Yukon Gear as main Rain gear for Colorado Hunt

Would it be a bad idea to run Yukon gear as my main rain gear on a colorado hunt? It would be 20oz heavier than if i buy a Chugach set. So only 1 pound 4 oz of weight saving. however i can run less layers with than and no soft shell with that. I also have a small kifaru stuff sack that i can compress the rain gear down in. Here is my idea. I just don't really feel like spending 500$ on another set of rain gear.

Long Sleeve Merino
Kryptek Vest
Puffy
Yukon

Bottom
Alpine Pants

in pack
Merino Pants
Yukon Pants

I have a set of Yukons as well that I used last year in CO. I thought about trying a lighter weight set but decided the weight savings was not a deal breaker and there was no need to spend more money when the set I have works just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i think its over kill, when i think of the yukon set i think of a moose hunt where it wet and you are busting alot of brush or a hunt where you are wearing your rain gear the majority of the time.

for colorado i would definately look at the kuiu chugach or even the kuiu ultra nx or sitka dewpoint is another great option

but if you already own it then i would probably just keep what you have, i would be more apt to run the yukon jacket and pick up some lighter pants

If you have the money, buy another set of rain gear to fit the hunt. If you don't, you have a top set of rain gear to use

For Colorado the only yukon gear I would buy is the gaiters, the rest is overkill.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

If you already have it you can make that work. You might even consider leaving the pants at the truck and just taking the jacket.

Any rain gear that you already own is perfect for Colorado. I wouldn't buy anything else. I bet that I have worn my rain pants twice in 10 years. Mostly hunting archery season.

I just don't really feel like spending 500$ on another set of rain gear.

You don't have to spend $500 on rain gear for hunting CO. I rarely ever use it. I have a $30 Walls 10x rain jacket that weighs 19oz that I use when I need it. Tried the First Lite one and sold it as it wasn't much different than my cheap one. I never wear rain pants hunting. And even at 19oz I still leave the jacket behind sometimes for weight savings.

For Colorado the only yukon gear I would buy is the gaiters, the rest is overkill.

I realize it is overkill but I already own it. My next hunt is New Zealand so I will be running the Yukon gear there so don't really need another set that bad

Definitely agree with rain pants not being necessary in CO. Ditch the pants and just take the Yukon top to save some weight, or pick up a lighter weight top on the cheap and go out with that.

I realize it is overkill but I already own it. My next hunt is New Zealand so I will be running the Yukon gear there so don't really need another set that bad

Didn't realize you have it, If wanting to save weight in co and forcast permits bring a poncho and gaiters but have the yukon in the truck to be safe

That is exactly why I purchased the Yukons, a hunt in NZ in 2014 where it rained the entire 5 day hunt. Since then they have worked well salmon and halibut fishing in AK, elk hunts in Co and Duck hunting and fishing here in WI.

If you already own the Yukon set, bring the Yukon top, leave the pants behind for CO. It's probably overkill, but it will do the job if it gets nasty. Should also be able to leave behind a mid-layer. Hope this helps.

Back