XLR Element 3.0 Chassis Review, By Travis Bertrand

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Cover.jpg

Have you been thinking about using a chassis on your hunting rifle but are unsure how well it would work? Maybe the weight of a traditional chassis has kept you from making the switch? @Travis Bertrand has been reviewing the XLR Element 3.0 on his rifles this year with those things in mind. Find out if the pluses outweigh the minuses in his review.

XLR Element 3.0 Chassis Review

KGMtnGuy

FNG
Thanks, Travis. Great review! I'm curious what Remington 700 barreled action you're using as well as the trigger assembly. Did you take it from an existing, complete rifle, or source it separately. Thanks!

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks, Travis. Great review! I'm curious what Remington 700 barreled action you're using as well as the trigger assembly. Did you take it from an existing, complete rifle, or source it separately. Thanks!
Thanks!
The one I think you are referring to is a .223 Rem built for my kids. That particular action has a stock trigger. I have had 3-4 different actions in that chassis and 3 different triggers- stock, timney, and Triggertech. all worked well.

Whats a good cheap adjustable ar buttstock setup I could pick up for this as a kid friendly rig?
I don't have a clue with that stuff. Have an ar but it just gets shot and thats about it

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Whats a good cheap adjustable ar buttstock setup I could pick up for this as a kid friendly rig?
I don't have a clue with that stuff. Have an ar but it just gets shot and thats about it
Im not sure on that,
You'll need a buffer tube, then you can put any buttstock on it to my knowledge.

XLR sell this.

Thanks for sharing more of the chassis system which I've been ignorant of. I love my Mountain Ascent, but the stock fit is not ideal so I've had to add an aftermarket cheek pad. The adjustable cheek pad/stock is intriguing.

1. How much did your rifle weigh all in, without bipod or bullets in mag?
2. Where do you hold it when hiking a lot with it in your hands? On my traditional stock I hold it right in front of the trigger guard where it's nicely balanced, which needless to say isn't going to happen with a big magazine, or do you use a small, flush magazine or is it weight balanced in a different area?

I'll be in the market soon for a 300wsm, so inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks,

Steve

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for sharing more of the chassis system which I've been ignorant of. I love my Mountain Ascent, but the stock fit is not ideal so I've had to add an aftermarket cheek pad. The adjustable cheek pad/stock is intriguing.

1. How much did your rifle weigh all in, without bipod or bullets in mag?
2. Where do you hold it when hiking a lot with it in your hands? On my traditional stock I hold it right in front of the trigger guard where it's nicely balanced, which needless to say isn't going to happen with a big magazine, or do you use a small, flush magazine or is it weight balanced in a different area?

I'll be in the market soon for a 300wsm, so inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks,

Steve

I hold it right in front of the mag. Sometimes I hold the mag, and trigger guard. It’s fairly similar in size with a 3 round mag.

Weight wise, it weighed in at 9lbs 5oz with scope(leupold mark5hd 7-35), and a couple adapters on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cover.jpg

Have you been thinking about using a chassis on your hunting rifle but are unsure how well it would work? Maybe the weight of a traditional chassis has kept you from making the switch? @Travis Bertrand has been reviewing the XLR Element 3.0 on his rifles this year with those things in mind. Find out if the pluses outweigh the minuses in his review.

XLR Element 3.0 Chassis Review
How did this chassis manage recoil? I'm building a 300 prc and I am trying to choose between the element and the new HNT26 from mdt....or an AG composite stock.

How is the lockup on the folder? Any play in the mechanism?

Does it have mounting options for an internal weight system or is it only exterior mlok?

Where is the balance point with your current setup?

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
How is the lockup on the folder? Any play in the mechanism?

Does it have mounting options for an internal weight system or is it only exterior mlok?

Where is the balance point with your current setup?

There is adjustment to keep everything nice and tight. I have two of the folders and another on the way and have been happy with them.

XLR offers a couple internal weight kits for their buttstocks. XLR Accessories

I'm not sure about Travis' rifle but you can set the balance point just about anywhere you want with all the different weight options XLR offers. Barrel diameter and length obviously plays a big role as well.

How did this chassis manage recoil? I'm building a 300 prc and I am trying to choose between the element and the new HNT26 from mdt....or an AG composite stock.

I think it works very well. I have a fairly light 300 WSM in the magnesium Element that is pushing 215 Bergers over 2900 without any issue.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree with Justin, the chassis handles recoil well as it is so adjustable.

They do make an internal weight kit for this particular chassis. I’ve used this chassis on 4 diffeeent barreled actions and the balance point was different on all of them. Weight balances out the rifle, however , most of the rifles balanced 2-5” in front of the mag well(besides my bull barreled 6.5 creed)
15da4f868d566e52d7361a1a01ca558c.jpg

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don’t have much experience on other folders so I can’t make a fair assumption, it works well for me though! I know reviews of other people say it’s sloppy but I feel it’s fairly tight for cutting something in half.

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
I've got the Magnesium 4.0 for the XM Lone Peak action. I also have the folder and feel like it locks up tight and won't cause any issues. I'm waiting on my brake to show up, but I'll update once I start putting rounds down range. I also have an JV Envy Pro setup on my 6BR that's pretty nice.
6868f2a8c5e5f1913a64102755a7121f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've got the Magnesium 4.0 for the XM Lone Peak action. I also have the folder and feel like it locks up tight and won't cause any issues. I'm waiting on my brake to show up, but I'll update once I start putting rounds down range. I also have an JV Envy Pro setup on my 6BR that's pretty nice.
6868f2a8c5e5f1913a64102755a7121f.jpg

I just place my order for the JV ENVY PRO. Cant friggin wait!
Good looking rifle!

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
Here is my JV Envy Pro. Lots of different configurations with the different weights. I'm running the internal fore end weights, buffer tube and rear stock weights. This 22BR is a pretty nice setup for PRS. It's pretty hard to beat an XLR setup. Matt Sowa is responsible for this sweet Crimson Cerakote job. He's on here and his work is top notch!
2fd2826786f60c2874cc8365845a42ea.jpg

Reactions: XLR