Wyoming Passes 90/10: The Worst Article You’ll Read This Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like the Wyoming Game & Fish department is going to have a huge drop in income. All those non-resident dollars will be viewed as a waste of money by non-resident applicants going forward under these new draw odds so why even apply.

tdhanses

WKR
This is what caught my attention.

As if this were not bad enough news, it could potentially get much, much worse for nonresident hunters in Wyoming. The WWTF, the Wyoming Wildlife Task Force set up by the Commission and the Governor, of which I know a few of the members personally, is apparently working out a potential compromise for a 90/10 allocation for deer, elk and antelope as well. This process is in its infancy and has a long, long way to go yet. At this point, from what I am hearing this compromise appears to include, transferable land-owner tags, and an up to 50% outfitter set aside for outfitted nonresident hunters. Needless to say, this change would be horrendous for the DIY nonresident hunter as the nonresident allotment would be cut in half, and then half of that would be set aside for guided hunters, all while further subtracting the nonresident landowner tags from this pool in addition.

The 90/10 law for deer, elk and antelope still has a long way to go with some very large hurdles to be negotiated yet. If nothing, else, the financial repercussions of this change alone would be devastating for the Wyoming Game and Fish Department. Of the total $80 million budget, nonresident hunters and fisherman account for more than 60% of the revenue. This change could cut the department’s revenues by 30-40%. A cut of this magnitude would essentially be unsustainable. The residents will not bear this financial burden, we are confident in that, possibly leaving, yet again, the nonresident hunters to pick up the financial tab. We will keep you posted on the progress of this legislation as it progresses.

HoytHntr4

WKR
I’m assuming this takes effect for this season quotas? It’s definitely a bummer but I can’t blame them, I am nervous what will come out of the elk, deer, and antelope negotiations

Bighorner

WKR
I must not be very bright, how dose a unit become a 50 point unit when max points is 26? Maybe in 2046. Everything becomes a max point unit and will just stay that way.

Lawnboi

WKR
This is what caught my attention.

As if this were not bad enough news, it could potentially get much, much worse for nonresident hunters in Wyoming. The WWTF, the Wyoming Wildlife Task Force set up by the Commission and the Governor, of which I know a few of the members personally, is apparently working out a potential compromise for a 90/10 allocation for deer, elk and antelope as well. This process is in its infancy and has a long, long way to go yet. At this point, from what I am hearing this compromise appears to include, transferable land-owner tags, and an up to 50% outfitter set aside for outfitted nonresident hunters. Needless to say, this change would be horrendous for the DIY nonresident hunter as the nonresident allotment would be cut in half, and then half of that would be set aside for guided hunters, all while further subtracting the nonresident landowner tags from this pool in addition.

The 90/10 law for deer, elk and antelope still has a long way to go with some very large hurdles to be negotiated yet. If nothing, else, the financial repercussions of this change alone would be devastating for the Wyoming Game and Fish Department. Of the total $80 million budget, nonresident hunters and fisherman account for more than 60% of the revenue. This change could cut the department’s revenues by 30-40%. A cut of this magnitude would essentially be unsustainable. The residents will not bear this financial burden, we are confident in that, possibly leaving, yet again, the nonresident hunters to pick up the financial tab. We will keep you posted on the progress of this legislation as it progresses.

Of course just raise the price to make up the difference. It appears as if they want to make NR hunting into even more of a pay to play endeavor. If you don’t have the money you can “take your ball and go home”

The rich won’t have any problem hunting yearly.

Now isn’t THAT what we think hunting is all about.

Politicians doing politician things.

tdhanses

WKR
I must not be very bright, how dose a unit become a 50 point unit when max points is 26? Maybe in 2046. Everything becomes a max point unit and will just stay that way.
Yeah I wondered that at first but think about it, this year it’ll be 24, next 25 and so on, guessing 50 is where it’ll top out based on their analysis.

tdhanses

WKR
@BuzzH what’s funny, their analysis of everything or the fact NR won’t have much opportunities in the future which will increase resident odds 1%? To me whats funny is residents will still be complaining they can’t kill anything they want and that they don’t have 100% of tags, yet once again have propoed up the outfitters if the DEA changes in the article are accurate, maybe in time WY will only be resident tags, which then it might be worth considering making it a residence, it’s definitely the top of my list once the kids are out of school, Pinedale is nice and relatively affordable for an acreage.

But then again a guaranteed outfitter tag at $10k a pop really isn’t bad to not live in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR
Sucks if you've been spending your hard earned dollars for the past 20+ years. I have 4 antelope pts which I should probably use fairly soon.

The loud and clear message from WY residents is for non residents to go away to a large degree. Well, except for the outfitters that cater to the non residents. And I actually have no problem with that. Residents and the commission decide how to manage their wildlife. Just like non residents can decide whether or not to hunt WY.

Good job Wyoming. I'm hoping for 95:5 in Idaho and $500 big game resident tags. This is the way forward. Resident big game tags prices are a joke. I would easily pay $1,000 every year for an OTC elk tag in my own state. Residents value the resources in the states they live in. If non-residents want to play, pay 10x the price and have <1% draw odds. Don't like it? Move west and figure it out like the rest of us. Or stay home and hunt the big game in your state, if you have any.

BTW, I participate in my state's F&G commission. I suggest you do the same.

Lawnboi

WKR
Sucks if you've been spending your hard earned dollars for the past 20+ years. I have 4 antelope pts which I should probably use fairly soon.

The loud and clear message from WY residents is for non residents to go away to a large degree. Well, except for the outfitters that cater to the non residents. And I actually have no problem with that. Residents and the commission decide how to manage their wildlife. Just like non residents can decide whether or not to hunt WY.
They want you if you bring money

D_Dubya

Lil-Rokslider
It’s pretty simple, more demand and less supply means diminishing opportunities; and those opportunities will likely continue to diminish at an increasing rate. Non-residents aren’t “owed” a damn thing game wise, but I think it behooves states with lots of federal land to offer some opportunity for NR’s; the interest it generates has lots of benefits for the state, wildlife funding, organizations such as RMEF etc.

No way around it, the west just can’t support the numbers of game it would take to even remotely satisfy demand and as human populations skyrocket in the west, the NR hunter is SOL. Once Colorado comes to its senses and ends OTC elk and huge NR tag #’s the excrement will really hit the fan and NR hunting “out west” will become a few times in a lifetime endeavor for those willing to play the point game, or perhaps still a regular thing for those willing and able to buy LO tags. Plan accordingly.

NDGuy

WKR
I'd want a refund for my points. I already feel that way only having 6 in several states.

Status
Not open for further replies.