Your hunt setup

Had a setback with my go to bow, my Uukha Selengha limbs developed a crack. This is my second set of these and the first set cracked, sending a chunk into my cheek right below my eye.
Fool me once …now I’m done with those.

I think this is going to be my hunting set up. I have three other more expensive risers but I think I’m going with this cheap Bucktrails 19”, its nice. That riser is in between the weight of my light dryad, and my heavy Stalker Stickbow‘s.

Limbs are Nika N3 longs at 48#.
I looked into buying US made limbs, but I can’t wait 6 months and they are 3X the price.

From when I ordered the Nika limbs to receiving them, it took all of eight days. They scaled 57 pounds at my 30 5/8 inch draw with the bolts all the way in. I backed them off 2 1/2 turns to 53#.
IMG_0370.jpeg
pictured is my second group shooting between 20 and 30 yards and not really knowing my gap well yet- first group was way low. The bare shaft was shot at 20 yards and it flew perfect- a tad right but that was probably me. ( 31 1/4” trad only 300’s, 10.1 gpi, taw504g)

These are longbow Quiet, dead on the shot. They do not feel as fast as the Uukhas- but Im guessing- no chrono numbers to base that from. It could be that these are so smooth they just don’t feel as fast.

I need to spend more than this 20 minutes with these Nikas…. but I think this is going to be my hunting set up for the year. I would rate these very good limbs.

I had it all figured out, BLee hardcore cobra curve,550gr skylon instec’s, bingo. Flying/shooting great to 40. Now I’m thinking the carbon limbs don’t feel like I like. So the arrows shoot great out of my bicentennial, so I’ll go that route. But ooohhh….. maybe I’ll sell the hardcore and pick up a PMA. I loved my PMA …. Sigh.

Still figuring it out. Hunted last season with my Poison Dart 62" 47@28" LB, but got a new ILF setup JCA Optimus2.0 21" with 45# selengas, super quite and dead in hand, but just wasn't shooting it well, and a friend had a MI A&H 62" 50@28" ACS CX LB for sale. I really like this bow and tuning is coming along. hope to run Victory vap tko with 50 gn inoutsert, and 200 gn cutthroats, 4 x 2.25 shield cut wild turkey feathers around 574 gn total arrow weight, about 20% FOC.

I bought some W&W competition limbs for my ILF riser and got back to hunting with my Bob Lee Hardcore and Sauk Trail Custom Kenu. My next Sauk Trail custom recurve should be started in the next week or two. Mike is just waiting on a particular material he's looking to use in it. It will be a Dryden XR takedown and 47#@28. Mike makes some sweet bows.

Well, I said I wouldn't tinker but here I am with some Autumn Orange 2016s. My current bow is served for Bohning Classics so I haven't shot these much or tuned at all. I will probably try to kill a turkey and a deer with my woodies before I start shooting these in the field, but if I fill my buck tag I'll take these out after does.

Attachments

• autumnorange.jpg
    autumnorange.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 7
I looked at that Sauk Trail Bows website, they make some nice bows…but not much info and that website needs some work.

so you ordered a 52” bow…..thats a shorty

Last edited:
Here is my 52" Kenu. It shoots great and is definitely easy to carry around the woods. 1683719034467.jpeg1683719203223.jpeg
On the website you have to hover over "bow models" and the options appear. Also, the Sauk Trail Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/sauktrailarchery/) is a good thing to look at to see his current work.

Last edited:
Thats a beauty.
I’ve never found a lefty short Shrew style bow someone would let me shoot to try out.
With my long draw and 3 under, those might not work.

I clicked on his Bow Models….and nothing came up….ok, hover you say….

Still figuring it out. Hunted last season with my Poison Dart 62" 47@28" LB, but got a new ILF setup JCA Optimus2.0 21" with 45# selengas, super quite and dead in hand, but just wasn't shooting it well, and a friend had a MI A&H 62" 50@28" ACS CX LB for sale. I really like this bow and tuning is coming along. hope to run Victory vap tko with 50 gn inoutsert, and 200 gn cutthroats, 4 x 2.25 shield cut wild turkey feathers around 574 gn total arrow weight, about 20% FOC.

I have a Poison Dart coming in the next 2 weeks or so. Looking forward to it.

Right now I'm probably shooting a Satori w/ Uukha gobi's. 19" riser w/ long limbs for a 64" bow. Easton 6.5s, 50gr Brass, and 150gr Cutthroat 3 blades. I haven't done much hunting with the recurve but hope to this year. The poison dart may get hunted with too and I may also try one of the RMS gear risers that Tom is coming out with when they are available.

I thought switching to traditional archery was going to make things simpler...

I have a Poison Dart coming in the next 2 weeks or so. Looking forward to it.

