Wyoming Nonresident Proposed Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
What’s everyone’s thoughts on these proposed changes? Getting to be a rich mans sport unfortunately.

Elk (current $690 > new $800)
Deer (current $372 > new $550)
Antelope (current $324 > new $425)
Sheep (current $2,318 > new $3,000)
Goat (current $2,160 > new $2,500)
Moose (current $1,980 > new $2,500)
Bull bison (current $4,400 > new $5,500)

Non-resident Quota Moose (current 20% > new 10%)
Non-resident Quota Sheep, Goat (current 25% > new 10%)
Non-resident Quota Elk (current 16% > new 10%)
Non-resident Quota Deer/Antelope (current ~20% > new 10%)

*30% of all non-resident licenses reserved in a separate quota for those hunting with an outfitter. (aka guide draw)
*Special priced licenses/quota split would be discontinued.
*Hunts with 9 or less licenses would have 0 non-resident licenses.
*Non-resident application fee increased from $15 to $17

cnelk

WKR
Are they proposing to raise the RP licenses also? [Sorry Im not gonna read the entire Bill]

Wapiti1

WKR
Hmmm. I find the amount of financial respect given to the buffalo odd.

The guide draw isn't surprising as a proposal. Not in favor of that one.

Jeremy

Rmauch20

WKR
Just my quick thoughts.
I hate the part about the guide draw.
I like the way Wyoming has it set up now with a special/ regular draw.
Raising tag cost and cutting quotas seems like things to do right now. I wouldn’t mind the increase in the cost if quotas were left the same.
hunting out west is a cool thing to do right now so I guess the states have to capitalize while they can. I do think we will eventually hit a point where it’s just not worth it. It’ll be very unfortunate when that happens. I just don’t want to hear any bitching about Hunter recruitment and retainment.

I just don’t understand the desire to cut tag quotas and take another 30% off the that. I look at it as they are reducing antelope tags 40% elk tags 36%.
I am not going to Worry about the moose, bison, or sheep tags I will never draw those and even if I did I wouldn’t be able to afford them.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on these proposed changes? Getting to be a rich mans sport unfortunately.

Elk (current $690 > new $800)
Deer (current $372 > new $550)
Antelope (current $324 > new $425)
Sheep (current $2,318 > new $3,000)
Goat (current $2,160 > new $2,500)
Moose (current $1,980 > new $2,500)
Bull bison (current $4,400 > new $5,500)

Non-resident Quota Moose (current 20% > new 10%)
Non-resident Quota Sheep, Goat (current 25% > new 10%)
Non-resident Quota Elk (current 16% > new 10%)
Non-resident Quota Deer/Antelope (current ~20% > new 10%)

*30% of all non-resident licenses reserved in a separate quota for those hunting with an outfitter. (aka guide draw)
*Special priced licenses/quota split would be discontinued.
*Hunts with 9 or less licenses would have 0 non-resident licenses.
*Non-resident application fee increased from $15 to $17

$425 for an antelope is pretty steep! Too bad since there are a bazillion of them and it’s a great game animal to get youth involved.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Makes me sad that I moved away..

I wonder if this is their way of trying to slow point creep?? Maybe one that's far down the list. The guide draw doesn't surprise me but it is annoying. And the price increases... they just increased them not long ago. The non resident archery stamp used to be $25 and now it's $70. Like, WTF.

Here are the changes to elk hunters:
NR tags allocation goes from 16% to 7% (plus 3% to outfitters)
Residents are still unlimited for general elk tags
Taking away the Special draw altogether
Raising the NR tag cost from $690 to $800
Residents are still fixed at $57

And the effects:
So effectively the cost went up only marginally
NRs still can't hunt wilderness areas (those are reserved for outfitters)
NR point creep just doubled because the reduced number of tags
The outfitters get on a better welfare program so we can expect more outfitter competition, which won't be good for either NRs or Resident DIY hunters.

Fatcamp

WKR
Makes me sad that I moved away..

I wonder if this is their way of trying to slow point creep?? Maybe one that's far down the list. The guide draw doesn't surprise me but it is annoying. And the price increases... they just increased them not long ago. The non resident archery stamp used to be $25 and now it's $70. Like, WTF.

How does reducing tag numbers slow point creep? It seems to me it would increase it.

Bobbyboe

WKR
Interesting changes proposed for sure. The proposal period seems similar to my home state of WI, people throwing self centered/serving ******* at the wall to see what sticks. These changes are not being proposed to better wildlife in WY, they are being proposed for personal agenda. For example, the outfitter draw and special/regular draws.

I don’t even really understand the 10% proposal either. I guess I just don’t understand the mindset of, other states do it so we’re going to do it too. An interesting concept would be, we’re going to offer NR more tags, therefore, in return residents should be getting compensated for those tags. That stance id be fine with. I’d pay twice the tag cost in WY if statutorily we (NR) were guaranteed x amount of tags, which wouldn’t ever be reduced. I also think NR tag prices should be tied to resident prices with a percentage bump. What I mean is that they should be tied with a multiplier such as 500%. So if a tag increase happens it’s not just NR footing the bill, both would be sharing the burden.

I would also be fine with is a significant price increase for LQ tags and leave the region tags at a lower cost. It would put a premium price on supposed premium hunts.

With another bad winter in the SW side of the state I’m sure non residents will see another cut in deer tags, though residents will still be unlimited. But NR are the problem right...

Yes, residents deserve and should benefit from living within the state. I think there are creative ways to help benefit residents and wildlife, while still providing NR opportunity.

All this is just my opinion, which in all reality doesn’t really matter.

Rich M

WKR
This will change how I look at things - if this is how things will be in the future.

The 10% quota for NR is gonna increase point creep. Supposedly the $$$ increases will offset the lowering of the numbers of NR hunters?

I thought permits were set on the number of game that needed to be "managed"???

I'm in it for another antelope hunt, then checking out.

Macegl

Lil-Rokslider
Ever improving technology = increased harvest efficiency. Increased harvest efficiency = higher harvest percentages. Higher harvest percentages = more animals harvested on fewer tags.

State game agencies in the west where game animals are declining, are left with two options to avoid over harvest of a limited resource:
Option 1) Cut tags, and the easiest option to generate support is to cut non-resident tags so that always happens first.
Option 2) Restrictions on technology, if you lower harvest efficiency, harvest rates will decline and more tags can be given without negatively affecting the resource.

Until some major changes take place in habitat management that help game populations as a whole, and we as a hunting community decide opportunity is more important than being as effective and efficient as possible (see option 2 above), we better get used to declining opportunities in the west.

Wow, this would throw a huge wrench into my 2020 application plan. Anybody wanna guess how likely this is to pass? I was definitely relying on the special draw..

WCB

WKR
Here are the changes to elk hunters:
NR tags allocation goes from 16% to 7% (plus 3% to outfitters)
Residents are still unlimited for general elk tags
Taking away the Special draw altogether
Raising the NR tag cost from $690 to $800
Residents are still fixed at $57

And the effects:
So effectively the cost went up only marginally
NRs still can't hunt wilderness areas (those are reserved for outfitters)
NR point creep just doubled because the reduced number of tags
The outfitters get on a better welfare program so we can expect more outfitter competition, which won't be good for either NRs or Resident DIY hunters.

15% IMO is not marginal...

Unfortunately this has nothing to do with "management" it is all about money plain and simple. As I stated in the Idaho thread...states need to start charging residents more.

Status
Not open for further replies.