Xmid 1 or 2 mainly will be used for solo hunting

Sammymusi

WKR
Anyone running the xmid 2 p for spike tent ? I had the 1p a few years back and just felt crammed in there. Was considering the 2 but after discussing with Dan I’m not sure now !

OP
S

Sammymusi

WKR
Note this will be for myself and my gear..( I like having everything in with me for access rather than in the vestibules) sept Idaho elk hunt

Afhunter1

WKR
I normally use a BA Copper Spur UL2 but I bought the Durston xmid2 for more room and less weight to use solo archery elk hunting and I like it better. I didn't get rid of my BA yet though. I haven't spent time hunting in the Durston yet, maybe this year.

Bearsears

WKR
I was seriously considering a Xmid 1 or 2. Ultimately Ive decided to stick with a DST tarp and bivy for archery. Faster in good weather and super versatile having a tarp. I think the Xmids are awesome though.

OP
S

Sammymusi

WKR
I had the argali rincon in Wyoming it was nice just not for me, I don’t camp enough to mess with how to get rid of all the condensation. So this year for Idaho and when I’m out west I wanna just stick with this xmid I think.

2P is not a bad option. Doesn’t cost much more. Adds a half pound and some people note that it needs a pretty big site to set up.

If you are thinking about spending extra $$$ for dcf, the newish 1.5 person tent from zpacks has my attention.

dapesche

WKR
On a goat Hunt. Used solo. I really liked it.

Will use it solo again. This was late Oct I think. Possibly even into Nov.

I wouldn't use this tent on a late season sheep hunt when I am 12hrs away from safety.

I really like the space inside. I prefer having my backpack in the vestibule and a bunch of shit scattered around my pad and bag inside the tent.

I have those durston carbon poles and it still weighs next to nothing. Tossed it in a 12litre'ish dry bag and you can pancake it and put in your bag if you want.

The only thing I'd consider as competition would be the kuiu mtn star. I have the storm star for late season and like the build quality and set up. I have had a number of guides recommend the mtn star as well.

I had a copper spur 2 and sold it right away. Just felt a little too light duty.
59a4e5045e0fed2623cc47cefafe9aa7.jpg

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
c824aa5852c466d4ad753e76c2d9c76e.jpg

Hunting partner and I purchased 1P last summer. Ran in scouting, deer and elk. Worked flawlessly, I’m 6’1 & 245# and was tickled with amount of room in nest and distance to wall. The double vestibule is awesome for all my gear!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

Sammymusi

WKR
c824aa5852c466d4ad753e76c2d9c76e.jpg

Hunting partner and I purchased 1P last summer. Ran in scouting, deer and elk. Worked flawlessly, I’m 6’1 & 245# and was tickled with amount of room in nest and distance to wall. The double vestibule is awesome for all my gear!

Awesome and I’m assuming this is the updated 1p version ? I had the older version and felt like all I could do is put my sleeping pad in there and nothing else.

swampfox

FNG
I have no experience with the 1p but the 2p has so much room it’s probably worth the small weight penalty. As others have said the main drawback is the tent has a pretty big footprint but I don’t think it’s a huge issue. We were able to sleep 3 people and gear pretty comfortably in the fly-only/tarp mode of a 2p this year, so it’s pretty versatile. I bet you could sleep 4 under the tarp but it would be tight.

gostovp

WKR
I’m debating this exact same thing
Did you compare the Xmid to the TarpTent StratoSpire at all?

OP
S

Sammymusi

WKR
I’m debating this exact same thing
Did you compare the Xmid to the TarpTent StratoSpire at all?
I didn’t , I had history with the original durston and it was awesome so that’s why I’m gonna go with the xmid 2

bard

Lil-Rokslider
Sheep partner and I both went with a 2p solid. Love it. put it through the ringer last year. Not having to tarp all my gear outside with a 1 man tent and able to spread my pack and wet gear out inside is worth going to a 2 man. tough finding enough wood to make tent poles on this plateau when I had my poles with me for the day.

tent sunrise.jpg

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
Let us know what you think of the room once you get a few nights in it. I bought the 1 and have only used it a few nights without the inner. It was plenty big for me and a pack.

OP
S

Sammymusi

WKR
I’ll be using the inner too when I use it. If I do use this summer I’ll let you know but it’ll be pretty much for elk spike in September