Wyoming Public Land Whitetail

KHNC

WKR
This is just an FYI to help others out. Do yourself a favor and DONT bother with applying for a LE type 3 WT tag for Wyoming if your only access is public. I made that mistake this year. Hunters, Hunters and more Hunters! For an area with only 100 LE tags, the amount of people was crazy. Even Wy residents have to draw this tag , no OTC and it wasnt a GEN area for deer either. As for getting away from hunters, not really possible as whitetail usually frequent the creek and river bottoms. Never even saw a whitetail the entire time I was there. Saw a couple huge muleys, but thats another story and 8-9 points. lol. Im still not sure its worth it for Muleys either, as it was a week after MD season ended and the rut was progressing. Ended up heading to South Dakota with my buddy to hunt private. That should have been the plan from the beginning. lol. Dont make the same mistake as me.

wytx

WKR
I hear ya!!
I have private access but no WTs to be found. Spouse has public land WT tag and has not seen a single deer, but no other hunters.
Residents get those tags in addition to their muley tags so we try to hit it hard bit like you said access can be hard and lots of folks out looking for WTs these days it seems. Ranchers used to hate them abut now they are $$ in their pockets.
I would say unless you have access, might look to another deer license.

Hope SD treated you right.

This is just an FYI to help others out. Do yourself a favor and DONT bother with applying for a LE type 3 WT tag for Wyoming if your only access is public. I made that mistake this year. Hunters, Hunters and more Hunters! For an area with only 100 LE tags, the amount of people was crazy. Even Wy residents have to draw this tag , no OTC and it wasnt a GEN area for deer either. As for getting away from hunters, not really possible as whitetail usually frequent the creek and river bottoms. Never even saw a whitetail the entire time I was there. Saw a couple huge muleys, but thats another story and 8-9 points. lol. Im still not sure its worth it for Muleys either, as it was a week after MD season ended and the rut was progressing. Ended up heading to South Dakota with my buddy to hunt private. That should have been the plan from the beginning. lol. Dont make the same mistake as me.

OP
KHNC

KHNC

WKR
I hear ya!!
I have private access but no WTs to be found. Spouse has public land WT tag and has not seen a single deer, but no other hunters.
Residents get those tags in addition to their muley tags so we try to hit it hard bit like you said access can be hard and lots of folks out looking for WTs these days it seems. Ranchers used to hate them abut now they are $$ in their pockets.
I would say unless you have access, might look to another deer license.

Hope SD treated you right.
Well that totally makes sense. I thought LE tag meant just that. If a resident can draw in addition to muley tag, that explains the onslaught of hunters! Guess i should have researched a bit deeper. Yes, SD was awesome. Passed a few nice bucks and unfortunately missed a really nice 5x5 at 64 yds with my bow. But the experience was awesome for sure. Private land and SD is a great combo. Even saw a big muley, but it was after shooting hours 2nd evening.

BKIdaho

FNG
That sucks. Thought the checkerboard on my elk hunt was bad, but had plenty of elk around.