Zeiss Conquest HD vs. Leica Trinovid HD

ndhtr

FNG
I am thinking about upgrading my current binos (Vortex Viper HD) and I was looking at the Zeiss Conquests and Leica Trinovids. I've been looking around and I've been able to find these for the same price. Unfortunately, there isn't a sporting goods store near me that carries both models so I can't look for myself. Has anyone compared the two?

Also I'm not dead set on these but after looking through old threads they seem like good options for the price.

2blade

WKR
You can't go wrong with either one, they are really close. To my eyes tho the Trinovid controls CA a little better. Fov is about the same. The Conquest weighs a little more but is built like a tank. IPD doesn't go as low on the Trinovid if thats an issue. Conquest takes a standard tripod mount, the Trin needs a special one from Outdoorsmans. Do the places you are considering ordering from allow returns? If so, I would order both and send back the one you don't like.

Had the conquest for awhile. My two gripes were eyecups that are easy to break (although Zeiss of course will take care of it), and the focus wheel was a little too jumpy/fast for me. I have some Leica duovids now which are ultravid glass. IMO I prefer the bright Zeiss image for some reason, but Leica has a better build quality overall.

OP
ndhtr

ndhtr

FNG
Gripes on the zeiss are the eyecups and the servicing trying to get them was an absolute pain at least here in canada. Concider a pair of Swarovski SLC.
I’ve been looking around but it seems the SLC are around $500 more which is a little out of my budget at the moment. Are the eyecups really that bad?

My advice to you is don’t skimp on glass. I would say save your money and buy once cry once. You won’t regret it.

Fondle pairs to do a comparison as well it’s worth your time especially with the amount you will spend.

Eye cup wise, they would crack after awhile with adjustments. Took a year and half to get replacements and because I kept calling them every few months they sent me random spread out orders so I had a surplus of them.

excaliber

WKR
Maybe it's harder in Canada but I wrote Zeiss and had the new longer Eye Cups in a week. I would not let that affect your decision on the Zeiss Conquests. Mine are excellent. They are arguably the best in their price range.

Benjamins

FNG
I know this is an old thread but just curious if the OP ever decided which one to get? Or if anyone else has any opinions. I have scheels gift cards saved up and looking at these two binoculars l but having a real hard time deciding. I looked at them both in store but couldn't tell much difference during the day.

OP
ndhtr

ndhtr

FNG
I ended up going with the Zeiss Conquests and I really like them. The eyecups are kind of a pain but not that bad if you don't adjust them that often. I didn't have the chance to compare the two when I purchased mine so I really can't give a fair opinion on which is better but I have been happy with the conquests.

HuntnPack

WKR
I just picked up a pair of the Leica Trinovids
10x42 HD. After comparing the 2 outside,
I preferred these over the Zeiss.
For me they had good glass, controls, size, weight, balance, & build quality.

I’ve compared both of those binoculars side by side. Overall, it’s pretty close and really comes down to personal preference. My obervations:

Optics - my eyes very slightly prefer the view through the Conquests. Subjectively, they are a tad brighter and more immersive with slightly better depth of field than the Trin. Also find the Trins sweet spot a little tighter. Much has been made here about CA with the HDs, but I think folks are mostly repeating what they’ve read somewhere - to my eyes they are about equal, but neither has the CA levels of an SLC. So, overall I find the HD just a bit better optically but the Trins are very close.

Build and ergonomics - apparent build quality goes to the Leica. Fit and finish are sharp and to me it handles and feels better in the hand than the HD. I also like Leica’s focuser a little better. I don’t wear glasses so eyecups aren’t usually an issue for me. One thing almost never discussed is protective lens coatings. Here the HD is the clear winner as the HDs get Zeiss’s premium LotuTec coating, but the Trinovid does not get Leica’s premium AcuaDura coating - that’s reserved for the Ultravid and above. As far as ruggedness it is anybody’s guess - both appears tough. But there is a YT Video of an HD being run over by a truck and shot with a shotgun. Check it out,

Benjamins

FNG
That's exactly the info I have been looking for! Thanks a ton for taking the time to write that up.

I am thinking about upgrading my current binos (Vortex Viper HD) and I was looking at the Zeiss Conquests and Leica Trinovids. I've been looking around and I've been able to find these for the same price. Unfortunately, there isn't a sporting goods store near me that carries both models so I can't look for myself. Has anyone compared the two?

Also I'm not dead set on these but after looking through old threads they seem like good options for the price.
Both are great. I own the Leica’s and have been drawn to them because of how true the colors are to my eyes as well as how forgiving the range of focus is.

TheGDog

WKR
I loved my 10x42 Conquest HD's so much (which I picked up from somebody on here used, which replaced some DiamondBacks) that I instantly thought "Wow! I gotta see what looking thru some 15's of this is like!" So I later on bought the 15's too! (replaced the Vultures).

I like the way their focus ring works! Doesn't take as much movement to hurry up and whip into focus in a rush/hurry. And only in Open-Country Desert Hills terrain do I ever bother bringing the 15's, because the 10's are just that good all by themselves for most of the other terrain types I goto that are more chaparral and thicker.

Outdoorsman's Micro-Pan Head, with Tall Bino Adapter.

P.S. biggest difference you'll notice compared to those other you have... is... beside the clarity and contrast... the Depth of Field of what is in focus within the FOV, in terms of what is in front of and behind the object you're focused on.

With those Vultures, the depth of field SUCKS by comparison. Very narrow depth of field comparatively speaking. They'll get the job done, but that Depth of Field makes everything more efficient, because your eyes/brain is just taking in soo much more information from what in that FOV. A narrow depth of field makes you have to use the focus wheel more to fish around for focus to see more what's in front of where you're pointing, and behind where you're pointing the binos.

Whereas with the Zeiss I'm quickly seeing things WELL in front of and WELL behind what I'm most focused upon in the image with the focus wheel.

Even if you don't have a Tripod yet? Get the Outdoorsman's Bino Stud Adapter and install it. I find myself always hooking one of my fingers over that post when doing quick bino-checks hand-holding it. That extra finger hooking onto that post let's ya more easily do quick 1-handed glassing checks by hand. If I didn't have that post on there, I'd likely have to use two-hands in order to be able to also manipulate the focus ring all with just one hand. It just makes hand holding a degree more stable for some reason. Probably because it give me more leverage for holding onto it, rather than just fingers around the one barrel.

Last edited: