Your preferred .308 brand/load for the range or hunt?

Ever since I got my first precision rifle, Federal Gold Medal Sierra Match King in 168gr has been my go to load. I haven't shot a hunting load but when I get around to it I'm curious about the Federal Fusion 165gr

def90

WKR
Buy a box of every brand and bullet type/weight you can afford and see what your rifle likes best. Yes, you will see a difference between them all and it won't be the same from rifle to rifle.

LightFoot

WKR
I like Hornady’s Precision Hunter 178 ELDX for hunting. I think it’s the best all-around factory load. I’ve had good success with 150 and 165 mono-metal in the 308 Win, but I don’t think copper bullets are optimal for extended ranges. I’ve also had good experiences with Norma’s 150 soft points load.

All that said, your gun will pick your load by showing you what shoots best.

>>>——JAKE——>

mi650

WKR
Buy a box of every brand and bullet type/weight you can afford and see what your rifle likes best. Yes, you will see a difference between them all and it won't be the same from rifle to rifle.
This.

For my average shot on a deer, it's so close it really doesn't matter. I use Win. Ballistic Silvertips, 168 gr., and have had good results.

nobody

WKR
When I had a 308 (less than a year of total ownership admittedly, just didn’t tickle my fancy), my go to was the 168 grain Hornady Amax black. Shot well, and there’s plenty of data out there regarding the Amax’s performance on game. I’ve still got several hundred rounds in case I ever get the itch for another 308. That’s the direction I would go.

OP
TheCanadianOne
factory federal 168gr Berger hybrid hunters have shot great in every 308 I’ve shot and the wreck animals
That was one I saw but wasn't sure if it was meant for bigger game than a whitetail. I've also looked at the Hornady Superformance SST 150gr once but have still been researching.

I would modify what def90 said to buy the one you would like to shoot first before buying a bunch. You can’t take them back though you might could sell them. You may get lucky and your first choice is perfect for your rifle. If it’s not move on to number 2.

Sandstrom

WKR
I second the federal premium 308 Berger hybrid Hunters. They work!! Antelope out to 565 and F class matches and league at 600 yards for me.
Ryan

bnsafe

WKR
I dont have much history with anything else, but I love my nosler ballistic tips 165 for deer size stuff and accubond for elk size stuff. The ballistics on the boxes are the exact same and my rifle likes both so I dont have to move my scope around.