WY unit 62 grizzly bear questions....

I was lucky enough to draw a unit 62 elk tag this year and can't wait to get there. My questions are about the bears......there will be three of us with tags. Should I carry my 10 mm or bear spray? Should I except to have a few sighting in a two week hunt? How bad are they after the harvest? This will be a DIY hunt and my first with the griz around. Just trying to get a feel for things. Thanks for any and all advice! Anyone have any unit 62 pics to share as well? Counting the days like you all are I'm sure!!

JT

unchained

Lil-Rokslider
Make sure your faster than your friends. I think the general consensus from what I've read is that a 10mm is not enough to stop a charging bear. You'll probably be better off with spray if the situation arises.

WKR
I would carry the 10 mm and spray. Given time to think, deploy spray first. Shoot from the hip. Practice removing safety and spraying while it's still attached to your hipbelt. The gun is a back up plan IMO. On a carcass, move the meat away, pee around the meat, hang sweaty clothes over the meat. If you're moving fast into wind, make some noise, if you're hunting, your awareness should already be high enough to keep you safe-ish. Good luck.

OP
D
Thanks guys, thank goodness for me I'm fast than my buddies......lol! I was thinking about packing both but at some point there gets to just be too much "stuff" and weight. Still not sure. Thanks again for your input and points of view!

JT

HOT ROD

WKR
Unchained that is funny. Make sure Ur faster than Ur friends... There was 4 of Us that went to bear country. Bears came up in conversation. I looked at all three of them. And said I am not worried. I can out run all 3 of U. I just want to no who is the slowest...Lol

LaGriz

WKR
Ducks Layer,
Congratulations on your Wy tag! I hope you do better than I did in 2008. I had hunt planned with 2 friends. Long story....I hunted mostly alone and was surprised at how much of a weenie I was on this hunt. I was into Grizzly sign every day. My Non-Res tag was good for the NF but only outside the Wilderness boundary. I saw plenty elk inside the Park, but little action in the Nat. Forest. Regularly, I had griz tracks in my tracks when I returned to the truck after an all-day hunt. I packed Bear Spray and a M700 in .280 Rem. My rifle seemed like a pellet gun in my hand at times. I usually take a hidden stand during a lunch break, with a view of an up-wind game trail. On this hunt I often parked in a gravel bed with a 360 degree view. This is when I came up with my handle "LaGriz". I have hiked and hunted alone many times before and since. Never have I reacted to predator (sign and the sounds of wolves) like I did on this trip. I did not get a shot because I did not earn one. Stay strong, hunt hard, and have a plan with your partners. If you get one down, follow the advice of "307". With a radio, and some back up, you should be fine. I have a Judge .45 LC with a titanium 4" bbl. I would have this with me if I had to pack meat.

Enjoy! LaGrizView attachment 27446

Jordan guyer

Lil-Rokslider
I have hunted 61 just across the river. I carried both a side arm and bear spray. I killed a bull in the evening of opening day way above treeline. I quarter the bull and moved the quarters about a 1/4 mile for the carcass. Being above treeline I did not have a place to hang my quarters. When I returned early the next morning a bear had my elk scattered all over the hill I was able to gather it all up and get it back to camp. We had to run the bear off every day he was just sitting under the game pole. Just stay aware you'll be fine. It's awesome country have fun

Bar

Banned
Unchained that is funny. Make sure Ur faster than Ur friends... There was 4 of Us that went to bear country. Bears came up in conversation. I looked at all three of them. And said I am not worried. I can out run all 3 of U. I just want to no who is the slowest...Lol

Keep in mind the bear will go after the one running. All your friends have to do is stand still as the bear goes after you running away. You won't be faster than the bear. :D

LJ Buck

WKR
lots of them Griz in 62. I may of missed it, but are you rifle hunting or archery hunting?

BFreed59

FNG
I realize this is a 6 year old thread, but drew this same tag with 2 buddies this year and figured this would be as good a place as any to ask. Has much changed in the past few years? Is everything mentioned above still pretty much true?

Either way super excited for the tag and can't wait to get boots on the ground out there!