Your favorite hunting knife?

Schrade Papa Bear lockback. Gift from my Dad. I've used it to field dress every deer I've taken since he passed.

@Trees91

Is the knife on the bear paw a kestrel with added scales?

Update, my apologies, i see its the hogue. I didn't read thorough enough. Lol

Trees91

WKR
@Trees91

Is the knife on the bear paw a kestrel with added scales?

Update, my apologies, i see its the hogue. I didn't read thorough enough. Lol
Yep it's a hogue. I think it's an over looked knife. I had never heard of it till I stumbled on a review here on Rokslide comparing it to the benchmade altitude. I really like it. Comes with a good kydex sheath and ulticlip plus a lightweight blade cover if you're really counting ounces. It's not horribly priced either and I've seen it on sale a few times.

Last edited:
One of the better designed is an old browning 3 blade big game but the steel is just not up to more modern steels. The gut blade is actually better than the swing blade mentioned many times on this thread.

Speaking of the swing blade, I prefer the EKA fish blade as it is more narrow to allow for a “butthole” cut but still with a nice narrow gut blade.

More often than not I am using a folding knife with a good shape for skinning along with the EKA fish blade. A couple most often used are Spyderco Stretch in HAP 40, cruwear, or K390. If I don’t think I will be able to clean in a timely fashion, Spydiechef.

For fixed blade, Cold steel master Hunter in 3V is a great size and shape. 3V not my favorite as it lacks the toothiness and bite of other steels.

Benchmade saddle mountain skinner in s90v fits this bill nicely. Benchmade flyway is nice for small game but it is fairly expensive for what it is.

For processing, Benchmade Meatcrafter is nice but I have leaned towards the tip design of the Bark River fin and bone knife. Green River Skinner or any victorinox/dexter do a fine job in this regard as well, just requiring touch ups more often

Robobiss

FNG
Big fan of just a havalon piranta, for the price and utility they really are hard to beat.

I also always have a benchmade in my pocket, as well as a leatherman in my bag. Between those three (and a couple replacement blades in the havalon case) I feel equipped for most any task. If fire is definitely on the menu I may throw in an ESEE fixed blade for batoning wood.

OMF

Lil-Rokslider
@Trees91,

Jumpin monkeys! You have some huge mitts. You need a manicure too. Nice knife though. I like Hogues - grips and knives. I especially like their EXO3 folder and the
Extrak fixed.

fshaw

WKR
It’s always interesting to me to see other hunter’s knife preferences. I like fixed blades and recently found a Dan Crotts Semi Skinner that I like a lot. If I’m looking for lightweight it’d probably be an Argali Serac. I do like knives.

Huntchic

FNG
Well after everything is said and done I purchased a new outdoor edge folding knife with 2 built in locking blades one knife blade and one gutting blade. Got it a few weeks before deer season.
lol. Used it on 1 deer I quartered and ended up using my little Buck 3” blade on 5 others. Honestly the old Buck knife i carry in my pocket worked every bit as good n I actually liked it better. The pretty outdoor edge stayed in my pack with game bags but had I needed to debone and pack out every deer I may have liked the Outdoor edge more. But to just gut and drag or to quarter the Buck knife perfect.

Lefjab10

FNG
They must be - 3 year backorder

They must be - 3 year backorder!
AG Russell typically has a fairly decent inventory of popular Dozier knives in stock. They order in advance and keep a rotating inventory. I have purchased several Doziers from them for myself and as a gift. They are great to deal with and, as for the knives themselves, agree with what has been said on this forum. They are great, functional knives. Ergonomics are great for me and they seem to stay sharp forever. I have never allowed one to get "really" dull and wouldn't look forward to bringing it back up to snuff given the 61-62 Rc hardness but I have found that if I run the blade about 20X per side across a leather strop with fine green compound after every use, it seems to maintain the factory edge.

Been using an orange Spyderco Delica for a couple decades now. Couldn’t tell you how many deer and other critters it’s been used to clean. I’ve got several other knives but the Delica has been my default for a long time.

1moaway

FNG
I've really liked my Benchmade Saddle Mountain Skinner as a fixed blade option. The S90V holds its edge really well.