Wyomings Mule deer Migration Imperiled Video

Just watched this video on Wyoming's mule deer migration by the Eastmans. Its full of great information and understanding of how the mule deer operate and what type of habitat they spend their time in depending on what time of year it is defiantly worth the watch.

Just watched this video on Wyoming's mule deer migration by the Eastmans. Its full of great information and understanding of how the mule deer operate and what type of habitat they spend their time in depending on what time of year it is defiantly worth the watch.

Great share! Lots of cool info I think more hunters could use from the migration research that's been published.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for posting this. Got it in my que to watch!

Important video for hunters to watch.

I gave it "sticky" status so it stays at the top of the mule deer forum (and @UT_Hunter I slightly modified your title so the search engines can pick it up).

Once you've viewed it, please share your feedback.

and it's so good to see Popeye, Morty, and (I think I saw) Goliath again

Last edited:

sasquatch

WKR
Coincidentally I watched it also a week or so ago when I came across it.

Good info, I wish more people and even hunters included would realize how impactful human development/encroachment truly is to our wildlife

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WCB

WKR
I think the purchase of wintering grounds and travel corridors should be one of the biggest focuses of conservation companies. I know there is a big push to "unlock" tons of public land for use by strategic purchases. IMO, this is a bigger priority with how bad the building is getting outwest.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey all, I just text Robby to see if he was ok with me commenting on this. Lots of new faces here which is a really cool thing to see. I haven't had the time since I took the job at Eastmans' to be as active as I was when this forum launched and it's first few years of growth. So I apologize if I fee like a stranger randomly jumping in to comment here at Rokslide.

This has been a fun project to get a front seat on. Please take the time to watch it in it's entirety, this one is pretty near to many of our hearts.

From a take action stand point, Wyoming is far from the only state with a mandate to work on mule deer related projects. The department of the interior mandated BIG long term projects for the western states wildlife. One of the reasons we felt that this project was so important was because every western state but 3 are tackling mule deer related issues with that mandate.

Contact your state agencies and ask where you can help. Many non-profits have been involved and if Robby is cool with it I will post links to a couple that have helped with the Wyoming Migration Initiative in particular.

Let me know if you have any questions, and yes Robby, you saw Goliath.

slick

WKR
Which 3 states are currently not taking action?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

street

WKR
I think the purchase of wintering grounds and travel corridors should be one of the biggest focuses of conservation companies. I know there is a big push to "unlock" tons of public land for use by strategic purchases. IMO, this is a bigger priority with how bad the building is getting outwest.
Yep. Look no further than the front range. I 70 corridor another great example of destroying migration routes. Its well known in the literature and agreed upon among biologists this is the biggest reason for deer numbers declining.

sasquatch

WKR
Too many damn destructive wasteful humans with an uncontrolled population growth.

Wonder what yea 2100 will look like

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Which 3 states are currently not taking action?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If my understanding is correct it's not that they didn't pick a long term project, its that mule deer wasn't the subject of it. I will have to ask a few questions to find out what states did what.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yep. Look no further than the front range. I 70 corridor another great example of destroying migration routes. Its well known in the literature and agreed upon among biologists this is the biggest reason for deer numbers declining.
Yes, this is a big part of what is going on. Much of the "views to die for" areas listed in the real estate sections are prime wintering areas. With minimal chunks of land getting pulled off of ranches every year it whittles away at the travel corridor sizes.

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
That video is one of the best mule deer videos a guy can watch IMO. Lots of cool little information bits. As a fellow mule deer junkie it got me thinking of things that I maybe otherwise wouldn’t, and was quite eye opening. Plus who doesn’t like seeing the Wyoming living legends? If you haven’t watched it yet, it’s very worth while.

Too many damn destructive wasteful humans with an uncontrolled population growth.

Wonder what yea 2100 will look like

There will be no public ownership of guns. The deer will have long since died out from CWD, unchecked human population growth and their affects and unchecked technological advancements in transportation, and game identifying technology which aided in their extinction. “I estimated that CWD was causing a 19 percent annual reduction in the population, which is pretty significant,” she said. “Potentially, in 41 years, it would be locally extinct.” https://www.wyofile.com/study-chronic-wasting-disease-kills-19-deer-annually/

Last edited:

A great video loaded with big bucks and pretty amazing info about these mule deer.

emhowe

FNG

Thanks for the video

great watch

More amazing footage from Eastmans. Spend time in the woods and you get to see nature at it's finest.