Wyoming Point Question

I have read through a couple other subjects on here but nothing answers this directly. I currently will have 12 elk points going into next year, my wife will have 10. The question is if we put in as a group into a general area and I pick as my first choice and she does the same unit as her second choice would we draw and she not use her points. Or if we put in as a group does the group number already decide that we both have to have the same unit as the first choice to draw as a group.

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
Your apps have to be the same in a group. You would be the group leader and apply for the unit and then your wife would input your group leader info. You would both be drawn and use your points, which would average out at 11.5. The other thing you can do is put in seperately for the same unit, and if one of you draw, you both go to Wyoming and then you still have points to apply the following year.

Jbenson

Lil-Rokslider
What he said. You have to apply for the same unit in a group app. With those points, I'd guess you could get in to a way better hunt than a general unit. Unless I misunderstood.

Jbenson

Lil-Rokslider
Personally, I'd opt to go hunt 2 separate years...and only 1 of you applies per year. Unless you kill elk regularly, I'd venture to say having 2 tags to fill in one season might be a stretch, and a waste of years of applying for preference points. Obviously, I dont know your situation or your thoughts, but this would ensure 2 Septembers in the mountains!!

Mojave

WKR
You need to think about 12 points or 11 collectivly has having the purchasing power in 2024 of what 8 or 9 points had in 2023.

Unless you are in the more expensive pool, and pay for limited tags.

I drew a unit with 9 points, that was projected to take 9 points that actually took 11 or 12 points for antelope in 2022. I am not sure if I drew on the margin or in the points pool. If I did, I was the only one with 9 points that drew it. This was a standard non-limited pool. I think I might have actually drawn with 9 in the limited pool.

You need to think about 12 points or 11 collectivly has having the purchasing power in 2024 of what 8 or 9 points had in 2023.

Unless you are in the more expensive pool, and pay for limited tags.

I drew a unit with 9 points, that was projected to take 9 points that actually took 11 or 12 points for antelope in 2022. I am not sure if I drew on the margin or in the points pool. If I did, I was the only one with 9 points that drew it. This was a standard non-limited pool. I think I might have actually drawn with 9 in the limited pool.
He said he is looking to draw general.

williaada

WKR
As someone mentioned earlier if you apply as a group, both will draw a general and you have 0 points for 2025.

well_known_rokslider

Lil-Rokslider
Personally, I'd opt to go hunt 2 separate years...and only 1 of you applies per year. Unless you kill elk regularly, I'd venture to say having 2 tags to fill in one season might be a stretch, and a waste of years of applying for preference points. Obviously, I dont know your situation or your thoughts, but this would ensure 2 Septembers in the mountains!!

This. Unless you have LOTS of vacation days, go one year with one tag, learn a unit, maybe get an elk. Go back again the next year with knowledge and experience on your side and have and even better chance of killing an elk. Free unsolicited advice. Good luck either way!

Man I'd hope you could do better than a General with 12 points, then two years later your wife would have 12 points. I'm with the others, go together for two hunts but have one shooter per hunt. You hunt now, she hunts in 2025 or 2026.

HoytHntr4

WKR
Depending on the unit maybe one of you could pick up a reduced priced cow tag to have in their pocket the same time the other has the bull tag, then flip the next year