Right now I'm probably shooting a Satori w/ Uukha gobi's. 19" riser w/ long limbs for a 64" bow. Easton 6.5s, 50gr Brass, and 150gr Cutthroat 3 blades. I haven't done much hunting with the recurve but hope to this year. The poison dart may get hunted with too and I may also try one of the RMS gear risers that Tom is coming out with when they are available.

I thought switching to traditional archery was going to make things simpler...
I haven’t heard about a new riser from RMS gear. Do you have any more information?

I haven’t heard about a new riser from RMS gear. Do you have any more information?

He mentioned it on a podcast (I THINK it was The Push from a month or two ago). Sounds like it's a new ILF riser that he was working on with South Cox and that he's looking to get it out at a reasonable price point by standardizing a few things and wood options.

This is probably how rumors get started... but if you have instagram there's a pic from one of his recent trips that I believe shows one... ;)

How they can compete with the Fleetwood, Buck Trails and a few of the other mass produced ILF risers that are $150 or under….I don’t know.
That bucktrails I have for $130 at Alt services is awesome.

I really don’t think they can. When Alt 1st started selling white feather larks I bought one, liked it so much I bought another one. Technically I still own them, but they’re loaned out to friends that wanted to try traditional, and I’m not sure I’ll get them back. Or my Bosen longbow limbs or black max limbs. Never had a single problem with LLA’s or anything. Great risers for what you pay.

IMG_7042.jpeg
Stalker coyote fxt. 48lb at 25 inches. Switched my arrow set up to 500 spine warriors with a 250 grain Iron will single bevel or vpa 250 grain 3 blade for this year. Total arrow weight is 500 grains.

I shot 9 critters last year with a 500-650 grain gold tip arrows. 204 trad classics or the 500 spine warriors. Even with my tiny 25 inch draw length I pretty much settled on 10 gpp or a 500 grain total weight arrow.

The vpa 3 blade and iron will penetrate like none other. The bow noise is the same at 500 grains as a 650 grain arrow but I get a tad more feedback on the riser, no big deal for the make up in speed and smaller gap.

I also have a stalker wolverine fxt recurve thats 43lb at 25 but I never shoot it anymore after getting south’s acs longbow limbs for my coyote. They are barnburners. Arrows clocked 168-170 fps with a 500 grain arrow at 25 inches. Hands down my favorite bow I’ve owned to date. If I order another it will be a 56 inch model to see if I can get some more speed and performance outta the shorter limbs on a 13 inch riser.

View attachment 553682
Stalker coyote fxt. 48lb at 25 inches. Switched my arrow set up to 500 spine warriors with a 250 grain Iron will single bevel or vpa 250 grain 3 blade for this year. Total arrow weight is 500 grains.

I shot 9 critters last year with a 500-650 grain gold tip arrows. 204 trad classics or the 500 spine warriors. Even with my tiny 25 inch draw length I pretty much settled on 10 gpp or a 500 grain total weight arrow.

The vpa 3 blade and iron will penetrate like none other. The bow noise is the same at 500 grains as a 650 grain arrow but I get a tad more feedback on the riser, no big deal for the make up in speed and smaller gap.

I also have a stalker wolverine fxt recurve thats 43lb at 25 but I never shoot it anymore after getting south’s acs longbow limbs for my coyote. They are barnburners. Arrows clocked 168-170 fps with a 500 grain arrow at 25 inches. Hands down my favorite bow I’ve owned to date. If I order another it will be a 56 inch model to see if I can get some more speed and performance outta the shorter limbs on a 13 inch riser.
I have a dryad Orion bolt down, 15” riser with medium carbon/glass ACS LIMBS… 49#@28, im drawing to 27.5”, it’s shoots very well for me…I crono’d it at 166 fps with 11gpp…this is a 58” bow. It begins to stack right at 28” DL. When the bow is trying it is a D shape…

This is an older, pre-South model, side by side, strung up, they don’t look the same, risers do for most part, but limb profile is very different…

I’ll be hunting with it or my black wolf, I also have a new Fox Breed that should be here in a few weeks

WF19 / Nika N3 44# 68" / Chad custom string / 29 1/2 " Black Eagles with 210 on the nose / Great Northern quiv / AAE cordovan elite tab size L / Selway stringer / N3 48# backup limbs / back up string / R Jenkin Safari Tuff Tab as back up / 5 shot S&W 2 3/4 " mdl 69 Combat Mag on chest rigg ....... Off Grid backcountry knife / Skeletool / Depending on snow / ice type Tubbs 36" Mountaineers or 30" Northern Lite BackCountry / Peax backcounty Elite stixs and Peax gaiters ..... Enough for now """""

Back