Zeiss Conquest vs Swaro SLC

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all working on upgrading my optics for this year a piece at a time. I’m currently running vortex viper 10x42 that I’m not overly impressed with and trying to decide on which route to go for upgrade. Most the guys I run with all hands down recommend Swaro SLC if I’m making a jump up but I also see the zeiss conquest mentioned here positively. Looking at 10x used SLC tend to run around 1400 or I can pick up a pair of conquest 10x42 hd here locally for 600. Are the SLC worth almost $1000 more? Is there any others I should look at?

ZackP

WKR
For that price, buy the Conquest and see how you like them. You can always re sale and not lose a dollar. To me? They’re not worth the extra $1000.

Maven B1.2
Meostar HD
Nikon HG
Leica Trinovid HD

I’ll even toss in the Leupold BX4 HD and Tract Toric UHD. All can be had used and less. They’re all fantastic with the Leupold on the bottom of the list.

handwerk

WKR
If they are the more recent model of the SLC’s at that price I don’t think they’ll disappoint.
If still shopping also consider the pre HD Leica Trinovids, to my eyes they are right on par with the SLC’s.

bbckfh

Lil-Rokslider
No, but if you can get Vortex Razor UHD, you’re in the same quality ballpark too, asking with the earlier Maven/Tract/Meopta recommendations…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fire power

Lil-Rokslider
Here's probably the best way I can put this.

The Zeiss Conquest HD's are Zeiss's Conquest Glass with HD coatings. The Swaro's are the same glass as the EL's (comparable with the Zeiss Victory's and the Leica Ultravid's) with different material construction for the body and housing; and an older set of coatings.

The Swaro's will have better glass, the Zeiss have better coatings. Both are good sets of Binos. Were it up to me, I'd get the Zeiss. That is only because the Swarovision coating gives me serious eye strain, not a common complaint; just my eyes. The SLC's are better binos in all reality. Look through both and make your own call. It's worth taking the time with an investment like this.

$1200 for a 10x42 SLC or $600 for a Conquest HD - either is an absolute steal if in excellent condition.

10x42's are so common you'll find a good bargain on whatever model you like if you give it a few months so don't get too hung up on the current deal because you'll have to live with it. Keep an eye on the classifieds, B&H used bino section, and Cameraland demo/open box. There are good used deals to be had as people upgrade their setup before season. That being said, Nikon HG's are the only binos I've looked through that I felt like they should have charged more for, and they're right in your price point. It's a very comfortably flattened image which extends the depth of focus quite a bit.

I have been able to compare these exact binos for a few years now side by side. The easiest way for me to explain it is - for finding animals/general hunting, I don't see a major difference/advantage. Looking at specific animals the swaros are noticeably better. With the conquest you will be able to make out the frame of a buck/bull, but maybe not all of the points/fine details. With the swaros you can see those fine details.

If you want or need the extra fine detail, spend the extra money.

tracker12

WKR
I have both. Conquest 8x32 for thick woods and cover. For everything else my SLC 8X42. Conquest are far behind in quality IMHO.

OP
R

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
Well the SLC I was after fell through so guess it’s back to the drawing board. Thinking I’ll be on the hunt now for some used SLC or EL. Talked to enough folks locally that talked bout their awesome experience with swaros and their customer service I'm sold.

OP
R

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
Is there a file somewhere listing generations and changes of Swarovski models? Ex looking at a pair of 2013 SLC, would there be any differences from newer models?

Is there a file somewhere listing generations and changes of Swarovski models? Ex looking at a pair of 2013 SLC, would there be any differences from newer models?
I’m sure there is but you’d like find it buried on BirdForum/

If memory serves, the last model of the 42mm SLCs ran from 2013-2020.

PHo

WKR
To my eyes the Conquests give me almost the exact same image as the SLCs except they have chromatic aberration throughout the whole image. If I wasn’t sensitive to CA then I’d save my money and get the Conquests. Unfortunately CA is a big issue with me so my main binos are SLCs. I don’t regret it either.

fatlander

WKR
No, but if you can get Vortex Razor UHD, you’re in the same quality ballpark too, asking with the earlier Maven/Tract/Meopta recommendations…

I traded another member here a pair of UHDs for the latest model SLC a couple years ago. He sold the UHDs within a couple days. I’ve still got the SLCs and have no plans of parting with them anytime soon. In my opinion the SLC is a much better binocular for the same money.