Wyoming Goat hunt backpack MR Metcalf vs Marshall

Fluty

FNG
So I finally drew a Wyoming mountain goat tag and am slowly gearing up. I have done some over night backpacking trips but have been using a older cabela’s pack. I am debating between the MR metcalf or Marshall. I really like the idea of the Marshall having pockets on the outside for a spotting scope but I don’t know if I need that big of a pack. I also have looked at the SG 5900 sky. Any recommendations would be awesome and also any need to have equipment for a goat hunt.

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider
Search the backpack specific page and you’ll find a lot of answers. I had a metcalf that would have been tight for an extended backpack hunt without using the overload shelf. I have a Marshall that will hold more than I could ever carry. I mostly use a Beartooth that is about perfect for me. That SG also looks good, but I picked mine up on sales for way less than I’ve ever seen a SG.

Cdetterer

FNG
I would do the Stone Glacier Sky. I always tell people go with a bigger pack then what you think you will need. You can always cinch it down smaller, but you can never make them
bigger

If you haven't purchased yet, I'd make sure any pack you choose has functional load lifters and a robust lumbar support. Those combined make sure you use your bodies full range of motion instead of being bent over putting all the weight on your knees. The lumbar support should stick out significantly and work like a squat bar for your lower back. Then the load lifters should function by not allowing the backpack straps to push down on your shoulders. Instead they should only touch lightly your collar bone area.

DoubleDropMuley

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on the Tag!!! No experience with those packs but a good pack makes a world of difference. Good luck on the hunt !! Hopefully one day I’ll draw a tag 🤞

Brent

Lil-Rokslider
This is great to see. I'll hopefully be loading a goat into my Beartooth this fall.