had some good visits with other hunters while waiting, we were never first on the scene to pull anyone out ourselves. If I was to go back I'd have my truck and trailer out of the forest before and take the UTV back in to hunt on the last day. I'd try to spend the last day somewhere all the activity might send deer past me. Shoot me a PM if you have more specific questions, I'm asking people about CO on other threads now myself. I got a ton of help here from people before my AK moose hunt and other hunts and try to return the favors when I can.