Zeiss SFL a year later? How do they stack up?

Bluto

WKR
I’ve just about decided on 8x binos, and as a stand alone product or even stacked against other Zeiss products they seem to be a hit. At least in that context, we’ve all seen @robby denning reviews on them.

For those that have field use and put them up against alpha offerings (directly or from previous direct experience?)

EL 8.5x42 vs the 8x40 SFL? Leica Ultravid or noctovid? Others?

Used models of the alpha 8’s seem to float around the same price as the SFL new. The big gain to me personally is the smaller size and weight. (Especially compared to Victory SF’s which I love, but even compared to the EL’s.)

Any thoughts here?

Note - I didn’t mention NL’s because they’re in another universe for price. And the FOV is so massive I didn’t think they’d be a direct comparison.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Yeah I couldn’t decide last year so I rented some. Ended up with SF 8x42’s and I did like them. I had also (previously) purchased EL’s, SF’s, Maven B6, and GPO HD’s to compare, but all in 10x.

I mean, in theory the SF *should be better. I just hate that the 8’s have the same form and weight as the 10’s, and the SF’s aren’t exactly the smallest option. (They did fit me a little better than the EL’s, but I was mostly indifferent between the Swaro and Zeiss.)

I also have Maven B1.2 10x42 and Maven B2 9x45 and Steiner HX's 10x42.

The Steiner's are a step below the Mavens for clarity and low light. I like the size of the B1.2 but the clarity and low light of the 9x45. They are actually all very close in comparison. Where it really separates is glassing out in CO for elk and mule deer. That helps guide you to what your eyes like in glass.

I didn't think the Zeiss SFL's were $700 better than the Mavens. The SFL's were a bit brighter and had a better focus wheel and a bit better depth of focus but not crazy better.

The SF's were a big step up from the Mavens. First look from several people when comparing was wow the SF's are nice! Better focus, depth of field and depth of focus. But I would have been disappointed if I paid $3,000 for them compered to the Mavens. $1800 perfect!

One of my friends is a guide in CO, he can get whatever glass he wants. He has Maven 9x45's and Zeiss RF's.

These are the opinions of myself and my sons and a couple of guys at work. But once you have good glass you can't go back to ehhh glass!

One of the guys at work, loved the B1.2's but decided to save some $ and got I think the C2's. Nice but not as good as the B1.2's!!!!! He is okay with them but is kicking himself for not getting the B1.2.

It really is difficult to know what brand your eyes will like or what features you need until you try them out. Looking in the store or in my yard they all look great, but start looking across canyons and sage and you eyes will tell you!

I also have a Zeiss Z6 scope on my rifle, awesome!!!!!! Never had an issue with losing zero or point of impact shifts. And that's after drops, bouncing around in an ATV and truck.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Thanks for all of that. I might rent again this year and see if I truly have a preference. Trying them out at home helped get to a 50% solution, but that clearly leaves a lot to be investigated that I can’t really do at home, talking this kind of cash. I guess the up side is that anything that says Swaro or Zeiss holds value if it didn’t work out. (I’d really like to at least try Leica as well.)

I *really wanted to like the Maven B6. They just didn’t do any one thing better than anything I had to look at. The eye cups didn’t feel good, the ergos in general I didn’t really like, low light performance trailed a good bit, etc. Which sucks, because - again - at their price point I really wanted them to be a great fit for me and my eyes.

S.Clancy

WKR
I picked up a pair of SFL 10x40 and compared them to my current binos (Meopta MeoStar) and an older pair of Swaro SLC's. To my eyes they are brighter than both at low light, and a tiny bit clearer. That, while still being dang near a pound lighter than either the SLC or Meopta.

The one thing for me I couldn't get over is I did not like the SFL eyecups, I much prefer the Meopta. So, I sold the SFL to my brother and kept the Meopta. But, I used them off a tripod, shed hunting and turkey hunting. The lower weight very nearly outweighed the eyecups for me, almost. My brother loves them.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Check out Midway, they are having a demo sale on binocs. I picked up the SF's for $1889!!!!!!!!
I’ll take a peek, thanks! I have a lowball offer pending on a set of new EL 8.5x42 as well. We’ll see.

I picked up a pair of SFL 10x40 and compared them to my current binos (Meopta MeoStar) and an older pair of Swaro SLC's. To my eyes they are brighter than both at low light, and a tiny bit clearer. That, while still being dang near a pound lighter than either the SLC or Meopta.

