A dog, an elk, a couple antelope, and some birds. Part 2 of 3.

Tod osier

WKR
Part 2 of three: Antelope.

This is my travel log from my trip earlier this fall going for elk, antelope and upland birds.

Part 1: Elk

In between hunts I almost took a game animal that I didn't have a tag for - with the truck! Young mule deer buck racing at top speed to cross the road didn't quite make it across. I looked and couldn't find him.
Teof0c3.jpg

Antelope camp, made camp just into the trees for comfort.
ORn1AvS.jpg

One camp where I spent a lot of time had a pine that was dripping a lot of pitch. Goes to show not to wear your best crocs as camp shoes.
DUQX35u.jpg

Navigation system. I used the iPad with onX maps, worked real good. Did a lot of driving antelope hunting and sage grouse hunting. Good co pilot helps too.
rpcw7V4.jpg

Sunset at antelope camp.
eSuW8EL.jpg

Sunrise from antelope camp.
ikzScLW.jpg

Rainbow from antelope camp.
D1Pcn0P.jpg

Hail storm that put down 2" of small hail then it rained and rained. Not too much gumbo in this area, but there is some that I found. Kind of a wild ride trying to get back to camp.
ECi6lKF.jpg

Beaver likes to stay close when glassing (the whole Velcro dog thing).
YSjBusL.jpg

Looked over a lot of bucks, probably in the neighborhood of 150 before I was done with both tags.
In4RGIP.jpg

The buck I decided to go for at 500 yards digiscoped. He was at 500 for a couple hours in a strong wind, I couldn't stalk closer with Beaver, the only option would have been to go back and around and pop up from a dip at 120 yards, which I didn't think I could do with enough stealth given the number of eyes.
m5iRwTd.jpg

He and a buddy moved to 375 yards just before dark and the wind dropped to zero, making for a straightforward shot. Broke him down in the dark. I was only a mile from the truck, but that was a rough pack out with a whole antelope and getting turned around / off course several times.
fDxiHQo.jpg

Antelope euro mount at home.
n3qdspo.jpg

Meat tree to get the meat cooled after the kill. I hung meat outside at night and put it in the chest freezer during the day chilled a little with the generator. It would have been fine outside, but this way it didn't get flies on it.
QDryRxN.jpg

Doe tag filled. It took 2 days, even though there were a lot of antelope around. I just couldn't get the shot I wanted on day one. On day 2 I had a half a dozen opportunities before 9 am, including while I was breaking down this animal.
MEFLcoH.jpg

Found this broken arrowhead packing meat back to the truck. I'd like to think someone was successful on this same hill before and that was how it broke.
An0oWzU.jpg

Antelope fajitas.
CPUNWFT.jpg

Seared antelope heart with a wine reduction. Pretty fancy camp cooking.
UfLAQzU.jpg

One bull elk and a buck antelope boned out in the deep freeze in the camper.
rWdEvFX.jpg

Camper freezer stuffed with doe antelope and an elk tongue.
4HJohf1.jpg

Tags filled, on to bird hunting!

Part 3 of three: Birds.

Last edited:

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
That had to have been an awesome trip. Good looking co-pilot you got there. Thanks for sharing!