You ever skip a year of hunting to do something else?

JWP58

WKR
Yes. Our twins were born early. My hunting season was spent taking care of them. Hunting isn't everything.

handwerk

WKR
I've been hunting every year since I was 12, (40 years) went out west the last 28 years in a row, had three kids. married right I guess...( hint the kids all hunt )

I have had years where I couldn't afford to hunt. I have noticed that big game hunts usually take up the most time and cost the most.

If you are considering skipping hunting because of cost you can always spend a day here or there hunting small game for significantly less money.

I skipped year back in 1985 while I was becoming a resident. Have hunted some sort of big game every year since.

ClearCreek

ChrisA

WKR
I don't recall missing a hunting season but I did struggle a couple years with whether to focus on trapping or bowhunting. Eventually bowhunting won.

Chris

I like fishing just as much as hunting. In 2015 I got my mind set on catching at least one brown trout over 10 lbs (might not sound like a big brown depending on where you call home, but here its a giant). Fishing was really good thar year, and I got hooked on night fishing as well. Ended up skipping archery season and caught 5 browns over 10#, including one that went almost 14# that September. Got it out of my system I guess, looking back I can't believe I skipped velvet mulies for fish. Or elk for that matter.

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
Took time off and sold all my archery equipment to pay for wife’s cancer got to gun hunt 2 weekends that year but that’s as close as Iv ever come to completely missing a hunting season.

Rich M

WKR
Holy cow! You plan on buying the boat when you go fishing in Alaska?

I'm very open to suggestions on planning the trip - you're in a very diff position than I. I'm down near Disney World. Opposite side of the world. Another expensive vacation tho.

Last time I looked was about $8,000 for 2 weeks, included the inside passage cruise up, the various sight seeing stuff, and some fishing inshore and off. Then I started trimming and felt like I was cutting myself short. Decided to wait til there was more money.

locofife

FNG
I skipped 2 years when I was a missionary for my church. Also missed out a few times for school, gaining residency and just living in a place where the opportunities available didn't make it easy to go. Not planning on missing any more, but with the way my life is I imagine it will happen eventually.

RLK3

FNG
I have access to decent hunting in Texas that fills in when I don't have the time off to head west. Usually try to hunt mule deer every other year out west.

I would take that trip, sounds amazing! I have never missed a season all together, but I have chosen to do other things during the fall instead of hitting the woods. We get very generous seasons here, so I am not forced to choose hunting over my family or other passions. I enjoy many different things, hunting happens to be one of them. Others dedicate their life to one passion, which is why they would not understand passing on hunting to pursue a bucket list motorcycle trip.

I'm very open to suggestions on planning the trip - you're in a very diff position than I. I'm down near Disney World. Opposite side of the world. Another expensive vacation tho.

Last time I looked was about $8,000 for 2 weeks, included the inside passage cruise up, the various sight seeing stuff, and some fishing inshore and off. Then I started trimming and felt like I was cutting myself short. Decided to wait til there was more money.

That’s crazy money man.

If I was a guy i’d Catch a flight with a pack, rifle and rod and have a hell time for 2 weeks and shoot a couple animals, catch a ton of fish and be all in for 2500$

Heading to the Arctic for 2 weeks in July. Be lucky if I spend a grand.

Last year me and pops went 2 weeks, spent 2,000 for the both of us.
01766A96-F6C1-46B7-8FD1-080AB5881ADA.jpeg7AF7FC5C-4C5A-4F09-AA8B-E3190F213FDB.jpeg

Only time I missed a season was because of Uncle Sam. I have given up hunting out of state for a year to do other things. But, unless some health/family issue keeps me out of the woods, I will not miss a hunting season. I have deer, bear, turkey, hogs and plenty of small game to hunt within a short drive of my house.

Fatcamp

WKR
That’s crazy money man.

If I was a guy i’d Catch a flight with a pack, rifle and rod and have a hell time for 2 weeks and shoot a couple animals, catch a ton of fish and be all in for 2500$

Heading to the Arctic for 2 weeks in July. Be lucky if I spend a grand.

Last year me and pops went 2 weeks, spent 2,000 for the both of us.
View attachment 100130View attachment 100131

I would be very interested in some specifics on this if you would care to share.

Details are on ur end, but get an Alaska. Airlines card. Spend the required amount... get a free flight the next year.. do a hunt where black bears and deer exist..with s salmon stream close.. within 500$ bushplane of an Alaskan airlines serviced airport.. rock on!