Your preferred string material

Tilzbow

WKR
Which string material do you prefer and why?

I've been using Winners Choice X8190 Extreme for a couple of years and it seems fine but I'm particularly interested in hearing about the new BCY-X being used on the new Hoyt's.

With a sheep hunt looming in 7 months abrasion resistance is very important to me but the string and cables must also stay in tune, too.

What say you?

OP
T

Tilzbow

WKR
Also, in addition to abrasion resistance being the sheep hunt will be in Northern BC the string and cables must remain stable under constantly changing weather conditions.

Vandal 44

WKR
I use 452X for my cables and string. I feel its very stable, the cold and heat do not effect the cables and string like it does on the X8190, just my opinion. Not sure if this helps. I prefer Americas Best for my threads but I think there are a lot of other good companies out there.

OP
T

Tilzbow

WKR
I've noticed a little peep rotation with the X8190 with significant humidity and/or tempature changes

This is what I will say, go on Archery talk and have a quality string maker on there make one for you.. Jbk, breathin, ex wolverine, ray knight. Are the four top ones for me. I will never go back to a mass produced string especially winners choice or vapor trail again these guys have better prices and the quality they put into it is far superior. I have a set of 8190 from jbk that has been to redding in 100 degree heat and in the mountains in 20 degree temp and they have not moved. From what I hear the bcy x is suppose to be the best from 452 and 8190 and so far from guys I trust it has lived up to that. If your really worried about abrasion ray knight makes some strings out of Rhino from brownell that he raves about in the strength and durability.

chobbs

Lil-Rokslider
I have built a couple of sets with the new BCY X material and it is pretty dang sweet. I like it much better than the 452x so far. It seems rock solid like the 452x but is much cleaner and finishes better. I think it will be a great blend for one of the best all around materials out there.

I also have had my hands on the Brownell Rhino and I am very impressed with that material. It seems bullet proof and has a much cleaner build and finish than the BCY. I am waiting on an order for the new Brownell Fury but think it is going to be pretty sweet. It is a much smaller diameter and will build with 28-32 strands instead of 20-24 like the BCY brands.

If someone prefers BCY then my go to for sure will be the new X material. If someone prefers Brownell then I will go to the Rhino. I need to experiment more on the new Fury but it may be a pretty sweet go to material after the initial woes of figuring out strand count.

Oh yeah I currently have 8190 on my rig but will be swapping to Rhino most likely. The BCY X and Rhino will both build ROCK SOLID as long as they are built properly under tension and the serving is done properly as well. A good custom hand builder like Ex-wolverine can make it happen!

chobbs

Lil-Rokslider
I do like the "feel" of the X better than the 8190 though. To me it feels more solid and stable where the 8190 has a little more spring or elasticity to it.

I have a set made by Ray knight on archery talk. If I remember right the string is the fury material and the cables are Rhino material. I really like the set.

Last edited:

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
How about an all 452X. Each cable and string is made of one continuous strand that is prestressed. Then use Halo serving for the consistency that it offers?

That has my vote!

Rolo

FNG
Agreed...452x one color, and I tend to stay away from the FL colors because of the weight and added diameter. My target rigs wear 28 strands of natural. But, the hunting bows are colored. The colored variety of 452x is a little bigger, but also more durable.

I may try the X at some time, but 452x has been a proven winner for me for years.

oct71

Lil-Rokslider
8190 for me. My experience it doesn't fuzz much and my bow shoots fine where I've been hunting. I've no reason to switch.

a3dhunter

WKR
Have the new X material on my new bow but not enough time to tell anything yet.
Have heard good things about it though, previously used either 452x or 8190 and preferred 452x from those two.

OR Archer

WKR
I've used 8190 on my last two sets with excellent results. Next set will be made of BCY X so I can test that material out.

ontarget7

WKR
8190 was way to inconsistent for my liking and I won't choose any Brownell material for the same reason. The only material I will use is 452X or BCY X