The one thing for me I couldn't get over is I did not like the SFL eyecups, I much prefer the Meopta. So, I sold the SFL to my brother and kept the Meopta. But, I used them off a tripod, shed hunting and turkey hunting. The lower weight very nearly outweighed the eyecups for me, almost. My brother loves them.

I‘m curious if the cups are the same as the SF? Comparing the EL/SF/Maven/GPO my eyes liked the Zeiss the best.

The low light performance is a big deal to me, as is size/weight (not at the expense of performance.) Man, talk about going down the optics rabbit hole. 30 pages just in one thread at birdforums on the SFL. NERDS! (I mean that as a compliment.)

Most seem to be really high on the SFL. Not to sell off alpha glass, but for someone like me who’s just looking to upgrade from junk? Might be the answer to a lightweight option with high performance, updated coatings, and good low light performance.

Im basically down to EL or SFL for roughly the same price new, if my offer is accepted. If I read rokslide I should definitely get EL’s. If I read birdforums it’s the SFL all day. (8x only. The 10x is not very highly regarded.)

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Addendum - I don’t want to sound like I’m shunning this place for the birders. Just a different perspective, and they basically only obsess over one piece of gear.

It’s worth noting that as a rule they do not use tripods for binos. Like, I have yet to find evidence of one - and they almost completely discount edge clarity as a feature, which I assume is a related phenomenon.

That said, it’s getting tough to argue against the SFL’s with their knowledge, and the SF’s are coming up on a decade old so the SFL may be a precursor to a “new” SF coming up? Seems natural, and would relegate the SFL’s again to truly sub-alpha.

Just IMO.

Last edited:
Im basically down to EL or SFL for roughly the same price new, if my offer is accepted. If I read rokslide I should definitely get EL’s. If I read birdforums it’s the SFL all day. (8x only. The 10x is not very highly regarded.)
I don't know about SFL's but I had Swaro EL 10x50s and Zeiss SF* 8x42s at the same time. Ended up keeping the EL's since for my eyes personally they turned out best. Part of that though is I wear glasses so I may have different considerations than you might if you don't.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Love both the EL and SF. The SF edges out the best for me, but I really have to nitpick to be honest. (The Zeiss eyecups treat me the best of any I’ve tried.)

Full transparency - part of this is that I want the SFL’s to be on par or *very near the EL due to the Zeiss eye cups, I slightly prefer the image, and the size weight is phenomenal if they’re that good. My biggest optical performance factor is low light performance, and supposedly the SFL’s are excellent.

Not that any alpha glass isn’t.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
subscrxibed!

still using the SFL 10x40s a year later. like having a 1/4-20 option on a smaller bino.

as I said in the review, they don’t resolve at the level of the SFs, but a good trade off for the tripod mount/better light performance.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
subscrxibed!

still using the SFL 10x40s a year later. like having a 1/4-20 option on a smaller bino.

as I said in the review, they don’t resolve at the level of the SFs, but a good trade off for the tripod mount/better light performance.
Hopefully some heavy users chime in and add some. I know there were a few commenters in your test threads that had some on the way. I do find it interesting there is such disparity between the 8 and the 10’s with the birders.

The 1/4-20 option isn’t to be understated, either. Thanks for the reminder! That’s a big factor for me as well; just not quite as high ranking as low light performance, and size/weight.

Gotta pull the trigger on EL 8.5’s by tonight or roll with SFL’s this year. (Up in your neck of the woods, actually. Just got a leftover tag via an outfitter for Pioneer zone. Hopefully my decisions on the 8x for archery elk is a good one!)

The SFL's are a great set of glass. I don't remember having any issues with the eye cups. For my needs they just didn't wow me enough away from the Mavens for the price difference.

I also read and watched You tube from birders. Makes some of the opinions on here look amateur...lol.

It's great we can have these threads nitpicking minor stuff about biocs. When I first started hunting a $50 pair of binocs were expensive and worked just fine!!!!!!!

They also had some Swaro demos on Midway. I couldn't look anymore or my wife would kill me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Haha I know exactly what you mean. On all of the above - first archery elk I killed using vortex diamondbacks. Don’t tell my wife that, either.

I’m dangerously close to buying SFL’s and EL’s and then selling my least favorite at the end of September…