XLR magnesium Chassis vs. Stockys M50

Jfjfrye

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for opinions on Stock vs. chassis.

This will be for a Savage 110 ultralight in 300wsm. Recoil mitigation and overall functionality are the two things I’m curious about. I’d like to be able to spot my shots as well as keep my setup relatively light weight. I love the idea of a folding chassis. But I’ve read on other posts on the forum that a standard stock may help with magnums and recoil.

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated!

Tahoe1305

WKR
I have a savage 7wsm in an xlr mag chassis with CF stock and folder. I think it’s 8.5lbs with scope and rings.

I don’t find recoil to be an issue with it. And it has the smallest recoil pad ever. Biggest advantage for the stockys IMO is weight (it will be close to half as heavy) and cost (1/3 or so).

For a cross reference, I have a 7wsm tikka in Stockys VG (similar to M50 ish), recoil on that doesn’t bother me a ton either. I do think it’s more, but only due to shedding 1.5lbs.

I think for savage and desire for chassis, xlr is way to go though.

Inky_22

FNG
I shoot a 300wsm in an XLR Element with a 22” carbon barrel and a vx3hd. Can’t give an exact weight but it’s far from heavy. I run a soco omega 300 with a bravo anchor brake. Before the XLR it was in a KRG Bravo. There’s a slight difference in feel for the shooter but nothing that impacts shootability. i can shoot it all day without issue. However, spotting my impacts is tough in either setup.

22Conch

FNG
I am wondering same but Rem 700 action. i have a 300 WSM in Stockys M50 and am going to swap it to the XLR Element Chassis I have to compare the two. I just need a mag for the 300 wsm and chassis as it normally has a .308 sitting in it.

chicoredneck

Lil-Rokslider
I have 2 rifles set up in XLR magnesium chassis. A 6.5 and 300 prc. Recoil to me isn’t any different than with a stocked rifle. I like the chassis as I have a folding stock for fitting in a pack and the Arca rail for quickly attaching the rifle to a tripod. Both are features I use regularly. Of the 7 animals shot with the rifles last year, 4 of them were with the rifle mounted to a tripod directly to the Arca rail. It’s a fantastic feature.

Inky_22

FNG
I have yet to talk to anyone who regretted buying the XLR. Both options have pros and cons, at the end of the day it’s personal preference. For me, the folding stock, arca, and weight have me loving my xlr.

22Conch

FNG
I have 2 rifles set up in XLR magnesium chassis. A 6.5 and 300 prc. Recoil to me isn’t any different than with a stocked rifle. I like the chassis as I have a folding stock for fitting in a pack and the Arca rail for quickly attaching the rifle to a tripod. Both are features I use regularly. Of the 7 animals shot with the rifles last year, 4 of them were with the rifle mounted to a tripod directly to the Arca rail. It’s a fantastic feature.

I have the element 3.0. I’m thinking about selling it and getting an element for 4.0 just because of the integrated Arca.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chicoredneck

Lil-Rokslider
I had a 3.0. I sold it and upgraded to the 4.0 for the built in rail. I used a saddle mount with the 3.0 which wasn’t as steady and a lot slower. The built in rail is very fast to use and rock solid.

I have an xlr, and I find it noticeably better than factory stock that was on the savage ultralite, can’t speak on the stocky’s, but the xlr is a big improvement in handling. I love shooting the xlr, it was the ideal stock for my needs with that rifle

22Conch

FNG
I may have to start another thread to get some opinions on this, but I’m thinking about swapping my .308 barrel action and my 300 WSM barrel action between my XLR element.

I’m wondering if anybody does that?

And what comes with doing that that I should know.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I may have to start another thread to get some opinions on this, but I’m thinking about swapping my .308 barrel action and my 300 WSM barrel action between my XLR element.

All you will have to do is remove the two action screws and put the other barreled action in. Should be a 1-2 minute swap. If you keep scopes on both barreled actions then sighting the rifle back in will be minimal if any.

You will have to get different magazines for each of them too.

22Conch

FNG
Thanks XLR. I do have that part figured out.

I was basically wondering how much the POI shift would be by swapping them.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks XLR. I do have that part figured out.

I was basically wondering how much the POI shift would be by swapping them.

If you leave your scope attached you will see a minimal POI shift when taking barreled actions in and out. If you are swapping the scope from one barreled action to another then it all depends on how straight the barrel is on the action. On my chassis I am very meticulous about making sure there isn't anything between the action and the chassis so I can pull my barreled action to clean everything, put the same barreled action back in and you will be within .1 mil or (1/4-1/2) moa of zero. Most of the time I don't see a shift at all though.

kelly1

FNG
I have a Xlr 3.0 and a Stockys VG1 tikka ,both 308 and 300 wsm,
I don’t run a brake and find the VG1 nicer to shoot …but it doesn’t fold ,I would put a brake on ,but barrell isn’t threaded.

I swap out barreled actions all the time, no issues, very minimal POI.

I have an element 4.0. Only issue I have ran into is the folding stock freezes up really easy in the cold/wet/snow. Either freezer shut or you can’t get it to lock back into position. I would assume all metal folding stocks have this issue.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I swap out barreled actions all the time, no issues, very minimal POI.

I have an element 4.0. Only issue I have ran into is the folding stock freezes up really easy in the cold/wet/snow. Either freezer shut or you can’t get it to lock back into position. I would assume all metal folding stocks have this issue.
Shoot us a PM and ill bet you can make a small adjustment to the folder and it will solve that problem!