WY goat units and wilderness areas

jm1607

WKR
Getting my next years app ready.. I know it's a ways away, not to mention a long shot, but I like to be prepared!

It looks like Unit 1 is about 20% wilderness, Unit 2 is about 50% wilderness, and Unit 3 is about 80% wilderness.. So it looks like 1 & 2 are probably the only viable options for a DIY hunt..

On the surface Unit 1 looks like the best choice for not wanting to hire a guide.. I haven't done enough research yet to know what parts of which units have decent goat populations.. It seems like the closer to Yellowstone the better, but those are also the wilderness areas..

I guess my main questions are:

1) Does Unit 1 have plenty of good quality goats in the non-wilderness area? Basically, will I be missing out on quality/quantity of goats if I don't hire a guide and only hunt the non-wilderness area?

2) Same question but for Unit 2?

Not looking for any secret spots or anything, just general info.. I just don't want to screw myself into hiring/paying an outfitter if I don't have to if I actually get a tag! I'd much rather DIY

Last edited:

1hoda

Banned
Sorry wish I could help. Maybe call the WGFD biologist in each area?

HvyBeams

Lil-Rokslider
I harvested a billy last year that grossed over all time B&C in area 1. I haven't had it officially measured yet, so I'm not sure of the final score. It was a fun hunt and self guided. I saw plenty of good billies during the hunt. The only thing you really need is a 4 wheeler.

• Banned
OP
jm1607

jm1607

WKR
Awesome.. so it sounds like 1 and 2 are pretty decent units to go self-guided then

Last edited:

vinmcq

FNG
Getting my next years app ready.. I know it's a ways away, not to mention a long shot, but I like to be prepared!

It looks like Unit 1 is about 20% wilderness, Unit 2 is about 50% wilderness, and Unit 3 is about 80% wilderness.. So it looks like 1 & 2 are probably the only viable options for a DIY hunt..

On the surface Unit 1 looks like the best choice for not wanting to hire a guide.. I haven't done enough research yet to know what parts of which units have decent goat populations.. It seems like the closer to Yellowstone the better, but those are also the wilderness areas..

I guess my main questions are:

1) Does Unit 1 have plenty of good quality goats in the non-wilderness area? Basically, will I be missing out on quality/quantity of goats if I don't hire a guide and only hunt the non-wilderness area?

2) Same question but for Unit 2?

Not looking for any secret spots or anything, just general info.. I just don't want to screw myself into hiring/paying an outfitter if I don't have to if I actually get a tag! I'd much rather DIY

I have been doing some research on unit 3 but I'm a resident. I did see a very detailed post on a goat hunt in Unit 1 by a nonresident (2014). It was DYI. You will find it very informative.
http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=260812

Nitro8

FNG
I harvested a billy last year that grossed over all time B&C in area 1. I haven't had it officially measured yet, so I'm not sure of the final score. It was a fun hunt and self guided. I saw plenty of good billies during the hunt. The only thing you really need is a 4 wheeler.
HvyBeams, congrats on your goat! I pulled this tag for 2020 and was thinking about self guided (NR). Just joined the site so I can't message you, but if you'd drop me a note I'd really be interested in hearing about your hunt. Thanks