Zeiss Rail versus Rings

I'm looking to buy a Leica Magnus 1-6.3x24 i. I'll have the option of buying it either with or without a Zeiss rail on the bottom of the scope. Like most Americans, I've never seen a Zeiss rail on a gun before in person, let alone used or installed one. However, from what I've heard from Euro websites and videos, rail mounts are preferable to rings or ring 1-piece mounts universally.

Does anyone on here use a Zeiss or similar (S+B, Swaro, etc.) rail? How do you prefer it versus rings and ring mounts? How easy is it to mount your own scope with a Zeiss rail?

Thanks in advance!

Guessing not much use here in the states but, often contemplated the same. Tagging in!

Mt Al

WKR
I had an old German scope with a rail, I think it was a Henzolt scope, and claw mounts on a drilling (3 barreled gun) many years ago, so not on a bolt action rifle and I don't own it anymore. Plus it wasn't a pure "zeiss" rail vs a standard old German scope with a rail.

In your neighborhood are the top notch experts at German scopes and mounts, New England Custom Gun. I'd strongly recommend contacting them before you get my 2 cents. They'll know.

My 2 cents: scopes with rails look really cool IMHO, are traditional, etc.. but I can't imagine there being any real, actual, proven benefit unless the rings/bases on the rifle are not lined up correctly in the first place.

Since you're buying a straight tube scope with relatively low magnification and small (not as much light gathering) objective, is this a Mauser or Sauer German rifle with a cool metric caliber? If so, it would be cruel of you to not share pictures of it!

OP
C
I had an old German scope with a rail, I think it was a Henzolt scope, and claw mounts on a drilling (3 barreled gun) many years ago, so not on a bolt action rifle and I don't own it anymore. Plus it wasn't a pure "zeiss" rail vs a standard old German scope with a rail.

In your neighborhood are the top notch experts at German scopes and mounts, New England Custom Gun. I'd strongly recommend contacting them before you get my 2 cents. They'll know.

My 2 cents: scopes with rails look really cool IMHO, are traditional, etc.. but I can't imagine there being any real, actual, proven benefit unless the rings/bases on the rifle are not lined up correctly in the first place.

Since you're buying a straight tube scope with relatively low magnification and small (not as much light gathering) objective, is this a Mauser or Sauer German rifle with a cool metric caliber? If so, it would be cruel of you to not share pictures of it!

From what I've gathered, the tangible advantages to rail mounting are:

*No marks on the scopes from the rings
*More robust because of the larger mounting surface area
*Leveling the scope is easier when mounting because there's no need to level the scope within rings; the reticle is leveled with the rail from the factory

The cons are that rail mounting is only an option on high end German/Austrian scopes, there aren't as many base options, and it'd probably hurt on resale value here in the US.

Looks like NECG sells Recknagel mounts for Zeiss rail scopes on their website. I'm familiar with NECG but I haven't had the chance to send any work their way yet.

And yes, this is going on a Euro rifle in a metric caliber, pictures will come once the scope goes on ;)

Last edited:

Mt Al

WKR
Those pros actually sound pretty good and resale/shmesale - all that matters is that it works for you.

Can't wait to see pics! I reloaded 9x57R in the past and will be doing 8x57JRS soon. So many great metric calibers, so little time and money.

xFREDx

Lil-Rokslider
They don't set as low, but that depends on your head placement and your preference. If you had a 56mm objective it would be ideal for mounting it as that is what most of the bases are designed for. Other than that i hope it becomes more popular on scopes in the future. the bases are pricy. Some of the cheapest i have seen are $150 and normally upwards of $300 and all the way up to $500 but depends on the manufacturer and their mount type.