Z Pack Sleeping Bags ?

Largey

FNG
Hi guys - what's everyone's thoughts on the ZPacks sleeping bags in particular the 0 degree for above and below snowline, spike camping ? Has anyone used them ?
As far as I can see untreated 900 loft goose down.

Cheers.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I've been using their 30° quilt for a few years now and have been very happy with it. I also have an EE 20° Revelation and like that design slightly better. I use the Zpacks quilt the most though due to weight and it's plenty warm for most of my trips.

OP
L

Largey

FNG
I've been using their 30° quilt for a few years now and have been very happy with it. I also have an EE 20° Revelation and like that design slightly better. I use the Zpacks quilt the most though due to weight and it's plenty warm for most of my trips.

Cheers mate - I'm just in the process of setting up a ultra light system for pack hunting here in Australia in our Alpine zone and was thinking Kuiu Superdown 0 degree bag but had been looking at ZPacks for quite sometime and the weight reduction, warmth and fill seemed great for the $ over the Kuiu line. Moisture , mainly condensation is a concern but again any bag would suffer from this and steps can be taken to reduce this. Thanks for the feedback on your quilt.

Dinger

WKR
Cheers mate - I'm just in the process of setting up a ultra light system for pack hunting here in Australia in our Alpine zone

Hey mate,

I bought a 10F bag for the same thing...it is super warm and, for me, I could probably do with the 20 and just pack on clothes if needed.

I slept warm enough on this night to have to throw a leg out and fluff the bag a few times...

IMG_0640-X3.jpg

OP
L

Largey

FNG
That's awesome stuff Dinger - my bag will be for the same purpose hunting the ANP in Apr / May and Oct / Nov each year. How do you find the bag for tent condesation and damp conditions ? Im not too worried about keeping it dry generally just in the tent really.
Joe from ZPacks said it had a light DWR coating on the outside .

jwb300

WKR
I was on that hunt with Dinger and have the same bag. Not sure if there is something wrong with mine or if I just sleep a lot colder but I slept in mine recently and it was maybe 0C and I was cold. Had to put thermals on to sleep. I'm not super happy with it for cold weather. Certainly light enough just not as warm as I would like.

OP
L

Largey

FNG
I own a lot of zpacks gear. Absolutely top notch. But, I'm quite certain that they don't offer a 0 degree bag.

Cheers - my mistake - definitely looking at the 10 degree bag - I was sidetracked thinking of the Super Down 0 degree as I typed. My bad.

OP
L

Largey

FNG
I was on that hunt with Dinger and have the same bag. Not sure if there is something wrong with mine or if I just sleep a lot colder but I slept in mine recently and it was maybe 0C and I was cold. Had to put thermals on to sleep. I'm not super happy with it for cold weather. Certainly light enough just not as warm as I would like.

Ah bugger this is the 1st negative I've read - i sleep warm - but even so would be good to know if they are punching what they say etc. I'm half expecting to layer up at times - I slept in -11 C last year here in Tas in a cheap $40 Columbia -20C synthetic bag without a hood and noticed a shiver or two around 4am - even the Jack Russell crawled in - I reached for a parka to place over the bag and was fine after that. It may pay to call them ? Also have I seen previously you are running an Exo Pack ?

OP
L

Largey

FNG
Hey mate,

I bought a 10F bag for the same thing...it is super warm and, for me, I could probably do with the 20 and just pack on clothes if needed.

I slept warm enough on this night to have to throw a leg out and fluff the bag a few times...

IMG_0640-X3.jpg

Cheers mate - this sounds like what I'm after. It's interesting JWB300 same night same bag was reaching for extra layers. Like you say " for you ". It's so hard knowing living over here without buying sight unseen and outplaying the big $ etc. I'm pretty confident though I'd be similar to you.

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
Most nylons used in sleeping bags have some type of DWR coating, but you're still talking about ultralight, ultra-thin fabric. If you've got so much condensation that it's actually dripping on the bag, I wouldn't count on any ultralight bag to stay dry for very long. Constant moisture will eventually wet it out. Like I said, they make a great product with excellent warmth to weight ratios, but definitely not waterproof. I would make the following recommendations on buying their bags. If you think you may be in twenty degree temps, get a ten degree bag. The weight penalty is so minor, it's totally worth it. Also, size up one width and length from what you think you need. None of the widths are enormous. You want thermal efficiency, obviously, but a little room to accommodate a puffy if you need it is invaluable. When you cinch the top closed when it's cold, you'll lose a little length as it closes up. One size up will let you cinch it up a little higher without pulling it so tight that you lose loft at the top and in the footbox.

jwb300

WKR
Ah bugger this is the 1st negative I've read - i sleep warm - but even so would be good to know if they are punching what they say etc. I'm half expecting to layer up at times - I slept in -11 C last year here in Tas in a cheap $40 Columbia -20C synthetic bag without a hood and noticed a shiver or two around 4am - even the Jack Russell crawled in - I reached for a parka to place over the bag and was fine after that. It may pay to call them ? Also have I seen previously you are running an Exo Pack ?

Yeah mate I've been using an Exo for a while. Couldn't be happier with the pack.

What were you sleeping on?

OP
L

Largey

FNG
Most nylons used in sleeping bags have some type of DWR coating, but you're still talking about ultralight, ultra-thin fabric. If you've got so much condensation that it's actually dripping on the bag, I wouldn't count on any ultralight bag to stay dry for very long. Constant moisture will eventually wet it out. Like I said, they make a great product with excellent warmth to weight ratios, but definitely not waterproof. I would make the following recommendations on buying their bags. If you think you may be in twenty degree temps, get a ten degree bag. The weight penalty is so minor, it's totally worth it. Also, size up one width and length from what you think you need. None of the widths are enormous. You want thermal efficiency, obviously, but a little room to accommodate a puffy if you need it is invaluable. When you cinch the top closed when it's cold, you'll lose a little length as it closes up. One size up will let you cinch it up a little higher without pulling it so tight that you lose loft at the top and in the footbox.

Thanks Rusty - good points mate esp the upsizing - re moisture - I think it's my tent ( MSR - Skinny 1 single walled thing ). I'll change tent in the next 12 months or so I recon to help with this problem.

OP
L

Largey

FNG
Yeah mate I've been using an Exo for a while. Couldn't be happier with the pack.

I just ordered an Exo 3500 in Multi off Steve last week and it is in transit atm - I'm hoping this will be big enough for 3-5 days on Sambar ( mainly 3 nights ) . Again without seeing one before ordering I was left with only a heap of good feedback on here and in general etc but I'm glad you find yours great in our scrub mate.

jwb300

WKR
I just ordered an Exo 3500 in Multi off Steve last week and it is in transit atm - I'm hoping this will be big enough for 3-5 days on Sambar ( mainly 3 nights ) . Again without seeing one before ordering I was left with only a heap of good feedback on here and in general etc but I'm glad you find yours great in our scrub mate.

All depends on your kit but you should be fine. I just sold my 3500 bag because the 5500 bag packs down so small I never used the 3500. I heard recently on Steve's podcast that the 3500 CI bag is closer to 4400 CI if I recall correctly. I have been really happy with mine and the K2 frame will be even better.