Struck out WY General Looking for Cow

CubsFan04

FNG
Idaho resident that pulled a Wyoming NR general tag. Struck out on my main hunt in unit 91 but noticed I can go back first half of November for a cow in nearby unit 103. Per On X's layer looks like the majority of the unit is winter range. For a cow this time of year should I be focusing on the winter range or still the summer range? Any other advice on the unit appreciated. I've spent a good amount of time in 91 but never 103.

csatt90

FNG
I was able to fill my non resident general bull tag this last weekend in a unit a little north of where you are talking. The small herd we found the bull in was at 9,500 feet, so somewhere between Winter and Summer range it seemed like in that particular area. We had 4-6" of snow.

Elk haven’t even thought about winter range yet. They may have dropped down some but not relocated. Especially in units with feed grounds.

So I guess the question for you would be are there resident elk in 193. Best of luck!

robtattoo

WKR
I just got home from 3 weeks in 92. Even with the temperature drop & snow, all the resident elk were either reeeeal high up, or holding very tight in the blowdowns. No sign of any migration starting.
I was into elk most days, mostly cows & calves, but dadgum it was tough hunting.

TaperPin

WKR
You might spend some time in Afton drinking coffee at a local breakfast hangout - old Roy knows if Kenny or Bobby have seen elk on their places yet. Kenny encourages anyone with a tag to hunt - it’s just one less elk eating his cow hay. Bobby lets guys hunt north of the old cow camp, but his wife loves a small herd to hang out around the horse corals and she will chase you down with her side by side if she sees you anywhere south of Dale’s place. Heck, old Roy likes you and has been wanting to stop in an chat with Kenny about a young mule he might be willing to sell, and will introduce you.

Tell a hybrid car joke, jump in his pickup and away you go. If Kenny’s son isn’t still chasing after that Callahan girl, when you come back with your outfit he’ll be around and will go with you and unlock the gate to the good hay - shooting a cow off the stack will get you on your way faster. That boy will crawl over glass for that girl so don’t count on it. You may have to stop and fix the fence - that big hereford bull of the Johnsons was pushing on it hard the other day and got out and old Roy told Mary Johnson he’d fix it while her husband was in Salt Lake buying an old tractor. Bringing you along means old Roy not only has help with the fence, but he doesn’t have to open or close the 6 gates. On the way back to your truck don’t be surprised if he point to herd of elk up on a stretch of public land.
🙂

Last edited:
OP
C

CubsFan04

FNG
Thanks for the replies. I was able to get out there this past Saturday and glassed up some elk at first light. Was making my way to them when a pack string of horses crossed between me and the elk and I wasn't able to locate them again after that. Hoping to get back out there this weekend.