Your Favorite budget-ish fly rod

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
That Air is the nicest rod I’ve ever cast…a client had one and I knew he was a stick so I had rigged up a few Helios 3s for him. After casting that I saw why he didn’t use my H3s.
Curious how their new Helios will stack up. I guess a big selling point of an Orvis is you can get a new rod section within days if you break something. However, I haven't found anything i'd rather cast than a Winston.

wytx

WKR
Any local rod builders nearby?
I had a local guy build me one several years back.
I had a wide range of blanks and prices to choose from and surprisingly affordable customizations.
I ended up with a neat little 5wt for our small to medium streams at a nice price.

wyogoat

WKR
Curious how their new Helios will stack up. I guess a big selling point of an Orvis is you can get a new rod section within days if you break something. However, I haven't found anything i'd rather cast than a Winston.
I really like the H3 and we broke A LOT of them and the warranty is awesome. A little slow sometimes but effortless.
That Winston just has a different feel. I am not sure I can describe it. I fished all that season with H2 and H3 rods and own a Loomis GLX and a Sage X and there’s just something different about that Air. Maybe that’s what the extra 300 gets you. And to be honest I didn’t want to like that rod…

And to answer your question better and to not derail any further; the Orvis warranty was faster than I saw from Sage and from Loomis. Not knocking either because they were all easy but that section always showed up a little faster from Orvis than the replacement rod did from the other two brands I saw broken.

mstei4

Lil-Rokslider
Any local rod builders nearby?
I had a local guy build me one several years back.
I had a wide range of blanks and prices to choose from and surprisingly affordable customizations.
I ended up with a neat little 5wt for our small to medium streams at a nice price.

This is what I did and wouldn’t change a thing. Local guy built a fiberglass rod I love, really can’t imagine a significantly better rod for the smaller streams I fish, and for ~$200 it’s hard to beat the price

IdahoBeav

WKR
The Lamson Guru is a great rod. My Redington Butter Stix rides on hikes with me because I can afford to break it. A few years ago I bought a Winston Air 9' 5wt and a Galvan reel and it flat ruined me on cheaper rods. The quality and the pleasure it is to cast this is phenomenal.
I have the 9' Air II 4 wt paired with a Galvan T-4, awesome combo. However, I am more impressed with an Air I 9.5' 6 wt that I got at a killer deal once it was discontinued. That thing is the ultimate rod for terrestrials.

Ya gotta love fly fisherman, on a thread for budget fly rod recommendations, it's only a page or two before Winston, Helios, Scott, etc. are mentioned, lol.

wyogoat

WKR
I have the 9' Air II 4 wt paired with a Galvan T-4, awesome combo. However, I am more impressed with an Air I 9.5' 6 wt that I got at a killer deal once it was discontinued. That thing is the ultimate rod for terrestrials.

Ya gotta love fly fisherman, on a thread for budget fly rod recommendations, it's only a page or two before Winston, Helios, Scott, etc. are mentioned, lol.
Hey we did as asked for a page at least right? I’m proud that only one of us posted trophy pics so far…

I have a 9’ 5 wt beast St Croix I use on the San Juan. I hate the thing but it has caught a ton of fish with it. I like my little reddington 7’6” 3 wt for all my little stream fishing and backcountry. My brother made it for me a long time ago. I also like TFO a lot

UncleBone

WKR
Surprised no one has yet mentioned the Fenwick Aetos. Best rod you can buy for around $200. I have caught thousands of trout on an aetos with a lamson guru reel. The fenwick punches way above its weight class, warranty is awesome, and the overall performance is top notch. I am usually against chinese made stuff, but bought my first one years ago when I was broke and desperately needed a new rod. It is the only thing made in china that I would ever tell someone to buy.

fshaw

WKR
Fiberglass Fenwick that my father built from a blank when I was young. I fished with it at Upper Dam in Maine this past fall where Carrie Stevens made the Grey Ghost famous.

