X curve

Jmort1754

WKR
Let’s say someone has an x curve frame. What bag would you recommend for 5-7 days hunts as well as day pack.

Thought about a water proof roll top just not sure what direction to go.

md126

WKR
5900 or 6900 depending on how you like the layout of the bag/zippers/pockets, etc

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Let’s say someone has an x curve frame. What bag would you recommend for 5-7 days hunts as well as day pack.

Thought about a water proof roll top just not sure what direction to go.

I would recommend either the 5900 or the 6200. Both pack down to the perfect day pack, and will easily get you by for 5-7 days. I personally like the Sky archer 6200 because it is designed around an archery hunter. I will say the 5900 is probably the most popular bag. You can't go wrong with either set up.

Thorn154

FNG
Has anyone owned a kuiu icon pro and switched to a Stone Glacier, thoughts? I currently have the 5200 but can't seem to get the shoulder straps to fit right. Looking to try the Xcurve.

Sharpspur

FNG
I went with the 6900. Should be here thursday. I just liked the layout of access better on this one

Has anyone owned a kuiu icon pro and switched to a Stone Glacier, thoughts? I currently have the 5200 but can't seem to get the shoulder straps to fit right. Looking to try the Xcurve.

I did. I don't have a ton of time with the xcurve yet, just playing around with it in my basement a little - I'm sure there are several others that can chime in, but I'll give you my opinion. I thought the Icon Pro was very comfortable with under 40# in it..Loved the way it fit, suspension had plenty of padding, no complaints. My wife surprised me with an x-curve and I immediately began playing around with it. The hip belt and shoulder pads arent quite as cushioned as the kuiu, and with 20-40# in it, I actually thought the kuiu was a little more comfortable. Not that the x-curve was uncomfortable, the kuiu was just a little more "fluffy". I then grabbed 65# and tossed it in my kuiu and it was uncomfortable. Not terrible or undo-able, but definitely something I'd know a mile into the hike. Put that same 65# in the xcurve and it felt about the same as 30#. Very comfortable, and I wouldn't be afraid to pack that all day. The design of the frame seems to disperse the weight throughout your whole back rather than concentrating it on your shoulders and hips/lumbar.

I also like the load shelf on the xcurve. None of the weight is supported by the pack like on a kuiu, and I don't have to buy and take along a separate load carrier for training or mean hauling.

And I know its probably the most minor detail, but I like that when I set the xcurve down on the ground, the hip belt (and whole pack) lays flat. The formed hip belt on the kuiu doesnt lay flat real well so its always tipping to one side or the other when you lay it on the ground.

5900. Take the lid off and it’s down to more like 4000. Compression straps help you get it even smaller if you want.

Danimal

Lil-Rokslider
Picked up a SG sky archer for my x-curve and am really looking forward to using it this year. Put about 2/3 my gear and a 40lb bag of salt on the load shelf and it felt great with plenty of options to compress down or expand out based on the scenario.

Thorn154

FNG
I did. I don't have a ton of time with the xcurve yet, just playing around with it in my basement a little - I'm sure there are several others that can chime in, but I'll give you my opinion. I thought the Icon Pro was very comfortable with under 40# in it..Loved the way it fit, suspension had plenty of padding, no complaints. My wife surprised me with an x-curve and I immediately began playing around with it. The hip belt and shoulder pads arent quite as cushioned as the kuiu, and with 20-40# in it, I actually thought the kuiu was a little more comfortable. Not that the x-curve was uncomfortable, the kuiu was just a little more "fluffy". I then grabbed 65# and tossed it in my kuiu and it was uncomfortable. Not terrible or undo-able, but definitely something I'd know a mile into the hike. Put that same 65# in the xcurve and it felt about the same as 30#. Very comfortable, and I wouldn't be afraid to pack that all day. The design of the frame seems to disperse the weight throughout your whole back rather than concentrating it on your shoulders and hips/lumbar.

I also like the load shelf on the xcurve. None of the weight is supported by the pack like on a kuiu, and I don't have to buy and take along a separate load carrier for training or mean hauling.

And I know its probably the most minor detail, but I like that when I set the xcurve down on the ground, the hip belt (and whole pack) lays flat. The formed hip belt on the kuiu doesnt lay flat real well so its always tipping to one side or the other when you lay it on the ground.

Thanks for the detailed response, that's helpful. Are you going to run both in different scenarios or are you sold on the SG?

Thanks for the detailed response, that's helpful. Are you going to run both in different scenarios or are you sold on the SG?

No I sold the Kuiu. I have no reason to own two frames. I'm running an avail on it right now (being able to use the pack for more than hunting helped me justify the cost a little more), and will likely go with a 5900 when I need more than a day pack.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
I don’t know how anyone runs the 5900 for a true 5-7 day trip. I wonder if most say they are out there 7 days but it’s really 2.5 lol.

I pack light, average amount of food per day, etc and I can get 3-5 days in the early fall but need the 6900 for 5-10 days in the late fall colder temps.

I don't think you can really go too big, and I'd suggest a 6900. I ran it on a 10 day mountain goat hunt, and even though we lost a few days due to weather it was pretty dang full and I think I would've struggled fitting gear for 7 days in a 5900. Not saying it couldn't be done, just that the extra space in the 6900 made it easier.

Beyond that, the bag is so compressible that I don't see how you'll even notice any extra size in a "day pack" type mode. In fact, I'm headed to Kodiak for a boat based blacktail hunt in November and I fully plan on running my X-curve with the 6900 as a day pack (with the lid removed). I bought a Kiowa that I thought about running, but the weight penalty for the X-curve/6900 is IMO negligible, the size difference between the two when the bag is compressed is also negligible, and the X-curve/6900 provides so much more in the way of capabilities than the Kiowa that it became a fairly easy choice.

Long story short...I'd go big :)