Yellowstone and Grand Teton Training hikes

Will be in Yellowstone and Grand Teton next week and want to do a shakedown on all my gear and get some training in as well. Most likely will just do an overnight once during the week. I'll have my wife, my 12 year old and his friend with us along with another couple. The other couple are experienced hikers and have done some backpacking but aren't hunters.

My wife and the kids are not....experienced...or hunters...yet.

Anyone have a take on some good backcountry hikes/routes in either park? I plan on carrying most of the gear and food just to get the weight up. All they have to carry is water, pad bag and some food, so their loads will be light.

Any tips for either park as well? I have been there multiple times, but many years ago.

Paintbrush canyon / Cascade canyon loop in Grand Teton is a good one, but might be a bit much for 1 night.

We did the Sleeping Indian (Sheep Mountain) Hike a few weeks ago and thought it was pretty nice. Its not in either park, but has awesome views of the Tetons. Trail is pretty good, I think its like 8 miles to the top?

Paintbrush canyon / Cascade canyon loop in Grand Teton is a good one, but might be a bit much for 1 night.

This can certainly be done as an overnighter, but for folks coming form OK, several of which will be inexperienced, I think it's asking a lot, not to mention that paintbrush divide may still be impassable (have to contact the rangers to find out).

I would look at hikes starting from the Island Lake trailhead in the Beartooths (between Cooke City and Red Lodge Montana). Go in as far as you want (bechler lake would be a great out and back). Mosquitos will likely be an issue and snow could be possible, so keep all that in mind, fishing should be great. If you're set on the tetons or yellowstone, Death Canyon is good, but there's not a ton of camping down below the shelf. Cascade or Paintbrush Canyon could both be great out and backs (Holly Lake in Paintbrush). In Yellowstone, a hike into Slough Creek to the second or third meadow would offer great fishing. You'll need permits in both the Tetons and Yellowstone, but the Beartooths you'll be free to go wherever whenever you want.

Thanks for the info guys. Paintbrush/Cascade looks phenomenal...just dont know if the others can handle it.

Scenery looks great.

Sleeping indian looks good too.

Yellowstone is generally flatter and gentler than the Tetons, though just about everything is 6k or above, so pay attention to that. This time of year bugs could be an issue just about anywhere.

I'd suggest an out and back into the Lamar River. Great scenery, probable bison and elk sightings, great fishing, nice campsites, and fairly easy walking. It's often a bit breezy along the river meadows which can help keep the skeeters at bay.

Thanks DaveC. Will look at that one too. My buddy is liking the looks of paintbrush/Cascade. I am not necessarily worried about the kids, but the wife may struggle with the climbing...and the altitude.

It's a great walk, but has pretty much no flat. The descent is pretty rocky as well; the climb isn't the only hard part.

You'll need a backcountry camping permit for Yellowstone. I would focus on a river or lake destination that way you could get some fishing in. Too many good places to list, but here is a good resource for you.

http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/backcountryhiking.htm

Thinking about stopping for a night on my way back from Mystic/Island Lake in about a month. Is Yellowstone like RMNP where all the permits are booked almost a year in advance or will we be able to pick something up at the gate?

Thinking about stopping for a night on my way back from Mystic/Island Lake in about a month. Is Yellowstone like RMNP where all the permits are booked almost a year in advance or will we be able to pick something up at the gate?

You can reserve the backcountry sites in advance or it is possible to get them the same day. It probably depends on how popular the site is.

Thanks DaveC. Will look at that one too. My buddy is liking the looks of paintbrush/Cascade. I am not necessarily worried about the kids, but the wife may struggle with the climbing...and the altitude.

I didn't look at your travel dates when I posted. Check with the Park Service on snow conditions on Paintbrush divide. It's often snow covered until late July.

Yellowstone gets much less backpacking traffic than parks like Rocky Mtn and Yosemite. You should be able to get something decent walk-in just about any time of year. August is busiest.

The bugs ate me alive when the wife and I was out there 10 days ago. Take some spray or something. I had mosquito's land on me that were big enough to stand flat footed and breed a turkey gobbler! Still have bite marks on me... Enjoy!

To jump on this thread, I'll be taking my teenage kids to Yellowstone and the Tetons next month. I'm not going to be doing any overnights with them but was wondering if anyone could suggest some shorter hikes for them.

To jump on this thread, I'll be taking my teenage kids to Yellowstone and the Tetons next month. I'm not going to be doing any overnights with them but was wondering if anyone could suggest some shorter hikes for them.

Depending on conditioning, Avalanche Peak in Yellowstone is great. Mount Washburn is good as well, but can be crowded. Hiking as far as you desire into Slough Creek isn't too bad and going as far as you can on the Specimen Ridge trail is a good one as well (lots of elk sheds and dead heads 5 or so miles in). For the tetons, Hiking up to Lake Solitude up Cascade Canyon is long but scenic, or going up to Holly Lake in Paintbrush Canyon could be great as well. You can also take the tram for roughly $20/person at the Jackson ski resort up and then hike back down from the top for a downhill trip through Death Canyon.

Back