X-Bolt Replacement Trigger with 3 Position Safety

Netherman

WKR
Does anyone know of a replacement trigger that allows the 3 position safety to function? I know that the Timney does not and am currently trying to figure out if the JARD does. Are there any other options out there?

I don't like how the stock trigger slops side to side, so the mcarbo trigger spring wouldn't get me where I want to be. I'm looking to find a trigger that feels more "solid".

seawolfxix

Lil-Rokslider
I asked both companies in March via email. JARD responded 4 days after Timney. Neither offers a trigger that is compatible with the bolt unlock button.

OP
N

Netherman

WKR
I asked both companies in March via email. JARD responded 4 days after Timney. Neither offers a trigger that is compatible with the bolt unlock button.

Guess I'm two days away from JARD telling me it won't work. Have you found anything else out there?

manitou1

WKR
I don't believe there are any other after market triggers for the X bolt.
I put Mcarbo spring kits in all mine.

OP
N

Netherman

WKR
Still haven't heard the bad news from JARD, but I just emailed Browning asking if they had any thoughts on how to get rid of the side to side play. Maybe if they get enough complaints they will address it in their design and I can buy a factory replacement.

I'll let you guys know what they tell me.

OP
N

Netherman

WKR
Finally got around to calling them. I was told that it was supposed to be able to move side to side for durability reasons and that it needed to do that to last three lifetimes. I could send it in to them and they would make sure it was functioning correctly... There are no aftermarket triggers that they would comment on (seemed like a legal issue).

Pretty bummed with their response. I'm not sure how many complaints/questions they've received, but I felt like the guy just wanted me to go away. The good news is that I'll get an extra two lifetimes of sloppy trigger.

2five7

WKR
I have a couple xbolts, never noticed any side to side slop in the triggers. Both have mcarbo springs, and break clean right at 2lbs.

seawolfxix

Lil-Rokslider
I'm coming back to update this thread since these rifles are pretty common, and I think a lot of people are looking for trigger information. I tried both the MCARBO spring and the Timney 603 trigger in my X-Bolt Pro this year.

Unfortunately, the MCARBO spring was disappointing. The instructional video shows a pull weight of approximately 2.5 lbs with two threads of the adjustment screw exposed, but my rifle measured closer to 4.5 lbs. I had to back out the screw until barely one thread was engaged, and the lowest measurements were just under 3 lbs. This was less than ideal because then I had to worry about the screw falling out. Also, the spring did not fix the poor feel of the Browning trigger.

I posted this review on MCARBO's website in May, and now it seems to have disappeared. This might explain their 4.94/5.00 stars if they are actively removing low ratings.

I was hesitant to install the Timney 603 trigger for two reasons. First, some of the prior reviews on MidwayUSA and on Timney's website indicated that there were interference issues with the stock, but I did not find this to be true with my 2019 X-bolt Pro. No modifications were required.

Secondly, the factory trigger group locks the bolt closed when the safety is engaged, and Browning includes a button on the bolt handle that allows you to open it while keeping the safety engaged. The Timney trigger is not compatible with this button (as noted above in this thread). After installing the Timney trigger, the bolt does not stay locked closed if the safety is engaged. The bolt is free to open, which could allow it to come out of battery while hiking around the woods. In the end, I decided that the improved trigger was worth losing the bolt locking functionality. Lastly, Timney does not allow you to post a review on their website unless you purchase direct from them.

Attached is a photo of the two trigger groups (Browning vs. Timney).

Attachments

• IMG_1156-2.JPG
    IMG_1156-2.JPG
    259.9 KB · Views: 26
seawolfxix,

Interesting. On my X Bolt Hells Canyon Speed 30 06 I can get 2.5 lbs with the MCarbo spring but as you said with only a couple of threads engaged. I added some locktite and so far no issues. My new X Bolt Max Long Range is different. With the MCarbo spring I can't get less than about 3.2 lbs with maybe 3 or 4 threads in. If I back it out any more the trigger locks up. Called MCarbo and they said that was okay all triggers are different. They also said that the spring should not lock up the trigger.

With the Timney it fit my Speed ok. Occasionally my safety would lock up or be really hard to engage. But this was intermittent. Not sure if the safety bar connecting rod is hanging up????

On my Max the trigger ears would not fit into the gun. I had to sand the inside of the ears of the trigger to get a fit. Seems there is a lip in the ear area on the gun now that was not on my Speed. Safety would stick occasionally on the Max also. But during an extended shooting session, I went to pull the trigger and the safety was on, but the indicator said it was off. Tried to move the safety off and it was stuck. Gave it some pressure forward and the gun went off. Lucky it was still in the vice and pointed down range. Went in and immediately removed the trigger. Now I'm not sure what is up??????

On the Max I checked the inside of the stock and noticed that someone at the factory ground the area on both sides of the front of the trigger area just behind the bedding. Pretty crappy job and not sure why? Not really in the area of the safety bar connecting rod.

When people said they had to modify or grind the stock was that for clearance on the safety bar connecting rod??? If so how much did you grind??

Just another note, the issues with the safety sticking on both guns got worse the more I shot it. I thought it might wear in a little with use but not the case.

Last edited:

BCD

WKR
I have no issues with side to side movement on my HC Speed 300 WSM Xbolt. I got the trigger down to 2.7 lbs with the Mccarbo spring and there is absolutely no slop-very crisp.

rodney482

WKR
Went Timney.... could not be happier.... and had to modify my Mcmillan stock..

Just talked to Browning. They recommend that you leave 2.5 threads in on the trigger screw. He has never heard of the issue I was having and suggested I send the gun in.

rodney482

WKR
Just talked to Browning. They recommend that you leave 2.5 threads in on the trigger screw. He has never heard of the issue I was having and suggested I send the gun in.
My mcarbo spring was junk... right along w my factory trigger

rodney482

What did you have to modify on your stock to get the Timney to work???? Mine fit okay but the safety would stick occasionally???? You still shooting Athens bows????

rodney482

WKR
rodney482

What did you have to modify on your stock to get the Timney to work???? Mine fit okay but the safety would stick occasionally???? You still shooting Athens bows????

safety bar was rubbing. 10 min w dremel and it worked flawlessly. I left Athens last Oct but still shoot an Athens bow.

I ended up replacing the stock trigger with a Timney and it made a world of difference.

Even with the spring, while I could get mine down to around 2lbs is was VERY inconsistent as far as weight and creep goes. Sometimes it would pop right off, sometimes there would be some creep before it let loose, and that lead to much inconsistency when shooting.

Installing the timney wasn't terrible, but I had to shave some material off the safety bar to make it fit into the stock without binding the safety. If your safety is binding, you need to do this. Otherwise it was a straight-forward install and its now a dream to shoot.