WY elk report

jmez

WKR
Was in the Bighorn's the last 8 days. Tough hunting, it was HOT, several days in the 90's and only getting down into the 60's at night.

Some bugling but not a lot. All the talking was after sundown and before sun up. Elk aren't coming out until right at dark and are going back into the timber about 20 mins after legal shooting light.

Only saw a couple of smaller bunches and they were all cows, no bulls even with them. Saw three different bunches with over 150 elk grouped, everything from calves to big mature bulls. The mature bulls were all hanging out together toward the back of the herds.

I left early, going back in a couple of weeks.

Go Pokes

Lil-Rokslider
Temps have been pretty hot here lately. Starting to drop off a little this week, 50's in the morning with night lows in the upper 40's. Should be a little cooler at elevation which should get things kicked off.

I got into a few bulls in 37, missed one, called in and played with a few more, ended up mixing it up with 3 bulls then it got down to 2 bulls and I harvested this one.

They all bugled when I did and I started my afternoon hunts waiting/listening for bulls to bugle and it worked.
41b71a8c714faaab41aca9c74ac29129.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

nrhardin

FNG
Hunted south central last week and had similar experience. Pockets of elk starting to rut and push cows but typically bugling from dark until 8am. Tough hunting when they’re quiet all day. Best of luck to all. Headed back up 20-25.

slick

WKR
I’m a day behind Clark, but am meeting him Thursday morning. Hopefully I hike in to help him pack out

netman

WKR
Same thing in SW Montana. I’ve been here since last Tuesday. Heard zero elk last week. Elk started talking a little on Sunday. I battled one on Monday and got within 40 yds but a big blown down tree screened the shot.
Zero bugles today.
I came to town tonight for a shower and phone calls.
Back on the mountain in the morning.
Good luck to those out getting it!

OP
jmez

jmez

WKR
Talked to a friend in Sheridan today. Things have began picking up last 2 days. Weather has cooled off and elk were more active.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

wysongdog

WKR
Starting to cool down and elk are talking early mornings in area 7. Evenings are pretty quiet it seems. Son killed a solid bull Sunday.