Wyoming bear??

dvm_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone hunt black bear in Wyoming? Never hunted bear much and was looking to get a 2nd chance outside of the Colorado season without driving all the way to Idaho or Washington. I've done some browsing, but it doesn't look like people talk about it alot and Wyoming G&F site talks like they're under hunted. I like the idea of being able to come back in the fall if I don't tag out in the spring. Nice excuse to get an antelope tag or elk tag as well.

I've been looking at unit 13 and 19. I haven't found a straight answer on whether non-residents can register bait sites and not quite sure I'll have my llamas by then to get it done. So probably spot and stalk.

wyosteve

WKR
I've taken 2 blacks here in Wyo. Compared to some states, the population is not large, but there are enough to keep it interesting. Generally, the higher populations are in areas that don't have grizzlies.

I plan to hunt Unit 8 for the first time (southeastern WY) this fall. I will be hunting deer so will be double purpose. Good luck with yours. I onlyhave 2 under my belt (both in CA), about 325 and 400lbs. They are no freaking joke to move, skin, process, etc. Some of the hardest work I've done...ever.

WyoRob

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be hunting 7 or 8 this fall and will probably register a bait site in case spot and stalk doesn't produce.

WyoRob, how are the population in 8? I didn't see any last year or this year but I also wasn't looking. I'm guessing more towards the mountainous areas south in the unit is where they'd be?? You ever killed one in 8? thanks

WyoRob

Lil-Rokslider
WyoRob, how are the population in 8? I didn't see any last year or this year but I also wasn't looking. I'm guessing more towards the mountainous areas south in the unit is where they'd be?? You ever killed one in 8? thanks

This will be my first year hunting big game in WY as I didn't meet the residency requirement last year in time to get resident big game tags, but I did spend considerable time in unit 8 last year hunting blue grouse and saw bear sign but no bears.

I'll scout for them while scouting for elk/deer this summer and will see how it goes.

OP
D

dvm_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
It's amazing what people can talk you into doing with a little prodding and pictures from previous hunts. haha I'm actually going to be hunting in Idaho this spring for black bear.

huntnelk

FNG
I live in 9 and play a lot in 8. Both units are tough for spot and stalk, it doable in the spring, if the snow leaves early enough, but fall is tough just due to all the cover. Baiting is the go to in these units and there are a lot of bears killed in both. The most bears I have ever spotted during a fall season was five and that was just a unique fall. Remember Wyo has a female quota and sometimes the season shuts down early.

OP
D

dvm_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I live in 9 and play a lot in 8. Both units are tough for spot and stalk, it doable in the spring, if the snow leaves early enough, but fall is tough just due to all the cover. Baiting is the go to in these units and there are a lot of bears killed in both. The most bears I have ever spotted during a fall season was five and that was just a unique fall. Remember Wyo has a female quota and sometimes the season shuts down early.

I got talked into hunting Idaho this year. I do believe I'm going to try and hunt Wyoming next season though. Idaho is a pretty decent drive for bear hunting. If I wasn't flying in and getting picked up by a buddy I'd have gone Wyoming.