Wyoming Antelope Gun...

Pooner

FNG
seems overwhelmingly in favor of the 7 mag and take the that way.

Probably either the Scrirrocco II's or Partitions in 150 grain. I do have some TTSX laying here too... It'll be one of those 3 in 150 grain bullets

anyone have any pet loads with N160 and the above? I also have some H4350 of H4831SC I could use, but i have a lot of n160 I'd like to start using up.
I have a load built up that shoots good (1/2 MOA) using N165 but that using a accubond. I think find something that shoots decent in your gun and run with in any of those bullets. I personally dont get caught up in calibers and building the perfect load. I would rather be out scouting than reloading and testing loads.

OP
roymunson

roymunson

WKR
I have a load built up that shoots good (1/2 MOA) using N165 but that using a accubond. I think find something that shoots decent in your gun and run with in any of those bullets. I personally dont get caught up in calibers and building the perfect load. I would rather be out scouting than reloading and testing loads.
While that's true, The hunt is about 1900 miles from my home and it's April. I have nothing to occupy myself for this hunt other than getting my gun right... at the moment.

Rich M

WKR
I'm in the same boat pretty much - 2023 hunt, gonna work up a new load cause can't get my fav bullets right now. Grabbed 5# of an okay powder but still looking for my fav.

Helps pass the time and keeps the trigger finger trained.

killed plenty of goats with my 7mm stay away from the shoulder as stated above to save meat and also the cape.... if you're very far into November at all its gonna be really hard to find a buck with any horns at all.... might if you're outfitter hasn't told you that you might look at some new outfitters...

Pooner

FNG
While that's true, The hunt is about 1900 miles from my home and it's April. I have nothing to occupy myself for this hunt other than getting my gun right... at the moment.
Well with those circumstances I say go ahead and get that gun shooting sub MOA then :).

Laramie

WKR
killed plenty of goats with my 7mm stay away from the shoulder as stated above to save meat and also the cape.... if you're very far into November at all its gonna be really hard to find a buck with any horns at all.... might if you're outfitter hasn't told you that you might look at some new outfitters...
Early November most will still be holding their horns. Mid November they do really start dropping though.

OP
roymunson

roymunson

WKR
we're mid november. I asked them and the guide assured us there will be antelope to choose from. I defer to him. He's got a stellar reputation.

Roy,
I think that the 7mm will do great and give you some confidence in yardage and terminal performance over the 243. Although, as others have said, the 243 will work just as well. As you mention, you have the time to work with the rifle. With that in mind, I would look at picking a lighter bullet for antelope. This is especially handy if you reload and have the components on hand. The 7mm gives you a wide range of bullet weights but I have had good luck with the 139 and 140 grain bullets with mild velocities on antelope and deer. Eases the recoil abit but kills just the same. Meat loss is less with these lighter loads.

x2mosg

FNG
It wouldn’t hurt to bring both as they’d both be adequate for mule deer and goats. Then you’d have a backup rifle. But if you don’t want the hassle of hauling two rifles the 7mm would be my choice. I’d go with the Sciroccos or TTSX for the higher b.c.

I’d pick whichever your rifle shoots best and if it’s too close to tell go with whichever has the higher b.c. That may be so close it doesn’t make much difference.

You are right, it’s not often that you’ll bust a good muley right in the same area as antelope. It does happen though.

I don’t know what kind of ranges you have available where you live but I’d make sure you can reliably punch an 8” target at 400+ yards from field positions.
This is great advice. I never leave home without a backup. Even on a dove hunt 10 miles from home. It costs nothing to haul on extra if you're driving, so do it. If you have a failure without a backup, you'll be miserable.

Kurts86

WKR
The one antelope I shot with a 7mm mag was a shoulder shot with 162 gr ELD-X and it ruined more meat than any other game animal/rifle combination I have seen. Hitting the ribs likely would have resulted in less damage. I only used the 7mm mag on antelope because I was on a mule deer hunt combo where I flew in.

I’ve taken 6 antelope with a .243 and 80 gr TTSX bullets and have generally had good luck and less meat damage.

As mentioned before use which ever gun you shoot better because antelope are small targets.

+ 1 for what Kurts86 said above. Whatever caliber you shoot just be comfortable with the rifle. I still am waiting to hear on my antelope draw lol. My 6.5 PRC will be going on that journey.

kpk

WKR
I shot one with my 7mm RM at 436 last year with ELD-M handloads. Heart shot and no ruined meat.

OP
roymunson

roymunson

WKR
The one antelope I shot with a 7mm mag was a shoulder shot with 162 gr ELD-X and it ruined more meat than any other game animal/rifle combination I have seen. Hitting the ribs likely would have resulted in less damage. I only used the 7mm mag on antelope because I was on a mule deer hunt combo where I flew in.

I’ve taken 6 antelope with a .243 and 80 gr TTSX bullets and have generally had good luck and less meat damage.

As mentioned before use which ever gun you shoot better because antelope are small targets.

I'm thinking I'll take the 243 as my backup. Should something dumb happen, that'll suffice for my mule deer gun too. If its not a windy day and I'm feeling froggy maybe we'll go 243 on the antelope, but we can make that call day of.

i shot my first one with a 30-06 and 180 partition. I dont see a problem with it. I think flat shooting is as important for antelope as anything given the open terrain and small body size.

Anyone shooting a 300 win mag use like a ballistic tip bullet instead of an Accubond on antelope or deer?

LarsCL7

FNG
Have a hunt booked near Carlile, WY next fall (november) where i'll be doing a combo of hills/mountain mule deer and antelope. I plan on running my Tikka T3 7 rem mag with 150 grain rounds in it (Partition, TTSX, or Sirrocco II). Should be a good round for deer, but having never chased antelope, should I stick with this gun (which I love to shoot), or take along a 243 for antelope. My understanding is we won't be running into both species at the same time, so swapping guns is probably an option. The guide says he likes his 7 Rem Mag with 168s for everything, but that seems like a lot of gun.

I'm probably overthinking it. I'm inclined to just run with the 7 mag, especially if we get wind in the flat, but wondered what you guys thought of it.
Are you hunting with Ralph up at Trophy Ridge outfitters by chance? When Dad and I hunted up there I took my .240 weatherby for antelope, and my. 257 weatherby for deer. Dad had his 300 weatherby along just because he doesn't go on a hunting trip without it. We ended up using the .240 weatherby for both our antelope and dad's whitetail and my Mule deer. Up in that area you're not looking at terribly long shots so the big magnums aren't a necessity.