Your go to Broadheads!?

Mind elaborating on the G5 deadmeat for elk? Curious to its durability, penetration, wound entry and exits, and blood trails. Shot distances and quartering angles if you don’t mind! Thanks
Durability’s great, I’ve had one break like a 1/8” piece off of the tip of one blade. The rest have looked almost new after passing though elk. The main reason I went expandables is because I’m color blind and can’t really see blood.
This one spun at like 43 yards and shot him through the front of his shoulder and almost buried it to the fletch Died less than 100 yards away. Did gutless and it was 1am when I quartered him so I didn’t open his chest up and find the head.
94EB7395-10C8-4196-AB2F-4BB3C8B9C224.jpeg

This one was 60 yards, arrow went all the way though and hung up in the skin on exit. He fell on it and shoved it back in. Perfect broadside, bull went about 40 yards and fell over like 30 feet from my hunting partner, no blood trail needed.

9FF84519-BEAA-435A-B0CD-EE31DB7A7691.jpeg
That’s the exit
0CE3CBC8-6881-41EF-95C1-247617A2BA09.jpeg

58 yards and he was like 80’ elevation below me on a super steep hillside. Clean though, The wife called this bull in. Great blood even though I had a high rib/lung entrance, it was pouring rain too, bull went about 70 yards.
BBFDE318-0326-4E30-9E50-8BCE369DE8E6.jpeg
The exit
6273E110-EA62-4EDD-AFB4-66970FDBCD37.jpeg
The head
EBB446DC-C610-4C38-A9DE-D27C78CC2EB6.jpeg

Here’s a head my son shot all the way through a 4 point mule deer. 28.5” draw, 45lbs and 400gr arrow. Most of the heads you can’t tell apart from new ones after taking them apart and cleaning them.
A3F134EF-0E53-4057-99A4-DB3D9D134D2F.jpeg
Broadside, the buck went less than 100 yards but was still hard to find in the deep sage. You can see the entrance in front of his quiver.
B407C4BC-C275-4AAA-850B-7E1783BCDCEF.jpeg

I don’t really take many hard quartering shots. My son took a shot on another 4 point buck last year and made a super hard quartering shot. It’s was poor shot placement and the arrow went in through the ribs and exited through right above his hip socket and stayed in the buck. He had to make a follow up shot but the buck didn’t go anywhere and the broadhead did its job. It was a good lesson for him on taking quartered shots. I’ve only taken two hard quartering shots, one with a fixed head on a buck and hit him in the ass when I was younger and I lost him. I also took a quartered toward shot on an antelope and put a rage Trypan through his shoulder blade and it came out in front of his rear quarter. I wouldn’t take a hard quartered shot in a bull. I’ve shot 3 bulls in the shoulder in my life and all three took off with my arrows. One with a sharp fixed head at under 20 yards, I do everything I can to avoid the shoulder on an elk.
The Trypan is another great elk head and is very durable. I’m switching to evolution heads this year because of the glue in option, i kept all of my dead meats though because they are great heads.

Last edited:
This has been a good read. I am increasing my draw weight and have to buy new arrows. Basically start from scratch.

I have some G5 Megameats and Grim Reaper mechanicals, but am hoping to tune my set up for fixed blades. I have some new QAD Exodus 125 swept blades and G5 Stryker V2’s. I’ve used the Montecs, but they’re pretty loud compared to the G5 Stryker V2 and Exodus.

Guess we will see what I end up with.

I have been a diehard 100 gr 3 blade Wacem broadhead guy for probably 15 years. Over the last 3 years tho, I started shooting gravedigger mechanical's with cut on contact tips. The blood trails have been the best I have ever seen. Flight true like a fixed blade except a huge and instant blood trail. I have not shot an elk with them yet, but am thinking this might be the year I give them a go.

This has been a good read. I am increasing my draw weight and have to buy new arrows. Basically start from scratch.

I have some G5 Megameats and Grim Reaper mechanicals, but am hoping to tune my set up for fixed blades. I have some new QAD Exodus 125 swept blades and G5 Stryker V2’s. I’ve used the Montecs, but they’re pretty loud compared to the G5 Stryker V2 and Exodus.

Guess we will see what I end up with.

I tune my bow with fixed heads but love mechanicals. I just shot the cold bow challenge with fixed heads. I still think the most important factor in penetration is great arrow flight and the most important in killing animals is shot placement. I just love the giant holes mechanicals make, it make after the shot so much less stressful than when I use to shoot fixed heads.

I’ve been using Magnus Buzzcuts in 125 for years. They shoot great at any range and put animals down quickly. Lots of good choices out there.

I like shooting the G5 montec's because they shoot same as my field points. The new Montec's, solid body, are noticeably quieter than the older version.

Sent from my nami using Tapatalk

I like shooting the G5 montec's because they shoot same as my field points. The new Montec's, solid body, are noticeably quieter than the older version.

Sent from my nami using Tapatalk
Oh nice. I haven’t tried the solids yet. I may pick some up.

I tune my bow with fixed heads but love mechanicals. I just shot the cold bow challenge with fixed heads. I still think the most important factor in penetration is great arrow flight and the most important in killing animals is shot placement. I just love the giant holes mechanicals make, it make after the shot so much less stressful than when I use to shoot fixed heads.
Agree on shot placement being crucial. And on mechanicals opening holes you could throw a baseball through. I will likely use one this year on something.

Actually, I carry both types of heads in my quiver. Last year was a couple Grim Reapers, couple Montecs and a judo. This year I have a 6 arrow quiver…..choices…..

Back