Wyoming results posted

Just checked my Wyoming apps - and for the 1st time in 13 years I didn't draw my usual antelope unit:(

Times sure have changed - that unit didn't even used to sell out a few years ago.

Hope others are having better luck!!

Laramie

WKR
I drew deer but no antelope. The odds for everything seem to have jumped. Very few tags available in the leftover pool.

JFK

WKR
I struck out. Antelope unit I put in for required double the minimum points to draw as last year, even in the special draw.

MOwhitetail

Lil-Rokslider
I too struck out. I looked at the leftover tags. What is the difference between hunt code 1 and 2? Say 23-1 or 23-2. The latter supposedly has over 1000 leftover tags?

Brendan

WKR
I drew a 47-1 tag. Never really looked into it much, but I guess I'm going Antelope hunting for the first time either before or after my Colorado 1st rifle Elk hunt. Didn't draw a doe tag, so will have to check out the leftover draw there.

If anyone knows the unit - I'd love to chat via PM. But I sort of figure it'll just be have OnX and Gaia ready to go for public / private, drive around to find an antelope, shoot it. That easy, right? ;)

NoWiser

WKR
I drew a 47-1 tag. Never really looked into it much, but I guess I'm going Antelope hunting for the first time either before or after my Colorado 1st rifle Elk hunt. Didn't draw a doe tag, so will have to check out the leftover draw there.

If anyone knows the unit - I'd love to chat via PM. But I sort of figure it'll just be have OnX and Gaia ready to go for public / private, drive around to find an antelope, shoot it. That easy, right? ;)

Yes, it is actually that easy. Have fun and don't shoot the first one you see. Congrats.

Brendan

WKR
Yes, it is actually that easy. Have fun and don't shoot the first one you see. Congrats.

Well, I'm hunting Elk too, going to see about leftover doe tags, and I'm actually waiting on Montana Antelope results too. So, depending on how many tags I have in my pocket, this may become a quantity over quality trip...

Anyone have any experience hunting late? Say, second half of October? It's either that, or head there beginning of October before heading to Colorado.

We had 3 points going into the special draw for a type 2 tag and last year, 100% chance.

This year with those points, it was a 25% chance for 2nd season and 100% chance for 1st season lol

It's the draw "see-saw"! People see the results from the previous year and say, "hey, I'll be in for that tag for sure" but then 30 other people think the same thing.

Good thing we had a back up plan with the Colorado elk draw :cool:

BuzzH

WKR
Anyone have any experience hunting late? Say, second half of October? It's either that, or head there beginning of October before heading to Colorado.

Yes, and yes...concentrate on your buck as any leftover doe tags are going to be out in BFE somewhere in a tough access unit.

The pronghorn will be in large groups in the second half of October, and they'll have been shot at. The good thing is you can judge a lot of bucks fast. The bad thing is you have a lot of eyes and sorting out the buck you want from a big herd.

Its not the unit it was in the early 2000's but there are some good bucks in there still. Its almost all public, don't forget part of the unit is East of 487...I hear good things about that side:

Buzz02ant.JPG

Pats02ant.JPG

A couple others, from the central part of the unit:

Img37.jpg

IMG_0470_2_1.JPG

OP
Oregonmuley
I too struck out. I looked at the leftover tags. What is the difference between hunt code 1 and 2? Say 23-1 or 23-2. The latter supposedly has over 1000 leftover tags?
The type 2 tags in that unit are for private land only so unless you have access to private its not a tag you want which is why there are so many leftover tags in that unit.

Fitzwho

WKR
I struck out in the Special Draw. Unit I had as 2nd choice was a 100% draw last year, with only 2 people applying as a 3rd choice on Special in 2019. This year, 66 people total applied, 18 of those as First Choice.

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider

set

Hunt Area 23
Apply For
Season Dates
Special Archery Dates
License Limitations
023-1​
Oct. 1 - Oct. 31​
Aug. 15 - Sep. 30​
Any antelope​
023-2​
Oct. 1 - Oct. 31​
Aug. 15 - Sep. 30​
Any antelope valid on private land​
023-6​
Oct. 1 - Oct. 31​
Aug. 15 - Sep. 30​
Doe or fawn​
023-7​
Oct. 1 - Oct. 31​
Aug. 15 - Sep. 30​
Doe or fawn valid on private land​

EdP

WKR
I too failed to draw in the unit I have drawn the past 2 years for Wy pronghorn (random non-res draw). 83% chance of drawing in 2018, 86% in 2019, 6.5% in 2020. The quota was reduced to 25% of what it had been and there were 4 times as many 1st choice applicants. Other units had significant quota reductions but not as severe. Not only does it make for disappointment for this year, but it makes it very hard to decide what to apply for next year until reasons for the change are understood.

Jimss

WKR
This year seems to be a tough year for drawing antelope and deer tags. It was a pretty rough winter in scattered areas across Wyo so tags were cut. Even doe tags may be tougher to come by in some units.

I haven't really researched much to see if there were more applicants this year than previous years? I'm sure a lot of guys were bored out of their minds at home with the virus deal going on and decided to apply. Others that may have lost their jobs and are pinched for cash that may not have applied? Others that were leery about the virus during hunting season may not have applied. It's really tough to say? It seems like a lot of guys didn't draw and overall it took more pts to draw most tags this year. My guess is that tags won't be any easier to draw in 2021.

Last edited: