Wyoming unit 8 cow tag.

Stan

FNG
This is one of the few times I couldn't dig through the knowledge on here with the search button and find somewhat of an answer.
This will be the 3rd season I've been able to hunt elk and I decided to keep this year a meat hunt (hopefully)
I drew a cow tag for unit 8 this in Wyoming just Southwest of Laramie. (Struck out even with points on antelope and mule deer) was going to wait till the migration from CO. since the tag is good till January but as of right now with work my only vacation week is end of September, which is when I plan on going.
I've read that there are some resident elk on Jelm mountain but after looking on Onyx and talking to biologist who laughed and pretty much said I should probably wait till the migration. I'm starting to wonder if I should just hold off and pull a vacation week first of January.
Sorry for the long post. I guess in a nutshell I was just curious if anybody had any knowledge of that area for early season cows or resident elk on what looks like straight up antelope and mule deer country.

Last edited:

wytx

WKR
Yep that;s a migration tag and some years they just stage in Colorado and never cross over the state line.
You might call one of the large landowners there and ask about trespass fee hunt.
Later the better and pray for snow.

OP
Stan

Stan

FNG
Yep that;s a migration tag and some years they just stage in Colorado and never cross over the state line.
You might call one of the large landowners there and ask about trespass fee hunt.
Later the better and pray for snow.
The trespass fee is a really good idea! I hadn't thought about that.

wytx

WKR
Wouldn't hurt to get a Cherokee Park HMA slip, elk can use that area late in season.