Your elk goals 2022?

First-timer from Missouri headed to CO for archery. My goals are to learn as much as I can, enjoy being in the mountains, and hopefully have an elk encounter or two.

AllDayAT

FNG
My biggest goal is to simply see an elk and get within 80 yards of one. This will be my first elk hunt and over the last 12 months I have scoured every resource I know (University of Elk Hunting, Treeline Academy, Youtube, etc.) to learn as much as I can, spending well over 200 hours. It would be great to prove to myself that all that learning wasn't for nothing.

Mojave

WKR
To buy points for next year so I can draw a cow tag in Wyoming.

I have enough points to draw a bull tag in Arizona next year.

My other elk states, I am in no-man's land.

400orBust

FNG
Good luck to everyone. I like the list of goals. Very realistic. 400orBust I don’t know why a guy would solo camp 8-12 miles in but if that’s part of what makes you happy then go for it and best of luck to you. Be safe!
Because that is my current honey hole! Thanks for the safe wishes, if I don't show up again on rokslide post-season, well...ya'll stay closer to the road!

ndforbes

FNG
Adding another set of antlers to the pile in the shed would be nice, but a full freezer is my main objective in archery season.

Rifle season is all about getting my 12 year old nephew out on his first hunt and seeing the look on his face the first time we get into some animals.

My biggest goal is to simply see an elk and get within 80 yards of one. This will be my first elk hunt and over the last 12 months I have scoured every resource I know (University of Elk Hunting, Treeline Academy, Youtube, etc.) to learn as much as I can, spending well over 200 hours. It would be great to prove to myself that all that learning wasn't for nothing.
Just remember… you can only learn so much online. And those online lessons pertain to where that person hunted. Everywhere is different. The actual learning doesn’t start until you’re there.

S.Clancy

WKR
I have 2 goals:

1) Help my brother kill his first elk with a bow. He's shot a lot with a rifle, but never with the bow. We each have 2 elk tags, so whatever walks in front of him first is in trouble.

2) Shoot a true giant. I've killed a couple bulls in the 300-335/340 range with rifle and archery gear. I stabbed a giant bull 2 years ago that survived. So finding and killing one in that true 360+ class would be a dream come true.

Goal, get my first bull. Have hunted elk several years with cow tags in Wyoming. Messed up on a shot at a bull during muzzleloader last year in Colorado. This year's the year!

My goal is to shoot my first elk. This will be my third archery season and in a general unit. Lots of close encounters the first two seasons but always one small detail away from success. I’ve done all I can to prepare and can’t wait!
All of those close encounters are money in the bank, there is a lot to take away from any close encounter, they all make you better if you are paying attention to the little details, the little details in accumulation is how you start consistently killing elk (or any critters for that matter)

Good luck, keep a good attitude, an almost delusional optimism is one hell of a character trait elk hunting, never get discouraged, never get lazy, and know how fast you can go from a dead week in the woods to a big ol dead bull you’re standing over… it’s almost instantaneous some years, but you have to be there putting in steady effort

Ive been archery elk hunting for over 10 years and have yet to kill my first bull. That's always the goal, get my first. That monkey on my back gets heavier and more daunting every year.

8 days solo in North Central Idaho.
Lots of straight up killers took several years to kill one, you have the determination, and desire, that’s a big deal… that first one (for most of us) is the hardest to kill, it gets way easier after that… I am rooting for you, I hope this year is the ice breaker, you deserve one as much as anyone I know of… keep that irrational optimism and take no shortcuts, and a lot of it is stupid simple perspective… when you get discouraged, remind yourself how much you look forward to chasing elk every year, and if you were not in the woods you would be wishing you were… people are their own worst enemies often in the woods, I’m not excluding myself…

Keep the faith, trust your decisions, pay attention to the clues and keep grinding

Good luck, seriously hope to read the story of your first archery elk!