Zamberlan Vios 1006 and Lathrop and Sons

gramirau

FNG
This is an update on Zamberlan Vios 1006 boots and Lathrop and Sons. I see this site as a place for knowledge and sharing your experiences, so here goes:

I won (via Rokslide contest/draw) a pair of boots from Lathrop and Sons in early 2015
I also purchased the custom fit package that Lathrop and Sons provides (my expense)
Stephen Lathrop then analyzed my feet via photos and foot tracings which were part of the custom package
After analyzing my feet, his wording was something to the effect of "freakishly large forefoot" and some type of anatomical anomaly on my heels that's creating a jutting out portion. There's a medical term for it, but I forget. It means I'll be prone to heel blisters forever.
For what I wanted (mountain/foothills boot for mid season and onward), he recommended Zamberlan Vios 1006

These boots are part of the "Wide Last" boots that Zamberlan makes. They don't have a size "wide" per se, but I think they're all in a wide size. If my freakishly wide forefoot can fit, it's a wide boot.

I then tried them on some hikes and got heel blisters in the first hikes. Part of the problem (i think) was I was training in relatively warm weather with mid to late season boots. My feet would sweat and chew the heels a bit. But pretty much only the heels. I then changed the plan and added leuko tape and changed socks every few hours (alternating). This was just for the first few hikes. After a few hikes, they seemed to settle in for me and only leukotape on the heels were required.

Fast forward to hunting season: I used them for elk and mule deer hunting in foothills/mountains without any issues, provided I put leukotape on my heels. Given my anatomical heel issue (see above), I don't know if I can fault the boot in this case. They've had probably 200 miles on them this fall and still look pretty good. The rand is still holding up fairly well, so is the tread. I've used them with crampons (6 point CAMP slip-ons) and didn't have an issue, except I scuffed the leather with one spike. Wet snow, wet grass, rain, etc I didn't have any issues with water provided I used gaiters.

Pack weight ranged from 50-70 lbs on pack-ins and up to 120 lbs on a pack-out and I didn't have any issues. I found them supportive but not too restrictive, if that makes sense. I could sidehill with reasonable confidence on relatively steep terrain.

Pros:
Seem fairly durable so far (200+ miles)
Wide forefoot
Warm (if that's a good thing for you)
So far, I'd say waterproof

Cons:
Warm (if that's an issue for you)
The lace eyelets are too close, which is a pain when you take out and re-install the laces for cleaning. There's almost no room to thread the lace through again. Minor issue, I know, but it's nevertheless a Con.

In summary, I will be continuing to use these boots next season at this rate of wear and tear on them and they should be at least considered for those looking for a foothills/mountain boot with a wide forefoot. As I keep hearing, everyone's foot is different so who knows if they'll work for you but I'm one point in the sample data for you to noodle.

I similarly had a great experience with the Lathrop and Sons custom boot package and dealing with Stephen Lathrop. They got me a boot that worked (after a small break in period) for my intended goal. That's the most I could ask of them. Some say it's a little pricey, but it's a hell of alot cheaper than buying 6 pairs of boots to figure out that 5 of em don't work.

I had tried Lowas Tibets in the standard width and it didn't work out for my feet. I still have them, but they're collecting dust at the moment.

Thanks for the timely review.

After 5 years or so I'll be replacing my VIOS 996's this off season. Since I first bought them my foot has changed/flattened. I think, hopefully, I've worked thru my planter fascietis issues but I am now starting to blow them out at the outside pinkie knuckle. These sound like they may be the perfect replacement.

And btw. 200 miles is just barely breaking them in ;)