OP
Bachto

Bachto

WKR
Has anyone used the lamson liquid? It looks like they are all on sale? The guru seems to be the anonymous choice but it was a little more than I was wanting to spend on a reel. Might have the bite the bullet but looking at all options.

jhm2023

WKR
For a middle of the road setup, I'm a big fan of my St. Croix imperial 4wt with a Lamson Guru-s for trout and grayling. My wife uses a TFO pro II 4wt and I don't care for the feel of it as much. For salmon, I've been enjoying a Redington predator 9wt with a Lamson Guru-s.20230727_154436.jpg20230727_193747.jpg

Has anyone used the lamson liquid? It looks like they are all on sale? The guru seems to be the anonymous choice but it was a little more than I was wanting to spend on a reel. Might have the bite the bullet but looking at all options.
Great reel for the price, I own like 6 of them. Same drag as lamsons other reels, just in a cast frame. Lamsons customer service is great too.

JjamesIII

WKR
I am looking at upgrading fly rods this year. I currently have a 4Wt 2 piece TFO lefty Kreh that I really like. I want to get a 4 piece for packing easier on backcountry trips and was looking at going with a 8 1/2 or 9 since my current rod is an 8 foot.

I am looking pretty heavy at the TFO NXT or Signature 3.
I have also looked at the Redington Classic and the St. Croix Mojo.

Any others I should be looking at in the $150 - $250 ranger
I am looking at upgrading fly rods this year. I currently have a 4Wt 2 piece TFO lefty Kreh that I really like. I want to get a 4 piece for packing easier on backcountry trips and was looking at going with a 8 1/2 or 9 since my current rod is an 8 foot.

I am looking pretty heavy at the TFO NXT or Signature 3.
I have also looked at the Redington Classic and the St. Croix Mojo.

Any others I should be looking at in the $150 - $250 range?
Can’t go wrong with any of the tfo rods. I was going to say “for the money”, but honestly- you’re not making any concessions using one. I have the expensive rods, and a few tfo’s, there is zero advantage to spending more money on a rod having used both for years. They back you up with a lifetime warranty also.

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
I really like the H3 and we broke A LOT of them and the warranty is awesome. A little slow sometimes but effortless.
That Winston just has a different feel. I am not sure I can describe it. I fished all that season with H2 and H3 rods and own a Loomis GLX and a Sage X and there’s just something different about that Air. Maybe that’s what the extra 300 gets you. And to be honest I didn’t want to like that rod…

And to answer your question better and to not derail any further; the Orvis warranty was faster than I saw from Sage and from Loomis. Not knocking either because they were all easy but that section always showed up a little faster from Orvis than the replacement rod did from the other two brands I saw broken.
I had to warranty a Sage X at the beginning of the guide season last year and didn't get it back until 4 months later. At least they went back on their new pricing model

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
Redington Classic Trout rods are a great rod for the $, particularly if you like more of a medium action rod I also agree that the less expensive Lamson reels are a good value. I have a TFO Pro 4 piece 6 weight that has served me well for at least 20 years so can't help but like that one too. I had kids fishing with both so I have used the warranty replacement for both and been satisfied with it. Now that I think of it, there may not be any original pieces on the TFO. I love the old 2 piece higher end rods but 4 piece is certainly more practical for travel/backpacking.

cowdisciple

Lil-Rokslider
I'm unreasonably attached to Echo two handers for the fishing I do locally. Better to put more money into the reel. (these are hatchery fish, by the by).

Attachments

• 20230628_091435.jpg
    20230628_091435.jpg
    663.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

gerry35

WKR
I like Echo and St Croix rods and have had lots of success with them over the years. They have proven durable too which the higher dollar rods usually aren't. 4 piece rods are definitely the way to go.

Someone mentioned the Lamson Liquid earlier, I have used one for a few years now for salmon on my 8 weight Echo SR switch rod and I like it a lot. I'm sure it will be just as good in the trout size reels. Still use single hand rods for trout but for salmon finally made the switch to the Echo two hander. With the new lines you can spey cast single hand trout rods anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_20230820_194745309~2.jpg
    IMG_20230820_194745309~2.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 11

cowdisciple

Lil-Rokslider
The Sage spey reels are really great if you do a lot of spey casting. The full cage design keeps your running line from catching between the body of the reel and the spool.