Your hunt setup

Bear 50th A riser… custom #1 limbs made by a friend… 55# @27”
Axis 340 with a custom steel insert/broadhead adapter with a slotted Stos 160 grain broadhead w/old school Magnus bleeder blade…

GLB

WKR
This 56” Bivouac Recurve will start the season. It’s 51# at my draw. Arrows Axis Trad 500 with 250 up front. Broadheads 150 VPAs 3 blades and 150 RMS Gear 2 blades. Total weight 530 grn, probably going about 375fps😝

PO distance 31 yards, using the arrow shelf will put me on at 40 yards if I need it to do a follow up shot.

Attachments

• IMG_3385.jpeg
    IMG_3385.jpeg
    470 KB · Views: 25
When I started this I said I wasn't going to dink around....Ha

Most of my delay was due to broken limbs and risers.....but for the last month or so I have settled on "The One"

Pictured below; 19" Dryad riser with modded grip [to match the 2 broken riser grips that I really liked] Long Uukha Selenghas which are 51#-52# at my DL, 31 3/8" Accmos 340s with 125g 2 blades, 435g TAW
Dead silent on the shot....smooth with almost no stack.

This is about my avg group- not great but all kills- one arrow each from 15-35y [ its essentially marked yardage as its in my backyard] I can actually keep the groups a little tighter at my PO which is 42y with this bow.
View attachment 592163
Dryad with Selenghas

My backup will be a Junxing F261 19" riser, Nika long limbs at 54#- same arrow. That bow has a little more weight on the fingers at FD.

Should be only 2-3 more setup changes before season starts at this point ;)

baeloth

FNG
Teaser of the risers from stalker today.

Got to shoot Tom’s in Denver last week. Will definitely grab one when available!

View attachment 587590
One of the guys at our range got one, I think it might have been a prototype, or first production, but Tom sold it to him. He has some 55lb uukahs on it. pretty sweet riser.

Tilzbow

WKR
I’ve got two Habu Vyperkahn triple carbon longbows that I shoot and hunt with. Both have 50# limbs at my 31” draw, one was purchased in 2009 and the other in 2014. The older bow also has a set of 58# limbs that I rarely shoot anymore. I shoot 9 GPP from each bow but the older Habu’s string is served to accept nocks on my wood arrows while the newer one is served for the nocks on the carbon arrows I shoot. I’ve also got three other nice custom bows that rarely get shot but two shoot within 5 FPS as the Habus, while the third is a 30 year 72# Stotler recurve that rattles the fillings in my teeth so it’s an art piece in my bow display case. I’ve bought and sold 4-5 other traditional bows over the past 30 years.

Anyway, both Habu bows shoot identical and are the only traditional bows I’ve hunted with since 2009.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
This 56” Bivouac Recurve will start the season. It’s 51# at my draw. Arrows Axis Trad 500 with 250 up front. Broadheads 150 VPAs 3 blades and 150 RMS Gear 2 blades. Total weight 530 grn, probably going about 375fps😝

PO distance 31 yards, using the arrow shelf will put me on at 40 yards if I need it to do a follow up shot.
I’ve gotten rid of all my other bows except my backland. I’ve got it set up with 62” longbow limbs at 57lbs. It shoots my 700g arrows really well and feels great to me.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
I’ve got two Habu Vyperkahn triple carbon longbows that I shoot and hunt with. Both have 50# limbs at my 31” draw, one was purchased in 2009 and the other in 2024. The older bow also has a set of 58# limbs that I rarely shoot anymore. I shoot 9 GPP from each bow but the older Habu’s string is served to accept nocks on my wood arrows while the newer one is served for the nocks on the carbon arrows I shoot. I’ve also got three other nice custom bows that rarely get shot but two shoot within 5 FPS as the Habus, while the third is a 30 year 72# Stotler recurve that rattles the fillings in my teeth so it’s an art piece in my bow display case. I’ve bought and sold 4-5 other traditional bows over the past 30 years.

Anyway, both Habu bows shoot identical and are the only traditional bows I’ve hunted with since 2009.
Those Habu’s are cool….photos Por favor

tater

WKR
Five days to opener, and the Black Canyon t/d LB gets the start.
62" and about 63# at my DL. Shooting 400 GT Trads and three blade VPA's.

The old Morrison Shawnee LB has been treating me well this year, so that will be the back-up.

Best of luck to all of my fellow single string degens.

Sapcut

WKR
Five days to opener, and the Black Canyon t/d LB gets the start.
62" and about 63# at my DL. Shooting 400 GT Trads and three blade VPA's.

The old Morrison Shawnee LB has been treating me well this year, so that will be the back-up.

Best of luck to all of my fellow single string degens.
Good to see a rather stout draw weight of your weapon. Getting a bit rare these days.

I finally ordered some 400’s with 50 up front and 150 BH for my 49-51 pounders. It’s still 100 degrees in Florida. I shoot my 54 lb stalker for my bear trip in sept.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tater

WKR
Good to see a rather stout draw weight of your weapon. Getting a bit rare these days.
My longbows range from 63-77# at my DL.
I was lucky to have been taught proper draw technique and form when i was a kid and have never had an issue with my shoulders or elbows. I get a little tired of being lectured on "the dangers of heavy bows" by archers who weren't alive when i started in traditional archery.

I shoot a minimum of four days a week all year around, and just simply enjoy shooting heavier weight bows. I worked my way up to those weights over a span of many years, and am able to sit comfortably at full draw with nice back tension for a ten count.

If others are unable to put in the time to build up to heavier weights and can still be effective with lighter bows, who am i to judge?