Wyoming - My Head Hurts

Bookhead

FNG
Yessir. Cant really put one above another they are all very similar and all have monster goats

pirogue

WKR
I would not call 60 the best antelope area in the state either
For the sake of points needed to draw it, which was the subject of the post, it is the ONLY unit that max NR points doesn’t guarantee you a tag.

At first glance what you say seems right but they always find a way to complicate things. I've not been at this game long, just long enough to know that we need to look under every rock before committing to a unit or general tag.

Right now my group is chasing antelope tags and have 5 yrs to go. It's all about getting as far away from the competition as possible.

If you haven't been before, it isn't like the TV shows. Plenty of other folks pursuing the dream too.
I think you're going to have a hard time "getting away from the competition" on an antelope hunt. Most of that country is pretty accessible and there are generally roads about everywhere. It shouldn't limit your ability to have a good hunt, but it should temper your expectations going in to it.

Rich M

WKR
I think you're going to have a hard time "getting away from the competition" on an antelope hunt. Most of that country is pretty accessible and there are generally roads about everywhere. It shouldn't limit your ability to have a good hunt, but it should temper your expectations going in to it.

You do make a good point - lots of visible hunters when antelope hunting - the wide open spaces might make it seem more crowded than it is at times.

When I hunted, it was a zoo. The primary piece of public with access and goats had 12-15 trucks ringing it waiting for them to come within range. Whooppee! I was on another piece, wedged up against private and had guys within 400 yards the 2 days I hunted. We all got antelope (them and me) but it was like dove hunting in hoping not to get shot and for the other guy not to spook the animals.

For me to go hunt antelope is an adventure, crossing the country. Going for higher point tags and more public access. Not something to do every year, but at least one more time.

WCB

WKR
As far as crowds go...it really depends...had buddies go out to a unit that they drew with 1 pt in the regular draw..."limited" public access. They had no issues with guys....did they see a bunch? yep. Did any of them leave the road to find goats? nope. every decent buck basically within eye shot was killed opening day. my one buddy said he went into the same low spot/drainage looking for a mule deer 2nd and third day of season and say a ton of goats and nobody knew they were there.

I would recommend putting a goat to bed the night before and sit on him in the morning.

I have a few basic questions that google isn't helping much with. Next year a buddy and I will each have 2 PP for both antelope and deer. We simply want a chance at a representative of the species. I'm digging into it more and more.

Seems like the focus would be to pick a general deer tag area and then pick an antelope unit within it that we need the points for?

Also, is a guide required on all national forest land or just wilderness areas?

Sorry for the dumbass questions :LOL:
It’s nice to see someone else from Auburn, Al on here. I’m headed to Wyoming this October on an antelope hunt........I hope. Will be my first time chasing speed goats.