Youngish Buck

I got a young buck last year. Maybe 2-3 years old. The chop meat is soooo fatty it's crazy. There is no added fat, just natural fat from the buck.

Are male Caribou known to be fatty ?
My Bull Elk is very very lean. Like night & day compared to this Caribou. The fat is so bad, I have to drain it off when cooking meat sauce or chile.

Anyone really familiar with Caribou meat ??

Geewhiz

WKR
Sounds like you never graduated 6th grade.
I assume he was rudely commenting on the fact that a male caribou would be referred to as a bull, as opposed to a buck.

Sorry, don't have any experience with caribou, but hope to one day.

When were both harvested in relation to their respective ruts?
Bulls of both species burn off a lot if not all their fat reserves while chasing the ladies.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
caribou is one of the leanest meat you'll taste. There is virtually no fat marbling within the meat cut, only what fat the animal has on the skeletal frame. But, after processing it'll have whatever the butcher added for fat (7-15%)

I lived in Alaska for a few years and didn't eat a ton of caribou but what I did was always very lean and cooked slowly.

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
Pulled a 5 year old mule deer this year, was very excited to try it but it was impossible to not notice the stank of sage/pepper/spice. Ate 3 chunks off it while it hung and quickly and knew he was meant for the grinder. I trimmed ANYTHING remotely white off the meat, that’s your first step for any steaks/roasts. Processing is your second step.I put 95% into processing and I haven’t taken a deer into the sausage place since I started taking white-tail off farms. Several years ago. Just can’t muscle through that taste.